What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Who wants to try it out: Giving plants a bit of alcohol to reduce stretch

HUGE

Veteran
There are other little tricks and potions to help with this. There is a maximum yield article on it. They mention Tue temp thing. I have tried it and it works. Budblood also seemed to reduce spacing.

Jhhnn

Veteran
In that if your night temp is equal to or higher than your day temp you will inhibit stretch. If your night temp is 10°or more lower than your day temp normal stretch will occur. Keep nights warm for the first 2 weeks then lower them to normal. You Dont want to keep them even through the whole grow as that will probably reduce yeild.

I don't know quite what to say, but that is contrary to my very limited experience. Climate control in our space is rudimentary, to say the least. I have cooling issues, and the space gets rather cool at night this time of year. Light on temps are generally at least 20F higher than dark temps, which range into the low 60's.

These plants, 4 Royal Flush on the left & 2 Blueberry Headband on the right have been flowering for 5 weeks. I've not grown either previously, but they're both described by the breeders as tall & lanky. Other aspects of the grow are different, as well. Being relatively inexperienced & fearful of stretch in my 6' tall space, I flowered them at 5 weeks, 18-20", after vegging under a 400w MH. Under a 1000w dual arc bulb in 5 gal pots using TGA supersoil, they didn't stretch fer shit, the tallest only being 31".

picture.php

There are clearly a lot of factors other than day/night temp differential at work wrt stretch. I don't pretend to understand them very well at this point.

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
jhhnn can't say i know it all by any stretch either. -yeah that's bad- i have seen a marked decrease in stretch by using a 12-5-1-5 cycle before flowering. I also saw less stretch when using more blue light as well. I can't say there is a direct relationship with internodal spacing and temperatures as my findings don't support that, but temperatures play a role. Much of it comes down to the fact that flowering responses are controlled by a number of factors and each grower has to find the most suitable techniques and conditions for their grow.

jhhnn nice plants :)

julkop01

There are a lot of factors affecting stretch:
- Temperature difference during night and day.
- Light is another one and it's more complicated than just using MH. It had somwthing to do with red:far red ratios on exposed:shaded leafs as well. (My memory sucks with details but the point was less shaded leafs or added back light reduces stretch)
-Also when plants are touching their roommates, they start racing for the light.
-Then there's amount of phosphorous, the lower the amount, lesser the stretch.

I can veg my sativa dominant plants to 50" and after stretch they are around 60"-70" =)
Just lay them flat (I'm growing vert) so less leafs are shaded, don't let them touch each other and go easy on the nutes. I'm using 600w philips greenpower so I'm guessing the stretch would be even less using MH or CMH.