What's new

Reeferman on the forefront of Heirloom Cannabis resurrection?

SpaceBros.

https://reefermanseeds.net/shop/panama-red-haze-feminized/

The Panama Red was obtained from a Old timer in The USA who saved every seed he ever found , we received a huge collection of seeds from the 70-80’s in paper envelopes with different writing on them we had zero success in germination we tried nail files etc etc no luck the old guy had maintained a line himself but it was crossed to Skunk #1 we sold it as Panama Red skunk Years later. I passed the seeds onto a pair of PHD’s I was working with who were running a tissue culture program they managed to actually get several seedlings to develop in agar jell with nutrient packs and lots of love and know how Most were not viable however we had 2 hermaphrodites and I solid female that we actually managed to get to grow out of the agar we grew out the all 3 and used hermaphrodite pollen from the 2 onto the singe female 20% off the offspring were not hermaphrodites , although we did not find a solid male.

Well it appears Charles Scott and his colleagues have done what no other breeder out there has done (that I'm aware of anyway). Through the use of modern tissue culture techniques Charles and his colleagues were able to resurrect old in-viable seed stock from a Panama Red variety dating to the 70's or 80's.

Now I'm sure these tissue culture techniques have been well known about in the plant biology and research community for a long time but this seems to be the first time that this kind of work had resulted in viable seeds being available for purchase to the wider Cannabis community.

Obviously this kind of work has serious implications to individuals holding on to in-viable seed stock as well as the wider Cannabis community through boosting the somewhat limited Cannabis gene pool we have today.

Who out there has some old in-viable seeds they are holding? What strains do you have? And what are your thoughts on this news?

Discuss.

SB

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think 2 very reputable breeders here teamed up a couple years ago with high hopes to utlize tissue culture technique to repro clone-only strains and heirloom strains into seed form. Seeds that are exact repros of the parent material - awesome shit, sounds too good to be true and it was.
They ran into some kind of wall not sure exactly, pretty tech discussion.

Maybe reef will get it right - he's become quite the white labcoat kinda guy.

SpaceBros.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think 2 very reputable breeders here teamed up a couple years ago with high hopes to utlize tissue culture technique to repro clone-only strains and heirloom strains into seed form. Seeds that are exact repros of the parent material - awesome shit, sounds too good to be true and it was.
They ran into some kind of wall not sure exactly, pretty tech discussion.

Maybe reef will get it right - he's become quite the white labcoat kinda guy.

Well I think Chimera mentioned something about synthetic seeds in the link I posted above but I'm not sure exactly how they were made or how they work.

I'm pretty sure Reef isn't actually doing any of the tissue culture lab work himself. Just some PhD students at the lab where he works/worked.

SpaceBros.

I have inviable Road Kill Skunk seeds.

Maybe see it SamS wants any for his Cannabis DNA project here:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=296540

They should also be able to confirm the strain over at Phylos if Sam's not interested.

I guess you could also PM Reeferman and ask how much the lab might charge for their work. Maybe start a crowdfunding project over at the Roadkill Skunk fan club if they ever unlock that thread and take it from there ;)

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G`day SB

Reeferman on the forefront of Heirloom Cannabis resurrection?

That`s a mighty big call on some Panama red x SSHz bro ??

Charlie and the lab are no longer collaborating .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

SpaceBros.

G`day SB

That`s a mighty big call on some Panama red x SSHz bro ??

Charlie and the lab are no longer collaborating .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Hi EB,

I thought that might be the case with Reef and Medijean. I'm not so much referring to the strain itself but as to the way in which one of the parents, the Panama Red, was created - by tissue culture from in-viable seed stock from the 70's or 80's. Probably could of left Reeferman out of the title since he wasn't actually doing the lab work just utilizing it. But yeah promising times ahead for anyone with old seeds that won't germ.

Elmer Bud

Veteran
G`day SB

I`m not even sure he is talkin tissue culture .
I interpreted the spiel as his friends at the lab coaxed the Panama seed to germ ; In an agar solution . Not tissue culture clones .

As further into that link Charlie is talkin about 3 they got to germ 1 female , 2 herms . If it was tissue culture he could generate as many clones as his heart desired .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

CoCoSativas

Hi EB,

I thought that might be the case with Reef and Medijean. I'm not so much referring to the strain itself but as to the way in which one of the parents, the Panama Red, was created - by tissue culture from in-viable seed stock from the 70's or 80's. Probably could of left Reeferman out of the title since he wasn't actually doing the lab work just utilizing it. But yeah promising times ahead for anyone with old seeds that won't germ.

Medijean is medigone... kinda fucked up sorry too it heard it from the man himself.

I hadn't even heard about this subject yet. I'll have to ask charles next time we talk

SpaceBros.

G`day SB

I`m not even sure he is talkin tissue culture .
I interpreted the spiel as his friends at the lab coaxed the Panama seed to germ ; In an agar solution . Not tissue culture clones .

As further into that link Charlie is talkin about 3 they got to germ 1 female , 2 herms . If it was tissue culture he could generate as many clones as his heart desired .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

I think you could be right they may have just been using existing tissue culture techniques to germinate old seeds.

Here's a couple youtube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLRWrjy8UGg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IKTqjlBjmU

Might be worth a try for those with old in-viable seed stock.

Elmer Bud

Veteran
G`day SB

Tom and Chimera were gonna show us all , with a revolution in tissue culture a few years back .
Still waiting ...

From what I understand plants can be reproduced ; yes . But exact replicas at this stage ;no .

That`d be why no one is releasing the Elites in Petrie Dish clone form .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

ashna

I would think to recreate an old strain/cultivar, you would need more genetic diversity than a single pair of parents. That might give you a shot of interesting genes to cross into an existing line (as it sounds like he did), but you won't be able to resurrect the old strain in all its glory. See "Founder Effect".

LostTribe

Premium user
QUE PASO WEY!

THat is the shitz mang! gotta get some info on the process who knows how many people out there are holding heirlooms that are otherwise inviable!

LostTribe

Premium user

LostTribe

Premium user
wow they already have in vitro kits all over the internets....how hard is it to make the medium? The rest looks cake walk! Gonna try this on some really old cinderella seeds I made like 10 years ago that wont pop. Got some oaxacan and others too!

Latest posts

Latest posts