What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Size does matter!

Brastaman

um, taking out the battery of your car would just prevent you from starting your car. i think you meant alternator. in non-hybrids of course.

jro- you are correct. i re-read my post and i meant that the medium with more perlite produced larger root mass. picture 3812- yeah, that's a purple urkle clone. pm me.

J

jrosek

Brastaman said:
um, taking out the battery of your car would just prevent you from starting your car. i think you meant alternator. in non-hybrids of course.

jro- you are correct. i re-read my post and i meant that the medium with more perlite produced larger root mass. picture 3812- yeah, that's a purple urkle clone. pm me.
LOL...
Hey bro, I cant use the pm system until i have 50 posts or more????
Hows the smoke report on the purple urkle?? I gotta say... That is a stunning looking lady! if she smokes half as well as she looks,mmmmmmmmm!
Thanks , Jro

JRO, WOW. Thanks for the great info and pics. A lot of nearly naked ladies in that room, lol. Seems to be working for you, and I like the shorter harvest times. Must've been a really scary thing to do the first time or two.

I have only 4 plants going now in a small cab and I'm seriously considering doing this in about a week (20 days veg). Not really comfortable posting pics yet, but working on it.

So much to learn, so few brains...

Best,

DM

Last edited:
J

jrosek

Danger Mouse said:
JRO, WOW. Thanks for the great info and pics. A lot of nearly naked ladies in that room, lol. Seems to be working for you, and I like the shorter harvest times. Must've been a really scary thing to do the first time or two.

I have only 4 plants going now in a small cab and I'm seriously considering doing this in about a week (20 days veg). Not really comfortable posting pics yet, but working on it.

So much to learn, so few brains...

Best,

DM
Thanks alot bro! You are very welcome.I take pride in sharing info, and take pleasure in sharing pics!
Give us some details on your cab... lights, medium, strain, ect... Curious minds want to know!
You are correct, I was very scared to rape my pride and joy's. But i can tell you... they each way atleast 8 grams more from non trimmed, and there are no light green fluffies either. the first time i did this was with eight girls out of 30, side by side. I was very impressed!
Dont be shy, show us what you got!!
Take care, Jro

EDIT: DM, I just noticed you said 20 days veg. You only do this in flower!

Last edited:
Oops. You're right JRO. I am almost at 20 days VEG, but about to flip to 12/12. So, I still have a few more weeks before I can start seriously defrocking my girls (assuming I have any girls). My small cab is on the way out. I need more stealth, so I'm thinking about a garbage can grow like Infectualize's "High Pod." Already have most of the stuff needed to put it together, just not the time. I'll get some pics up soon.
Best,

DM

J

jrosek

Danger Mouse said:
Oops. You're right JRO. I am almost at 20 days VEG, but about to flip to 12/12. So, I still have a few more weeks before I can start seriously defrocking my girls (assuming I have any girls). My small cab is on the way out. I need more stealth, so I'm thinking about a garbage can grow like Infectualize's "High Pod." Already have most of the stuff needed to put it together, just not the time. I'll get some pics up soon.
Best,

DM
Bro, Wheres the pics?????

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
Good deal, this is turning into a good thread! ;)

I'm still here, just been real busy the last week.
I have a pair of 2ft twins to run a 12/12 test in a week or so & a twin/quad set rooted to run after that.

On trimming leaves? My rule of thumb is...
ONLY if the leaf is shading other nodes, I leave it alone otherwise.

I KNOW from an old experiment, that trimming a shade leaf WILL stunt the node that had its fan leaf trimmed...that's fact!
BUT, if that fan leaf is shading 3-5 or more nodes? Trimming that leaf WILL be beneficial.
Thats the reason I only trim leaves that actually NEED trimming.

Try it for yourself...
Find a pair of lower side by side budettes, trim the fan leaf on one side & leave the other alone.

G

Greyskull

Mahalo jrosek!
I share your philosophy and practice it with my girls... I just thought it be good for some folks to hear from someone with bonafide skills who'd done the side by sides and who could communicate eloquently so as to please all the peeps.

J

jrosek

Greyskull said:
Mahalo jrosek!
I share your philosophy and practice it with my girls... I just thought it be good for some folks to hear from someone with bonafide skills who'd done the side by sides and who could communicate eloquently so as to please all the peeps.
Thank you my friend, Been a pleasure!
by the way, Your gallery is fantastic!! Peace, Jrosek

leap270

jrosek said:
Danger, Im glad your interested, I must say i was shocked when i first heard of this procedure! Everything i knew and learned over 14yrs told me that it was insane to cut off all the fan leaves!
Low and behold, after a couple experiments, there is NO turning back!
After Long and carefull thought of why this works... I come to this conclusion:
1, The bud site itself grows small fan leaves that support the growth of the bud, Do not remove these, You can trim them if they are to large and shading other buds.
2, once the roots are established and the plant is healthy, the support of the large fan leaf is not necessary. I believe they are more essential for outside growth where the conditions are no perfect, watering feeding , ect...

Here is a pic of a set i did awhile back. if i remember correctly, i cut them off at 14 days. this seemed a little to early after it was all said and done, i now wait until 20 days or so to let some lower site's to establish.
I then trim again at day 40 or so to clear out some of the new growth that has accumulated.
A couple pics of some of some fully ripened at 56 days. this strain usually takes 65-68 in a bigger version!

I hope this helps! if you have any other Q's, shoot!
Thanks, Jro

thank you for your help man. some people say not to and you showed me it can be down. this will help me a lot on my next grow. my main problem in a grow tent was the leaves. they shade the lower bud sights. i am going to try this my next grow. i have 3 weeks left on one of my plants and 4 on the other. should i trim now still? do you see the problem:

J

jrosek

Leap,
You are welcome bro!
If they were mine... I would prune heavily, It will slow growth for a couple of days but after that, you should notice a considerable increase in the lower bud sites.
Although, if the strain you have can easily convert to hermi i would be cautious... Some strains are very sensitive to stress. ( small chance this will happen)
Make sure you take some before and after pics for us!!
Garden looks great also! Good luck, Jro
Edit: One more thing, Try to stay away from the smaller fan leaves on the bud sights, These are the main source of energy for the bud, If they are large and blocking other sites then carefully trim them back. Take your time, Use my pic as a reference to how they should look.

Last edited:
M

mexilandrace

Brastaman said:

point was more, you don't take parts off your car so it will work better.

I have tried the cutting leaves off, and I gotta say if it works it isn't across the board gospel and will likely vary between phenos.

If anyone can point to the science of why it works that is what I would like to see. This argument went for page after page on OG and it was concluded to keep the leaves on. Now I am supposed to dismiss all that?

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
J

jrosek

mexilandrace said:
point was more, you don't take parts off your car so it will work better.

I have tried the cutting leaves off, and I gotta say if it works it isn't across the board gospel and will likely vary between phenos.

If anyone can point to the science of why it works that is what I would like to see. This argument went for page after page on OG and it was concluded to keep the leaves on. Now I am supposed to dismiss all that?

Just my 2 cents.
mexi, Yes, i remember, I was part of that debate.
I was dead set against stripping as well!
I cant offer you scientific fact, only proof in the pudding. I have done this with several strains as well as many friends with great results.
I took a few try's to get it dialed in to where i think is best, However i havent had any loss of quality or weight with minor mistakes. This is why i posted my results for people to ponder, I may offer some helpfull insight in the desire for larger yields.
Peace bro, Jro

M

mexilandrace

oh ya man, I hope you didn't take what I was saying a shot on you, just a differing opinion on the same matter is all.

I had mixed results and decided it wasn't worth it for me at all. I just find strains and phenos within them that don't throw out many fan leaves anyways and like to grow straight up.

My plants are even tighter together than yours I would say.

The only warning I have for people is the leaves are the way you tell if you have nute problems, less leaves to me says the buds will be effected sooner with nute issues and the like.

Last edited:
J

jrosek

mexilandrace said:
oh ya man, I hope you didn't take what I was saying a shot on you, just a differing opinion on the same matter is all.

I had mixed results and decided it wasn't worth it for me at all. I just find strains and phenos within them that don't throw out many fan leaves anyways and like to grow straight up.

My plants are even tighter together than yours I would say.

The only warning I have for people is the leaves are the way you tell if you have nute problems, less leaves to me says the buds will be effected sooner with nute issues and the like.
Of course bro, Thats why we are here...I wish i had a strain that was killer and didnt need trimmed, trimming It is alot of work and it is the only way i can maximize my favorite strains.
I hear you on the nute burn issue, Fortunately i have learned the hard way years ago and dont have any issues anymore with nute's.
One thing though... Have you ever noticed that you can totally fry a plant with nute's, ph imbalance ect... That the buds themselves dont show any worse?? Maybe smaller but not burnt?? HMM.........
Food for thought,lol
Peace bro, Jrosek

Last edited:
M

mexilandrace

I burned the holy crap out of a whole plant last round trying to get cute with my nute regime.

buds went crisp from the bottom up, just cut the top off before it ruined the entire plant.

Just trying to say what you are suggesting isn't something an inexperienced grower should tinker with till they got every thing dialed in perfectly. And even then you run into problems from strain to strain, even pheno to pheno.

With enough experience I bet anything is possible with good results.

Hell man, I can grow great pot in miracle grow soil with only miracle grow ferts, doesn't mean I would ever tell anyone to do it.

I got one plant that I don't think I could kill if I wanted to, I am gonna try to grow a clone of it in straight compost with nothing added but perlite just to see if I can do it. I am just finishing one off in straight orchid mix, which is shale, bark, and charcoal only.

Last edited: