What's new

First grow, first problem

stitek

Hey everyone, this is my first grow and everything has been going great for the most part. I'm in my 6th week of vegging and one of my six plants has started to have some issues. I have leaves yellowing with brown spots that start at the tip and take over the leaf.

Here's everything I can think of about the grow that might help:
Tent is 5x5. I'm running two 600 watt MH lights. All 6 plants are in 5 gallon pots with Ocean Forest soil. I've been using the Fox Farm trio nutrients at half strength. I've repeated the week four regiment (still at half strength) for the last week since I didn't switch to flowering after week 4. I alternate between giving nutrients and straight water. I don't know exactly what the pH of the water but the test comes out yellow which should be between 6 and 6.5 from the way it looks on the chart. Temps stay between 75-80, averaging around 77 while the lights are on. Temps drop to 68-70 when lights are off. Humidity is around 48-52% while lights are on, 60-65 when lights go out. This is not specific to upper or lower leaves.

If there is anything else that will help that I've left out, please let me know. This only seems to be a problem on the one plant so I'm not sure what's going on. Until this happened it was tied with one other for being my biggest plant.

stitek

Not without removing them from their pots. Here are a few more pictures. There aren't a lot of leaves showing this so far.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
that's kinda extreme but some cookie strains that I hold and OG Kush will do that on the fans when they get too cold.

also when they are root bound or not getting enough nutes. I would have switched to full nutes before they got that yellow, are you using any cal/mag?

stitek

that's kinda extreme but some cookie strains that I hold and OG Kush will do that on the fans when they get too cold.

also when they are root bound or not getting enough nutes. I would have switched to full nutes before they got that yellow, are you using any cal/mag?

I'm not using any cal/mag but I did order some today.

Farmer B

Some do look cal/meg but some are very extream. And a lot are wilted. How often do you water and how much each one. It looks be be over/under watered. You should get a PH pen. Yellow can be lower then 6.
Next time you water smell the run off. Should smell like like fresh dirt.15$ ph pen will save you a lot of hastle.

stitek

Some do look cal/meg but some are very extream. And a lot are wilted. How often do you water and how much each one. It looks be be over/under watered. You should get a PH pen. Yellow can be lower then 6.
Next time you water smell the run off. Should smell like like fresh dirt.15$ ph pen will save you a lot of hastle.

The wilted ones are probably from me watering them a bit sooner than I should have. I watered them a day early to get the nutrient water in quicker because of what I'm seeing. They get a bit over a half gallon per plant each watering which usually turns out to be every 3 days.

I try to get the pH to where is has just the slightest green hint to the yellow. I do need to get a pen as you mentioned though so I know exactly where I'm at.

I checked the runoff today when I watered and everything was good. I'll try full strength nutrients next time. Should I still continue to alternate to straight water next or should I give nutrients for a second time in a row at full strength?

Farmer B

The way you been watering I would do full strength a couple times water to run off. And see if there is a positive change. There should be. With your cal/Meg.

Farmer B

I am new also but was in similar situation. Bout same size plant 5 gal smart pots 4x4 room with 1000 w light with fox farm soil and nutes.

stitek

That makes sense. I've think I've been a little overly cautious with nutrients after reading so much saying the FF trio is too strong to do full strength. I'll give them full strength and see how everything works out.

Farmer B

I did full strength from second week till 6th week. I followed the chart. Had no problem. But I seen a lot of people doing half and made sense to do that. I went to half every watering and switch to flower. One plant I had a problem with and found out it was under fed. Way too late Was the biggest one.

stitek

it looks like tomorrow will be another watering day for this plant so I'll give it a full strength dose and see how it does. Thanks for all of the advice, it should help a lot especially now that I'm going to flip to flowering.

LAION

Veteran
You need to feed her less or she will lock out even further. Drop nutrient strength by 0.2-0.3EC and she will be fine.

Farmer B

For that size with half strength every other water it should be hungry. Root bound does that but I doubt it is. And you kinda want things going good befor you switch to flower. Kinda hard to wait though with the size of area and 6 plants.

Farmer B

You need to feed her less or she will lock out even further. Drop nutrient strength by 0.2-0.3EC and she will be fine.

Half strength every other watering is too much? How is that?
And about a half gal every few days. You are the senior member Please shed some light on that.

LAION

Veteran
Half strength every other watering is too much? How is that?
And about a half gal every few days. You are the senior member Please shed some light on that.

It looks like you have not watered your girls with enough runoff and therefore your medium has concentrated salt levels.

Best advice I can give you is go out and purchase yourself an EC meter and measure runoff water.