What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Short term trades in the stock market •$$$$$•

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
any good places you recommend for a newbie to read up on all this? I'm new to this but am like a sponge so far.

As a newbie..you might learn One sector of the market.
Say too-too Trains..maybe the freight sector.Rather than try to absorb all sectors of the market.. If you have the time.Go for it.

I have this link that gauges Trains traffic and most of the times it correlates To the market.I did get in KSU,WAB,GBX 2 days ago.

http://railfax.transmatch.com/

For the gold..I use the http://www.kitco.com/charts/livegold.html

Still waiting for that MMG to hit $1.00..( I'll sell when it hits say $1.10) Seems when Gold pulls back..this jumps.So If I make any paper cash.This will be a first successful trade,time frame.3 months.

I did get in Order at $1.07 and will dump it in the morning.Watching for those Up-gaps in the morning.

No hedges yet.

M

Mountain

Hey Mountain, I took that CRZO on monday at 34.55.

Nice pick, its been moving favorably. Thanks.
Hell yeah bro. Was a good one. Seemed to dip and be weak early in the day then take off and finish strong. It's coming out of an ascending triangle so volume on the break out not as important. As I said earlier it has about a 4 point potential move from 35 in store...at least that's what the target would be for me. Looked great before it started to move. PWAV was basically the last stock on my list to watch...a great consolidation pattern with nothing but buying in its base and should be a nice play if you get a good entry. Pretty sure KOG will rock and some of my recent favorites like AA and ONNN will prove themselves yet IMO but mega sized so expect a slower move and maybe look at a longer time frame. I got into trading too much and needed to step back. PWAV was another stock like KOG whose options were trading at no premium so you got virtually 100% of any move regardless of time (decay) and volatility (cause there was none).

Read Iran was going to run some warships through the Suez canal. With spreading unrest in the Mid East oil plays should be interesting. I think oil has bottomed about right here for now.

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
SEB made a knew high today :tiphat: $2310 !! first mentioned back in june 18th 2010 at $1610

$700 Smack-a-Roos !! Got to remember any time you sell,,,Capital gains tax is 15-25%.. every $100 The man keeps $15-$25.

I didn't sell CENX yet..It popped today..Now finally ahead :dance013:

YUM had a tiny Scare or press saying it didn't have enough beef in its taco like it's 70% by-products form of beef..It's not true.So I watched this stock like a hawk and didn't even flinch during the bad news or lawsuit.

YUM will take over McDonald !!! :bump: Up it goes...It never had a bad earnings report in over 20 quarters ..Last record I have is 2006

GLD popped out of it's triangle and the indicator was right as I thought so..rather then 3 other saying it would go down.I knew that indicator was more important.

M

Mountain

I knew that indicator was more important.
Do you trade on 'paper' with fake money or do you use 'real' money?

What triangle in GLD? That formation failed early January when it broke through/below it's 50 MA. Only thing I saw with GLD was high volume selling at the highs. I was watching that one and the rebound from the recent dip was un-impressive. SLW was the same way...lots of selling and some difficulty reclaiming it's 50 MA in a respectable fashion.

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
Do you trade on 'paper' with fake money or do you use 'real' money in an account which is fake also?

It's both!! lol

GLD has what I call a pattern on Sharpcharts.com and it broke formation and up it goes a little.One does not always go for the 50MA-200MA always.I use an indicator and people are buying again.Either you're in....or Out.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
I've got my eye on ALK. I'm expecting a little pull-back and a few day sideways consolidation before a continuation with its bull-run.

alaska airlines, they also own horizon airlines which utilizes the bombardier q400. They operate 40 with 8 more on order. This plane's 60 minute range and flight time is equal with the regional jets of the same or smaller size and quicker for shorter distances. It also uses less fuel than the jets. They do operate a few bombardier jets of the same size as the q400 but they plan to get rid of them over time and operate exclusively the q400s. Horizons average flight length is ~350miles or 50 minutes. Horizon offers starbucks coffee, beer, wine and Jones soda's for free. Alaska airlines is installing free wireless internet on all their planes but not on the horizon planes, as of yet.

A kick ass company with a kick ass plane platform. I've been amazed by the q400 since its introduction many years ago but just now found ALK.

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
Mountain......The reverse triangle in GLD meaning the crossover of the 25-100 MA.You have to type in your OWN preferences in the MA ( Moving Averages)..I don't use the default settings.Make your own..figure out what works.StockCharts has almost all indicators.

Nothing about the 50 day MA or anything about January's selloff.This is where we are not on the same page.But with me...I don't use the 50MA in this type of market,recovery,uncertainty.

I was in FCX in 2009 and sold in 2009..FCX moved alot early then Gold did before everyone jumped on in GLD,SLV stocks,etfs.

The thing is to keep at it..Try not to skip a day learning about the economy.This stock I knew about in High School and now it's own homepage showing how much invested and how long its worth.

$10,000 became $500,000 in 20 years.If one was aggressive buying high and selling low..could have done it in 10 years.

You're your own Banker. (One percent) 1% in Savings seems to be worth the extra Risk in stocks IMO.Stocks info are right next to my email..I like that. :dance013:

M

Mountain

Either you're in....or Out.
Out and would recommend that to others at this point but would not play as a short either right here.

One does not always go for the 50MA-200MA always. I use an indicator and people are buying again.
I don't use MA's as a definitive. SOME people are buying again and after all that selling and an oversold condition not surprising. Personally I do not like to see short term MA's cross below up trending long term ones. GLD has now hit what was a $ support level and now looks like strong resistance at this point. Not a good long entry here IMO.

The thing is to keep at it. Try not to skip a day learning about the economy. This stock I knew about in High School and now it's own homepage showing how much invested and how long its worth.

$10,000 became $500,000 in 20 years. If one was aggressive buying high and selling low..could have done it in 10 years
Hindsight is 20/20. Learning about anything is not a day lost. Skip a day? So you're always 100% invested or always have a position in the market?

Wall St. destroyed Main St.

I quit putting any money into that bullshit a long time ago. Will laugh my ass off when those who actually still invest in that shit lose everything...

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
Out and would recommend that to others at this point but would not play as a short either right here.

I don't use MA's as a definitive. SOME people are buying again and after all that selling and an oversold condition not surprising. Personally I do not like to see short term MA's cross below up trending long term ones. GLD has now hit what was a $ support level and now looks like strong resistance at this point. Not a good long entry here IMO.
?

Pretty clear as bell triple-top on the GLD previously ...then the more recent bounce right off that touch to the 30rsi @$128 .

why i like RSI indicator, especially note the double tops & bottoms ...not a good looking long here with 50Ma acting as R , CCI also high & spinning tops indicate weakness & indecision .

gld.png

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
GLD $135.50 !!! ($134.10 now)

I wanted $136 but I'm permissive with GLD right now.With the 25MA-100MA crossing over..We may have found a bottom already.It looks like a pullback from July's-August 2010

OnWard and Upward.:dance013:

Maybe it will take some time to move away from the default settings of StockCharts.

I'll go for $138 for a longer Bull run From it's Pullback.

M

Mountain

I'll go for $138 for a longer Bull run From it's Pullback.
I think a run to 136 is generous at this point. If it hit there in the next few days I'd look at it as a short. The serious undercutting of 132 then 130 on high volume is disconcerting considering it's hitting a down trending 50 MA right now. GLD is technically in a downtrend IMO.

Will laugh my ass off when those who actually still invest in that shit lose everything...
Heck you even see some states saying they want to mint money based on gold and silver as the reserve. I think the US dollar is dead but will take awhile for the international banking system to deal with it. The lack of confidence in the dollar is already showing up in commodity prices. Long term if you hold dollar denominated assets I think you're screwed. The Fed is already talking about a third round of Quantitative Easing.

M

Mountain

Pretty clear as bell triple-top on the GLD previously
Just wanted to come back and say Madrus is right on this and the first thing that catches your eye then the resistance at 136 then the bottom trend line running mostly up with the 50 MA.

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
Ok...... lol

Good to toke on white widow and be right or ya have to slow the smoke down.Don't wanna slow the smoke down.

Why is the 50 day MA a choice that one is making?That's a long term choice on a stock.And then the 200MA.That's like sitting out and saving money while the market makes it's move like the first drop back at DOW 6600 and then telling oneself to sit out and wait.This seems a really classic move and a majority's choice.Got to go with your own instincts. (When people say "Get out"...it might mean,,get in..lol )

I'm a 25MA-100MA guy ;-)

GLD $135.15 High today.I saw some selling into the strength but an up day.Hope the 25MA stay above the $132 level.

Come over to the 25MA side !!!

For a newbie...Google has a good info,stock-trading on it's page.I look there everyday.

http://www.google.com/finance?tab=we

Latest posts

Latest posts