What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Miracle Grow soil...too hot?

Say i got a question for you guys, is the Miracle grow soil too hot? i mean too strong? should i tone it down a bit with some non-feeding soil?
i plan on adding some bone meal and blood meal with some perlite to help hold the water. i have three gallon pots for flowering. any thoughts?
thanks and be cool

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
if you have anty choice in the matter i wouldnt use miracle grow soil to start seeds. it will prolly be alright for clones and shit. but trust me from seed you will have nothing but problems. if you dont mind dealing with a bunch of problems go ahead.

but some things you will face are.

Cal/Mag deficiencies.
PH problems.
Ammonia Toxicity.
Root issues.

Sounds like this stuff is crap! how about the wal-mart feeding type? its not too costly and easy to get.
i already have the seed starting type and peat pellets for my young ones.
what kind do you recondmend for veg and flower? thanks everyone. be cool

just get the cheapest shit you can, and from what ive learned over a few grows is the following

add tons of perlite...the more the better. i liek to have atleast 30%...sounds liek alot, but it really does help

add some peat...helps the plants grow nice

Lofty

some of the best soil i ever used for starting seeds was dug up from under a tree outside, decades of rotting leaves just as nature intended.

Cannapits

stihgnobevoli said:
if you have anty choice in the matter i wouldnt use miracle grow soil to start seeds. it will prolly be alright for clones and shit. but trust me from seed you will have nothing but problems. if you dont mind dealing with a bunch of problems go ahead.

but some things you will face are.

Cal/Mag deficiencies.
PH problems.
Ammonia Toxicity.
Root issues.

I always use MG and have never faced those issues as a result...I even have seeds in straight mg that I water with 8.7 well water with no ill effects...so I disagree........drainage is the key....peace...

G

yeah ok. the #1 growing medium on the planet must be shit. gimmee a break. a good grower can grow with any medium.
if you don't like miracle grow, don't use it. it's that simple.
just don't insult people that do like it. it's that simple.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Are you using it to start the seeds? If not MG soil has always treated me weel. A lot of people make the mistake of ferting to quickly with the pre ferted soil. Start you seeds in seed starter soil and veg for a couple weeks and then into the MG potting soil. Just dont fert for 3 weeks.....

MG will do your plants fine just make sure you are starting your seedlings in seedling starter soil, not MG potting soil I stupidly made that mistake this grow and it stunted my plants for a couple weeks untill they grew into their medium.

MG for the win!

thc43

Veteran
let any soil dry out with clones or seedlings and your in for a rough ride..

If you feel it is too strong cut it down with perlite or coco. then once rooted well plant back into your 100% mirical grow.. Personally considering MG is sold in supermarkets and more of an all purpose soil and fert its probally more suited to growing veg and herbs. If recomended for tomatos growing it will be way too strong toms handle alot more food from a young age and quickly adjust to what there being fed. weed takes alittle longer and if too strong will stunt, burn, go mutant and generally not look healthy.

so what are the symptoms??

yellow spotted leaves = awatering or PH issue

dry yellow or burnt leaves= probaly nute related at some coco to mix and repot into slightly larger pots..

Last edited:

Growda

Officially 2 weeks too late, 6 of 7 died and the only one left is a mutant mofo, it's a miracle they're still in business

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
WhyMe said:
yeah ok. the #1 growing medium on the planet must be shit. gimmee a break. a good grower can grow with any medium.
if you don't like miracle grow, don't use it. it's that simple.
just don't insult people that do like it. it's that simple.

Where am i insulting anyone? ive been using MG potting soil with time release for like 6 years now, i know what im talking about its way too hot for seedlings. Like someone else corroborated already it stunts growth along with all the other things ive already stated.
Who said it was shit anyway? i said its not good for starting seeds.

Thanks everyone for the response, i have some MG potting mix that i was going to use, i'm starting in peat pellets and also have seedstarter soil, bone meal, blood meal and will be using Fox Farm grow big and big bloom.
i'll try the Miracle Grow and see how it works, i'll use the perlite and make sure i run some water thru it well. i'll be using R.O. water so hopefully all will work great and i'll have HUGE BUDS!
i'f anyone has anything else to add about the Miracle Grow Potting mix please let me know. thanks and be cool

also, is potting soil and potting mix the same?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts