What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Terpfiend's Review Thread (Flowers/Concentrates/Toking Tools)

Terpfiend

Whats up guys? Figured I'd make my first post on here a productive one.
Anyways, as of yesterday, I decided to open a blog dedicated to thorough reviews of Northern California flowers, concentrates, and miscellaneous tools. For too long I've watched fellow patients bring home poisonous concentrates and moldy bud from collectives, so here's my attempt to educate the public, at least in my area, of healthy smoke. Here was the first review that I posted, featuring "TheDankMan707's" ChemJack 90u bubble hash (now commonly referred to as ice wax, solventless, etc.). I hope you enjoy it, and if you do, please support me by following the blog! Share with your friends if you have noticed the same growing problem that I have. My plan is that if I can get steady traffic for a few weeks to a month, I will finalize the website and officially purchase the Domain and hosting. I only want to do that if people actually want to read my articles though. Thank you guys for bearing with me, here's the review icon_smile.gif

http://www.norcalmmj.wordpress.com/

http://www.norcalmmj.wordpress.com/ <---- The link to my blog!

http://www.norcalmmj.wordpress.com/

image.jpeg

Introduction:

I am a man of my Indica-Dominant Hybrids, and this ChemJack is a wonderful example of what I look for in my medicine. Many high-end growers believe ChemJack is one of the nicest F1 indica-doiminant hybrids that you can find right now, as it hosts an elegant balance of traits from both the Jack Herer and ChemDawg that its crossed from. Both parents are considered powerhouses in the marijuana industry, being some of the most popular and potent in existence. The fuelly, redwoods’ aroma is brought by the ChemD while the Jack Herer contrasts with its pungent, lemony pine-sol flavor. ChemD is one of my personal favorite hybrids; I am in love with the gas/kush flavor so I am partial to genetics like this. ChemD seems to be very effective against anxiety and restlessness (ADD, etc). In comes the Jack, bringing along a very euphoric, uplifting sativa high that promotes activity and energy with it. I’ve always found myself feeling slightly more motivated after puffing on some Jack Herer. The origins on both of the parent strains seem to be shrouded in mystery as the breeders do not want their secrets to be revealed, speculations have been made though.

The Smoke:

ChemJack is an extremely potent strain, and that is proven upon exhalation. The Jack traits almost numb the mouth, while the woodsy ChemD genetics helps soothe it. The melt on this ice water hash was far above average, but i’m not sure if I could label it 100% FMCD (Full Melt Clear Domes) just because there was a little brown residue left on the nail. I’d say its about an 80-90% melt, which is still fantastic by my standards. Considering this hash was extracted from dried material, 80-90% is impressive. The hits are very expansive, meaning you don’t need to take as large of dabs.

Terpene Profile:

For an ice water extract, this concentrate boasts lots of flavor. Not too much of a “hashy” flavor commonly found in bubble hashes. The tell-tale sign to a proper extraction is the retention of terpenes, which the extractor, @TheDankMan707 (on instagram), has successfully done. It is very obvious when a person grows their own material that they extract from, it allows them to truly understand the plants chemistry.

Both parents host similar terpenes, which is interesting because they are pretty different flavors. Both contain a higher percentage of the terpenes Linalool and Mycrene. Linalool is what gives it a sour, floral aroma and the Mycrene brings a sort of fruity flavor to the mix. Fun fact, Mycrene is known to increase the absorption rate of THC into the Blood Brain Barrier, meaning you get medicated quicker. Mycrene is commonly found in Mangos, so next time you’re preparing for a big session, snack on a mango. Breaking the bud open and deeply inhaling the broken trichomes (that released the terpenes into the air) also does the trick on a smaller scale.

Aesthetics:

Beautiful, greasy hash that glimmers in the light. As you can see from the pictures, the trichome heads are molded together stunningly. Without ever touching heat (no pocket cure, etc.) the hash is very pliable, slimy and unctuous. A pocket cure isn’t even necessary with this bubble hash, which in itself says a lot. The heads melt together seamlessly upon pressing it out with a hot wand and parchment, leaving it appearing glossy. Depending on how much heat and pressure used, the pressed extract would shatter if picked at with the dab tool.

Conclusion:

I’ve got to give credit where its due, this medicine was properly dealt with from start to finish. TheDankMan707 raised this plant with care, and extracted it with patience and more care; this prestige shows in the product. If you are in Solano County I highly recommend you take a trip up to Vallejo and visit a collective that he supplies.

Overall: 8/10

Go check out my other review on some Trainwreck Closed Loop N-Tane Shatter on my blog and tell your friends!

Peace yall,

Terpfiend

Terpfiend

Another review added! Check out the blog for other reviews not featured here. This one is on...

Green Ribbon (Flower)

Genetics:
The genetics on Green Ribbon are very hazey. Said to have originated out of San Jose, California, Green Ribbon is (according to popular belief) a 50/50 hybrid cross of Green Crack mated with Afghani, Trainwreck and/or Afgoo. It seems as if no one truly knows which of the three latter parents is crossed with the Green Crack. The predominant parent, Green Crack (also known as Cush), is known for its sweet, tangy powerful sativa high that people often say has their heads in the clouds. Opposite of the Green Crack, the Afghani strain is known to be one of the most potent Indica cannabis plants known to man. It hosts a pungent earthy flavor that contrasts the stronger sweetness from the Green Crack. Trainwreck is another sativa-dominant strain that packs a punch! It usually smells of pine forests and carries a very medicinal effect along with it. Finally, the last possible spouse of Green Crack is Afgoo – a solid Indica plant that won’t necessarily have you stuck on couch-lock, but it will definitely knock you on your ass! Whatever Green Ribbons parents are, it is a serious sativa dominant (even though it is labeled as 50/50, I feel as if the sativa presence is stronger) that will remind you of a classic “old-school” high and smoke.

Aesthetics:
Green Ribbon doesn’t boast an array of pretty colors, but for what it lacks in saturation is compensated by the ridiculous amount of trichomes stuck to this bud! I’m with you guys in that I love gawking at purple and pink and blue cannabis, but when it comes down to it – snowy white will always be my preference. This is the type of bud that makes you feel guilty for tearing it up and setting it aflame. I caught myself breaking it down extra carefully so that I didn’t knock any of the thousands of trichomes off! This Green Ribbon is super dense. The flowers don’t look as dense as they are though; in fact they almost look as if they wouldn’t be hard at all. A little bit definitely goes a long way with this strain! My tolerance is through the roof and a little bit of this set me in the type of medicated state that I look for.

Terpene Profile:
Along with the majority of cannabis, Green Ribbon primarily hosts the terpene Linalool. The flavor that Linalool carries with it is found in plants such as roses, lavender, and even oranges. Among other medicinal effects, Linalool has been found to have anti-cancer properties – in a study researchers discovered that it “may improve the therapeutic index of anthracyclines in the management of breast cancer, especially in MDR tumors,” (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18695915) meaning it assists drugs in attacking cells that had grown immune to those cancer-fighting drugs. Linalool is probably what gives the Green Ribbon its sweet, sativa-like flavor; while the terpene Caryophyllene counteracts that sugariness with its pungent, woodsy tones. Chemicals in Caryophyllene are a large contributor to the distinct spiciness of black pepper.
The nose on this Green Ribbon represents the 50/50 hybrid flavor perfect. It has a particularly intense sweetness but also an extremely distinct exotic spiciness from the Caryophyllene. It has undertones of coffee grinds and earthiness that are over powered with the Green Crack’s tanginess.

The Smoke:
The flavor on this Green Ribbon isn’t really what I expected. Out of a cleaned bubbler I noticed that the flower had a tangy, tropical flavor immediately after exhaling. This flavor however quickly turned into a harsh, almost hash-like flavor that I didn’t enjoy. I presume that this unappetizing harshness is due to a rushed flush, because I also noticed that the ashes left over from this Green Ribbon were not as white as you would expect from a proper flush. You can see an example of the ash in the images section. Other than that one downside the grower pretty much aced this strain – the smoke is very smooth and the initial taste is superb. With a longer flush this flower would have been near perfect. This is very “old-school” tasting weed, it will bring you back to your high-school days. I recommend smoking this herb out of a joint rather than bowl; at least I was able to get a better flavor and smoother smoke that way. Not saying a bong rip isn’t going to get you just as loaded (if not more) than a doobie, I just feel like it’s more enjoyable.

The Effect (Medicinal Benefit):
First of all, as of this review I am going to work towards creating more constant variables between reviews. The first one being in that every strain I talk about, in order to equally compare effects, I will solely base my experience off one half-gram joint, and two bowls out of a freshly cleaned glass bong or bubbler (bowls about a point each). Hopefully this way I can eliminate the possibility of over-medicating with one strain compared to another. Anyways, Green Ribbon is a sativa-heavy (in my opinion, popular belief says its 50/50) hybrid flower that is great for situations requiring exercise like hiking or camping (anything nature related would be ideal!). If you don’t have the luxury of being able to go on a nice hike then this strain can double as a wonderful body-numbing, almost sedating high if you allow it to be. That’s what I love about hybrid strains, especially close ones like 50/50 or 60/40 like this; you get the best of both worlds completely depending on what you require at that given moment. This medicine is wonderful for stress relief, controlling ADD and ADHD and uplifting your mood without making you feel “wired.” I definitely recommend this to any hybrid or sativa lover (if you are a pure indica person, I can promise you will still enjoy this, it just might not be the best choice for you in the end).

Conclusion:
While this may not be the most powerful flower you will ever smoke, it is definitely one worth considering. The high associated with Green Ribbon is very unique to it and it sets it apart from all other hybrids. I don’t think I’ve ever tried any other strain that resembles the effect that this Green Ribbon has had on me. I couldn’t quite describe to you what I mean by that, other than that it is a very distinctive mixture of a motivational sativa and pain relieving indica. This particular cut of Green Ribbon can be found on the top shelf over at HTP Group located in Vallejo, California. Hurry, I doubt it’ll last long.

Overall: 7/10

Terpfiend

Posted another review! This one is on the famed Larry OG

Genetics:

Originating out of Orange County, California, Larry OG is a unique Indica strain that features traits not often found in OG’s. Its parents are the renowned Larry’s cut of OG Kush crossed with a F3 (3rd generation) SFV OG Kush. Both parents origins are pretty easy to identify – OG Kush is a cut of what is believe to be ’91 Chemdawg that was rumored to have been grown in the Tahoe area, while the SFV OG Kush originated in, you guessed it – San Fernando Valley, California. OG Kush is a Sativa-dominant hybrid that actually isn’t a Kush at all! Okay, well, it has some Kush in its genetics, but it’s actually rumored to simply be a cut of one the ’91 Chemdawg. OG Kush is more effective for stress and anxiety related ailments, however it also features Indica body-numbing traits. The SFV OG Kush is an s1 (seed from a hermaphroditic plant) of ORkid’s Ghost OG Kush. SFV OG Kush brings a lemon-pledge scent and a relaxing, “couch-lock” effect.

The man behind the Larry OG that I am puffing on right now goes by @Lumpstatus (on Instagram). A veteran grower, he has blessed the scene with his interpretations of popular flowers like GDP, Super Silver Haze, and of course the Larry. This flower was grown in Cana Coco using Canna Cogr nutrients and beneficial mycorhizzae. There were absolutely no pesticides used on this plant and it was flushed with pure water for 12 days. Lumpy flowered this original Larry OG clone for a full 70 days, pulling it at its peak of perfection.

Aesthetics:

Larry OG consists of generally small, dense nugs with “foxtail” looking extensions from the base of the bud (easier to understand if you look at the pictures). While this strain isn’t as caked in trichomes as some of the other flowers I’ve reviewed, it still glistens in the sunlight. The forest crystals lie on top of a light green flower with many long and dark orange hairs throughout. This bud is pretty sticky with resin; it takes a decent amount of time to break it up by hand! I also noticed my hands were super resinous afterwards as well. I prefer Larry OG’s type of bud structure over most other flowers because it is dense yet light enough to be able to easily tear it apart. The fact that the stem weight is probably reduced due to the small bud size is also a plus.

Terpene Profile:

One of the more dominant terpenes in Larry OG is Limonene, which is found in almost all citrus plants. Limonene is a “super-terpene” of sorts in that it has many features such as: destroying breast-cancer cells and pathogenic bacteria, dissolves gallstones and even helps to relieve heartburn. This terpene is found in most OG varieties, and is the cause to the lemony, citrus taste and aroma. Aside from Linalool (which if you’ve followed along with my reviews I’m sure you’re tired of hearing about), the other most prominent terpene is actually the most common in the world: alpha-Pinene. This terpene has two interestingly unique effects, the first being that it actually acts as a bronchodilator, potentially giving aid to those who suffer from asthma. Yes, you heard right, I just proved (with science)*that smoking marijuana can actually sometimes be beneficial to the lungs. The other interesting value that alpha-Pinene holds is that it inhibits a metabolic breakdown of a neurotransmitter called acetylcholinesterase, therefore stimulating alertness and memory retention.

Turn down your speakers, because this Larry OG is loud. The nose on this strain is very appealing to the senses. Immediately your nostrils are flooded with the classic sweet, lemony redwood forest aroma that is accompanied by most OG’s. Opening the bag of this Larry immediately smells up the whole room, and intensifies even further upon breaking open the nugs. Random fact, when you break into your flower you are rupturing the trichome heads, therefor sending some of the terpenes into the air and eventually your nose, hence the smell that you are picking up. What you don’t normally consider, however, is that by breaking these heads open and releasing the terpenes you can actually gain some medicinal benefit – if you deeply inhale after tearing your bud open it has been found to can slightly increase the longevity and potency of the high (Note: this is very minor – most people won’t notice much).

The Smoke:

This Larry is a legend of OGs; literally everything I look for in a decedent of OG Kush. The smoke is super smooth with a sugary, camp-fire flavor. If you were to close your eyes and smoke this you’d have trouble not believing that you were sitting in a pine forest, a mile or so off the coast of the beach. There is even a slight oceanic saltiness to the aftertaste that this Larry OG gives. There are undertones of a Diesel-like fuel taste, but it is not very prevalent. I believe I can judge the smoothness of a strain by how it feels upon exhaling out of my nose, in that lower quality flowers will normally burn it, while strains like Larry OG gently pass through with no stinging. Although this flower was flushed more appropriately than my previously reviewed strains, there still could be a small bit of room for improvement. My joint had gone out on me twice, while that could have just been my roll, I have suspicions that it had something to do with the curing or flushing process. The ashes weren’t all black but they weren’t all white either, sort of in between at a grey hue. It’s not easy to achieve 100% white ashes, so by that standard this flower does pretty well. I noticed that the flavor on this Larry lasted all the way up until the roach – no gross “resin” flavor or anything, all OG goodness!

The Effect (Medicinal Value):

All strains are tested for medicinal effect by smoking a half-gram joint.

This isn’t your typical OG in effect; I haven’t noticed a lot of the traditional “couch-lock” and body numbing feelings that are generally accompanied by Indica dominant strains. I found this flower to be more suitable for stress management and other issues regarding the relaxation of the mind. Don’t confuse what I’m saying for a sativa high though, this is not an uppity strain; it relaxes the mind and body. This medication can be used at any time of the day – I would not deem it to solely be a “night cap” or “wake-n-bake” smoke. I medicated on a joint of this last night about an hour before going to bed and slept through the whole night (something that doesn’t happen incredibly often). *15 or so minutes after putting the joint out the racing thoughts that previously flooded my head seemed to vanish in smoke. I did the same thing this morning, except my mind obviously wasn’t racing (rather probably running at half speed). I finished my .5 joint and the high took effect in about 10-15 minutes, slowly creeping to its peak which was about a half hour to hour. It’s important to note that if you aren’t an every day smoker you will want to take this medication slowly. It’s not the most powerful OG in the world, it’s not going to knock you on your ass, but it will probably give you a good smack in the face. Larry OG is a hard strain for me to recommend for one particular ailment, because the truth is that it covers almost all of the bases. Larry, for me at least, was very effective towards calming my mind and assisted me in gaining an appetite (my stomach was prohibiting this before). I could also see this being great for PTSD, anxiety issues, and pain management for problems like arthritis. This is an amazing strain for a newer smoker to experience “top shelf” without getting uncomfortably high and for older smokers to appreciate the impeccable flavor and irreplaceable high that it offers.

Conclusion:

As Lumpy said, “I would put this up against any other OG out there.” There is no denying that this cross between OG Kush and SFV OG Kush is an interesting Indica plant that shares many sativa effects. It is wonderful for both relieving bodily pains and mental strains. I personally found it to be really effective for my stress and appetite issues, the only time you’re probably going to want to leave your couch is to go grab some more munchies. I would hope Lumpy keeps this Larry with him forever, because it is definitely one of the nicest OG’s I’ve toked on.

Overall: 8.5/10

Latest posts

Latest posts