What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pot for Pennies! Southern Oregon 2019

HellaFella420

Veteran
:2cents:
POT FOR PENNIES!!
:2cents:

I unexpectedly was offered the opportunity and ultimately took possession of a small farm in Southern Oregon on July 1st. The areas outlined should ultimately end up under cultivation

picture.php

Going to take my best crack at producing the most Ganjaweed possible for the least amount of capital investment in the shortest amount of time. Preparations for this entire endeavor didn't even cross my mind until June 15th or so, this entire undertaking literally fell into my lap.... --Fingers Crossed--

picture.php

Will be using all the preexisting infrastructure [which is free!] after a giant cleanup but be focusing on amending and planting in the native soils. Saving $$ and most importantly time, planting in the native soils will allow us a myriad of benefits once properly irrigated. Forget about pallets of Ocean Forest or truckloads of some engineered potting mix, We be Farming!

The neighborhood seems to be crackin', can't wait to make friends!
picture.php

Last edited:

HellaFella420

Veteran
Only caught wiff of this situation on June 15th, had the beginning dirt work done on the 18th, and moved the 1st batch of plants up on The Solstice: June 21st.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Hemp Farmers putting their crop in on the Solstice, wish I had roots down that day. So much work still!
picture.php

HellaFella420

Veteran
Topping off at McGrew's before the ride home.. Beatles/Greatful Dead coverband tuning up just as we walked in!

picture.php

picture.php

Friday/Saturday night is Prime Rib Special night, well "When in Rome" amirite??

Holy fuck it was amazing! With the Caramelized Onion Bacon setup of course

picture.php

Meanwhile the Chef should be investigated for Attempted Murder for serving this epic heart attack of Potatoes Au Gratin..
picture.php

HellaFella420

Veteran
Managed to get plants in the ground in the first plot by June 28th!
Native soil is amended with 1/2 bag of Nutri-Rich pelletized Steer & Chicken, 1/2 bale of yellow Happy Frog Soil Conditioner, big scoop of Dr. Earth All-purpose 4-4-4 for its cheap biology package and quicker uptake then the pellets, Langbenite, greensand, half bag of Rice Hulls, MycoApply root-innoculant, and Sensational Solutions Micronized Compost Tea applied directly to soil.

picture.php

Looking so haggard from all this wind!
picture.php

:( They uploaded funny and I have no idea how to rotate them in here. But I'm trying something new with the drip halos, we'll see how it works!

picture.php

HellaFella420

Veteran
The last tenant didn't even start cleaning the grounds up because he seemed to realize he wasn't going to be able to proceed. So much work had to be done just to get started prepping any of the grounds, makes sense really but just that much more work for the team to have to tackle!

What a mess!
picture.php

It's a freakin' Hayfield!
picture.php

More like www.overgrowN.com
picture.php

Oh what a difference 2 days makes..., My landscaping guy is an animal!
picture.php

HellaFella420

Veteran
Team working so hard! We took official possession July 1st, and after the lawn guy cleared everything out they managed to get all the 300 gal pots and planters amended up just like the native soil mixture and then managed to get all the "BIG PLANTS" in the ground by JULY 4TH, EPIC!!
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

HellaFella420

Veteran
Now that the big stuff is in and making new roots, time to expand into the uncharted territory! You know that hay field from before?
picture.php

Now its a fully trenched amended native soil wonderland!
picture.php

picture.php

I realized once home that I forgot to take pictures of the other newly trenched and amended field, but there is still one filed that hasn't been trenched because it had a surprising rocky composition, so they took back the trencher and are renting a mini-excavator for the weekend. I should have much funner pictures after my next visit!

In the meantime enjoy this lovely Lavender Southern Oregon sunset!
picture.php

grayeyes

Looks like a lot of fun doing a grow that size.

Kinda wondering though, with the glut of product there in OR, what are you going to do with the harvest?

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
great posts!
you really turned that plot around and i hope you exceed all your wishes man

bibi40

:tiphat:Hi !

What an impressive job in few days ,
you' ll gonna do a great grow :dance013:

I wish you the best and take a seat here ,
eager to see the following .

:tiphat:

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I would so much love to do a grow like that. I would be more than willing to donate all the harvest just for the joy of doing it. At least, the first time. LOL

I would have mason jars full of rosin and 5 gallon buckets of dry sift. So much fun I can't imagine. LOL

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Very smart to be using amended native soil! When I was advising outdoor growers in the emerald triangle two decades ago, it was hard to convince them to do what you're doing. Not only will you harvest a more connoisseur product, but you'll have considerably less problems with pests than your neighbors.

People often think that 'organic' gardening is somehow more work, but that is just not true. In fact, good practices save huge amounts of needless labor.

I know quite a few growers in your area. My daughter works for someone around there who is not using your kinds of methods. She is my daughter, so she knows better, but it's not her grow. You're going to be very competitive there with your skills. The only person I know who grows that way is up in WA. I'd estimate you'll be pretty much top of the heap in the profit area if all goes well.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey hey HellaFella ... great to see you back at work. Ive always been amazed by the amount of work you get done. Great of you to share your grow. I cleaned up some of the crazy berry post. Same guy been spamming the site for years. Anyways happy to see you here . Im sure this thread will get lots of attention . You have never failed show us how its done right !! Best of luck old friend :)

HellaFella420

Veteran
Thats really hitting the ground running, very nice.

I really couldn't have been better prepared!

My normal gig is a ganjaweed nursery in the Humbolt Bay area. I started to upload a small gallery of pictures here on ICMAG but haven't built the thread yet..
https://www.instagram.com/humboldts_heirlooms/

Since I have plenty of plants of all shapes and sizes at my disposal, pretty much the day I got wind of this possibility, I had my lady in charge start making me a list of options to rehome and got them moved in so they could start hardening in the sun and heat so they could get planted ASAP.

Last edited: