Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Botany and Advanced Growing Science > Let's make Double Haploids

Thread Title Search
Let's make Double Haploids Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-20-2018, 09:27 PM #31
Rox

Rox is a jewel in the roughRox is a jewel in the roughRox is a jewel in the roughRox is a jewel in the roughRox is a jewel in the roughRox is a jewel in the roughRox is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yard dog View Post
Whilst colchicine will work you can use the likes of nitrous oxide, acenaphthene, 8-Hydroxyquinoline, p-fluorophenylalanine, Chloramphenicol (ie eye drops) to name a few sources...
Even if one is to look at just mutation breeding though I'm not sure there's any benefit to cannabis doing so, you could vastly speed up the process with DH's as you can fix the mutation in the 1st gen after the treatment.. (the mutant bit is more aimed at Rox/Mate dave )

What? If you have something to say then quote me and say it, don't sit at your keyboard and launch attacks by proxy
Rox is offline Quote

Old 11-25-2018, 08:33 PM #32
cannagro

cannagro is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rox View Post
High Tony

I've been trying to get my head around this & my head is spinning managed to get as far as understanding that a double haploid is a diploid as it carries 2 sets of chromosomes..Yeah? Or is a double haploid something else?

So if i am right, a diploid is identical to its parent? A haploid is a combination of both but not unique to either parent..

So if this diploid under goes Apomixis then..BINGO! Instant homozygous seeds...

I'm so excited at this prospect, assuming I have understood this correctly?

Anybody care to share some pictures?

Thanks
So a double haploid IS a diploid BUT a diploid is not always a double haploid. Let me try to explain.... A pollen grain from the male plant is a haploid that carries 1/2 the chromosomes that will make up the final plant. The egg cell in the female has the other half of the chromosomes. We will focus on the male plant because generally double haploids are made from pollen grains.

Basic mendelian genetics says each gene has 2 possible alleles, a dominant and a recessive allele which segregate when the haploid cells are created. This means that each pollen grain contains either a dominant allele or a recessive allele. This is bad for breeders because it adds variability into their breeding program. Breeders want to know the exact alleles that are being crossed. Example: A plant with the genotype AaBbCcDd segregates into the following possible combinations of alleles in the pollen grains: AbCD, abcd, ABCD, aBCD, AbcD...... If you take one of these pollen grains (ABCD)and use it to make a double haploid then the genotype of the double haploid plant (diploid) is AABBCCDD. You take the chromosomes in the pollen grain and double them to create the proper number instead of fertilizing an egg cell. This is very good for breeders because then everytime this plant produces a seed it gives off a dominant allele and dominant alleles are generally good for yield and other traits.

So in the end... A double haploid has 2 identical sets of chromosomes and a normal diploid has 2 unique sets of chromosomes.

Hope this helps.
cannagro is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:39 AM #33
Know to grow

Know to grow is on a distinguished road
Haploids done?

Hi, I am new to this forum and re-entering the world of Cannabis. I did do some selection work in the 80's. Now looking at breeding work. I am curious if any of you has any information on success in working with haploids in Cannabis.
I have made them in several crops and I am looking for some information in Cannabis. Maybe there is more success with ovu-culture?
Any people breeding who are interested in some chatting on this, I would be very interested to exchange ideas.
Know to grow is offline Quote

Old 12-24-2018, 11:14 PM #34
englishrick
Plumber/Builder

englishrick has much to be proud ofenglishrick has much to be proud ofenglishrick has much to be proud ofenglishrick has much to be proud ofenglishrick has much to be proud ofenglishrick has much to be proud ofenglishrick has much to be proud ofenglishrick has much to be proud ofenglishrick has much to be proud ofenglishrick has much to be proud ofenglishrick has much to be proud of
Ohhh,, geeezz

I'm about to do meristem culture,, later protoplast and possibly somatic fusion,, later i wool definitely want to do this work,,,

Incredible sruff Tony