What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

20K WATTS IN ROCKWOOL

My input, although over watering is really hard to do, I have experience this with certain strains. I've been growing 4x4 RW in cubes tables for years with a 30 gal bucket and 4x4 table, an insufficient reservoir indeed, but I have been able to control the solids buildup from low level flooding by top feeding with 300ppm solution on weekly intervals(the intervals is dependent in flower weather they are heavy feeding or light feeding). Which prompted me to use build PICO manifold drip system to integrate into my flood n drain system, so i have a hybrid drip and ebbnflow recirculating system.

Also, I use a coco tek mat for the roots to build into and being that coco dries out a lot faster then RW it also prompted me to build the hybrid system to keep the two medium sufficiently most. Also i believe the root mass underneath the mat is in a aero environment with the amount of moister between the trays and the mats.

My feeding goes: Drip once and flood 3 times a day. The flooding only floods enough to drench the coco tek mats. The top drip prevents the salt buildup in the RW and allow me to flush out the RW when needed.

I cover the trays with the Panda sheet that i cut up so to keep the moister in the mats. Using RO water, the PH begins to stabilize by week 2 of flower and adjusting PH daily becomes less of a problem. My Panda sheets are held together by: Gorilla tape each corners and cut a slit, put a small screw at each corner of the tray, and put the screw through the slit at each corner(just like button up or unbutton a shirt).

Attachments

• image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 10
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 9
  • image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 9
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 9
the tray in the back of the second picture got root rot late in flower, it was the second time that tray got root rot which prompted me to believe theres sitting water in the tray. Although I do have the trays slightly unleveled to have the water drain I believe the weight of the plants made the tray sag in the middle. I'll further investigate the problem but that shit messed up 2 of my harvest already

BadRabbit

growing303- You essentially plunge a syringe into your block and extract a liquid sample from within. When the ph starts to rise due to RW inherent alkaline ph, out of your desired range, this would determine when to water again to correct it. And like I stated previously there is no preset time which this occurs. And can change do to the water/nutrient consumption of the plant and even sometimes from the nutrients being used. It is the only definitive way to know what is actually going on inside the cube, as your nutrient solution will never show exactly the same readings as you find inside the cube.

ok ... nonsense.

first, today's rw is ph balanced ... and has been FOR YEARS.

http://grodan101.com/faq/soaking-grodan-proper-ph-growing

using in mass quantities for decades friend ... it's simply NOT TRUE.

sorry, I'm a bud, I don't mean to call people out, but it's a bunch of dirt heads who think RW works like dirt.

It doesn't.

there's no equivalent. YOU CAN"T OVERWATER IT!@

Again ... take two blocks ... throw 20 gallons of water on one.

Throw 1/2 gallon on the other.

Use your syringe to "scientifically" test them out about 5 minutes later.

They will both have the EXACT same moisture level.

But whatever, carry on. There's a reason it's the media of choice for virtually all large scale indoor grow ops .... it has well designed properties that deliver a near ideal mixture of ox and moisture to the roots .... NO MATTER HOW MUCH WATER YOU POUR ON IT ... and stays that way for hours and hours.

no offense .... just tellin' ya the real story.

I know it will never sink in with the folks on this board, but no, you're wrong, you just don't understand how the stuff works.

love and peace

DunHav`nFun

the tray in the back of the second picture got root rot late in flower, it was the second time that tray got root rot which prompted me to believe theres sitting water in the tray. Although I do have the trays slightly unleveled to have the water drain I believe the weight of the plants made the tray sag in the middle. I'll further investigate the problem but that shit messed up 2 of my harvest already

Look guys....I rarely post anymore , BUT the reason I did in this thread is because flood trays are notorious for buckling under weight of liquid and plants and GUARANTEED what Pluto just posted about root rot is because of after flood and drain sequence , the cubes remained sitting in leftover solution and the roots drowned ....period....and again....

I`m glad all you guys that do multifeeds with RW cubes have no problems with overwatering , because just like multifeed coco there`s constant O2 to roots replenishment , and folks swear and be damned you cant overwater coco and that`s bullshit too...but...

Cubes sitting in solution between feeds causes ph imbalances because the plant stops nutrient uptake when its drowning without O2 to roots....aight....

My 2 cents from all them yrs....and yes.... you can overwater ANY medium....without constant levels of O2 to roots...

Peace....DHF.... :ying:....

RoostaPhish

Veteran
Ok guy ph balanced does not mean ph perfect. Nutrients are ph balanced as well yet still fluctuate. Rw still has an inherent alkaline nature. I'm not gonna argue about it, or call my self more experienced. No point.

Hi IC mag, thank you all for discussing Rockwools water/ph retaining properties, much of this i am unfamiliar with.

I have been doing a little bit of checking into ph retention my self...penetrating a lot of these cubes with a syringe.

starting to bud

growing up

next round

GG #4 Buds never really filled out

BadRabbit

Ok guy ph balanced does not mean ph perfect. Nutrients are ph balanced as well yet still fluctuate. Rw still has an inherent alkaline nature. I'm not gonna argue about it, or call my self more experienced. No point.

I didn't really disagree with you about anything you just said there.

And I doubt you could call yourself more experienced .... but you're right, who cares about that.

I addressed the "over watering" idea more than ph. But the ph balanced issue is important.

Very often, um, some forums, like this one, you have people talking about the scary ph properties of RW. And good reason for that ... when I started using it in the 90's, RW was crazy alkaline and soaking and ph downing it was absolutely essential.

Today's RW, and it's been like this for years now, is ph balanced which, you're right, it doesn't mean it's "ph perfect", is means that it's much less alkaline than it used to be. RW today, straight into your system will cause a small bump in ph, but it's small, not huge like before, and it dissipate in a day or so.

And, if you're adding in ph balanced nutes like GH .... you're not going to be far off. Not like the old days.

I think it's these kind of things that scare off people from hydro sometimes, they hear all the talk of scientifically understanding this and balancing that .... when, in practice, it's simple and easy to get great results from a basic ebb and flow hydro system, either with RW or pebbles.

No arguing, just discussing.

BadRabbit

Look guys....I rarely post anymore , BUT the reason I did in this thread is because flood trays are notorious for buckling under weight of liquid and plants and GUARANTEED what Pluto just posted about root rot is because of after flood and drain sequence , the cubes remained sitting in leftover solution and the roots drowned ....period....and again....

I`m glad all you guys that do multifeeds with RW cubes have no problems with overwatering , because just like multifeed coco there`s constant O2 to roots replenishment , and folks swear and be damned you cant overwater coco and that`s bullshit too...but...

Cubes sitting in solution between feeds causes ph imbalances because the plant stops nutrient uptake when its drowning without O2 to roots....aight....

My 2 cents from all them yrs....and yes.... you can overwater ANY medium....without constant levels of O2 to roots...

Peace....DHF.... :ying:....

No, you can't, not in RW or pebblles. You're conflating two different issues.

What you're talking about is a sagging flood table leaving a puddle of the middle of your grow table. YES, that is a problem. But it's not a problem of over watering, it's a problem of bad drainage due to a bad set up.

Marijuana feet don't like to stay wet, and that is true in any/all media or systems ...

Match the tub or stand to the table. If it's a bad fit, improvise some cross boards or something to stabalize/even out the table.

When you set up the table, run it and see how it works .... if it leaves puddles, fix it. Use a level to balance it nicely from both side to side and lengthwise (in fact, tilt just slightly to the drain end).

Do all that, eliminate puddles.

Don't worry about "over watering" .... that's a symptom, not a problem and no, on a properly drained surface, it's simply not going to happen.

best

BadRabbit

And minor clarification ... the "drain end" will always be the side that has the "pump in" rather than the "periscope" end. That is why that indentation will be deeper than on the other end (and most any table produced today that is).

Fresh Kind

I could be wrong but it looks and sounds like you have a broad mite infestation building. This is an old thread but if you read this I would definitely look into.

YetiOG

Hello ICMAG, I have been on and off the sight many years. some of you may have followed my past SOG.

Time to get started again; full legal under my plant count. Not using any harmful pesticides or fungicides this time.

33X digital 600W ballasts running Digimax and Plantmax bulbs.

25 plants per light ebb and flow with polly plastic over the tables.

4" cubes. General Hydroponics three part with some additives.

I am in the process of converting all the rooms to SOG.

this is my first HYDRO grow and i would love some input, as always thank you to the legends of ICmag you guys taught me to grow.
you guys know who you are.

[URL=http://s10.postimg.org/r5l7rnhz9/IMG_0004_1.jpg]View Image[/url]

Some big plants getting flowered

[URL=http://s16.postimg.org/n54a63mpd/IMG_0005_1.jpg]View Image[/url]

power board

[URL=http://s28.postimg.org/jk18t3zl5/IMG_0006_1.jpg]View Image[/url]

more big plants

Is that first pic 3 gal bags of croutons? I mix perlite into croutons i love that shit nice grow man. Not all that often im blown away with hydro grows but thats just nice.

Maybe i like seeing others who do similar stuff. Lol