What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lab Testing Phenotypes.

S

sativaking

Say if you grow out a pack of 10 seeds (same strain). You get 5 males / 4 crappy females and one really amazing female pheno...(chosen only for its high). Has there ever been anyone that has identified genetically what makes up a really great pheno and say compare the results to the crappy females that nobody likes?

Last edited:
If your asking about specific gene markers, then no that hasnt been done, and would take literally millions of dollars and compiling an extraordinary amount of data. Plus good iswhat is good is so relative. But people do test between phenos to compare cannabinoids and terpenes, all the time, theres alot that lab tests miss too. Someday soon.

Bwanabud

If your asking about specific gene markers, then no that hasnt been done, and would take literally millions of dollars and compiling an extraordinary amount of data. Plus good iswhat is good is so relative. But people do test between phenos to compare cannabinoids and terpenes, all the time, theres alot that lab tests miss too. Someday soon.

Agreed, it would take millions in R&D to get specific answers,,,and the breeders would call BS at the end of the study :)

S

sativaking

Thanks guys, I usually love Ak47 from serious but thats what happened in the pack i got...Just wondered why.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
It's been done with apples and other crops ;) .
Now we have the Cannabis Genome Project which is actively advertised by Sam here at IC. Should they succeed and sequence some dozen to hundred 'strains' then there's a fair chance of not only finding marker genes but the really responsible genes for a decent set of phenotypes.

Bwanabud

It's been done with apples and other crops ;) .
Now we have the Cannabis Genome Project which is actively advertised by Sam here at IC. Should they succeed and sequence some dozen to hundred 'strains' then there's a fair chance of not only finding marker genes but the really responsible genes for a decent set of phenotypes.

Now that is very cool, looking forward to the info :)

S

sativaking

Yah that does sound very interesting, Pheno hunting is a bitch lol.

Bwanabud

Yah that does sound very interesting, Pheno hunting is a bitch lol.

And expensive at the end of the day, takes a long time to cycle through the plants,,,keep track of all babies, and yields of each plant...PITA for sure, but worth it.

S

sativaking

I should say that the one i chose this time is more indica dominant but there have been sativa dominant AKs in the past that have rocked.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
well testing for thc and terps is done by many...I think genetic testing is out of the question for most....yeehaw

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
well testing for thc and terps is done by many...I think genetic testing is out of the question for most....yeehaw
As soon as they (Phylos is the company's name if I remember correctly) have identified genetic markers they'll offer lab tests (likely PCR, ELISA or some kit-based multiplexing test) which costs roughly $5 (pure material cost per marker) or maybe around $50-100 (if the company doesn't profit too much from their monopole) for the end user... fair for what it is but still too much for purely private growers and hobby gardeners ;) .

The thing is, its not going to be one marker that going to be like...
the fire marker. Theres probably a better chance of IDing specific markers for say, powdery mildew resistance, and things like that than whether its going to be a good cut or not.

S

sativaking

The thing is, its not going to be one marker that going to be like...
the fire marker. Theres probably a better chance of IDing specific markers for say, powdery mildew resistance, and things like that than whether its going to be a good cut or not.

See i used to think it would be something like that but i have literally got monster plants from certain strains (very disease resistant) and ppl have hated it. Then i have had tiny plants from the same strain that you think look like nothing and ppl have loved it, very confusing.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
50 to 100 is doable for me ...that's reasonable ...yeehaw I will look into it...the more testing the better as far as I am concerned...

testymctester

Veteran
See i used to think it would be something like that but i have literally got monster plants from certain strains (very disease resistant) and ppl have hated it. Then i have had tiny plants from the same strain that you think look like nothing and ppl have loved it, very confusing.

Cannabinoid and terpene testing should help clear this up. After all, you're not really interested in the origin of the specimen or the genetic combination that created the genotype. All you want to know is why people like certain finished products over others, right?

IMO this all comes down to the potency and aroma/flavor. Less experienced smokers still rely quite a bit on their eyes too. The best way to pheno hunt is just like you suggested... grow them all out in your environment, test them all for terps and potency, and compare the data to identify the best.

As others have suggested though, labs don't know everything to test for yet. So it is not a perfect comparison.

S

sativaking

Cannabinoid and terpene testing should help clear this up. After all, you're not really interested in the origin of the specimen or the genetic combination that created the genotype. All you want to know is why people like certain finished products over others, right?

IMO this all comes down to the potency and aroma/flavor. Less experienced smokers still rely quite a bit on their eyes too. The best way to pheno hunt is just like you suggested... grow them all out in your environment, test them all for terps and potency, and compare the data to identify the best.

As others have suggested though, labs don't know everything to test for yet. So it is not a perfect comparison.

Yah i guess never thought of it like that. If it does come down to just that I'm not really saved but at least i have my answer. Also i never really thought about terps being different in EACH Phenotype. Only when it comes down to different strains. But I'm guessing each pheno can and does have its own amount of terps......Therefore humans would find different levels of terps more tantalizing than others.

Also I always have this in the back of my mind but never really address it. Flowering a plant is kind of stressful on it for not being able to find a male to re produce with so would certain pheno's do better than others? I guess what I'm asking is, certain female phenos will be able to handle the stress better than others? Therefore creating a better plant? I dont know if i explained that right lol.

Last edited: