What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

anyone ever feel nihilistic? (interesting ramble)

Some times it scares me how small we are in this giant universe. We are but a small spec on a tiny blue marble in one small galaxy out of hundreds of billions. Sometimes it feels like nothing we do will ever matter.

I read a short story called "The Star" by Clarke. https://sites.uni.edu/morgans/astro/course/TheStar.pdf

It details the events of a civilization that has become extinct. They however knew of their demise and stored what they felt most important to them in a vault for other civilizations to see. A futuristic human space ship comes across it and learns about this now lost civilization.

It makes me think, what would we have to store in a vault for others to see? - would it even matter if they found it?

To get even more far fetched, I believe we live in a multiverse. Each universe begins and dies in a vast (perhaps infinite) web of universes. Each universe would have different forces, laws of nature, and maybe even different dimensions. It makes me feel like humanity matters even less - We may never reach other universes and dimensions to let the creators of those places know we exist. They will never know our story, our suffering, our accomplishments, etc.

I have read that in the future, when mankind (hopefully) gets to the point of interstellar travel, they would not be the same humans as we are today - they would have more of our strengths and less of our faults (NGT - Cosmos.)

So perhaps launching humanity into the future will help us find meaningful purpose?
We tend to look back on our ancestors to know how we got to where we are today. One day, the future of humanity will look upon us. They will remember all of our wars, mistakes, and faults. They will look back on us and call us ancient, and our most advanced math and science today will be but a tiny fraction of what they know. They will look at us like we look at cavemen and neanderthals. They will look at our what-would-be now primitive use of computing and just like we look at the ENIAC, they will see us as a primitive species just trying to find our way.

I feel learning about computing is the only thing that will make me feel like I am actually helping humanity and working on something greater then myself. Computing will help power the space ships of the future extending the reach humankind deep into the vast darkness of the cosmos. Perhaps then we will shine our own light? Something to marvel at and something that will actually give humanity a purpose in this confusing universe.

It is people like Elon Musk who really make me feel like humanity is important and matters in the cosmos. He has the hopes and dreams of making our species a multi-planet dwelling one. Who will come next, after Musk? Where will they bring us?

It is easy to feel lost in this world. Yet, our world is just one of an unfathomable amount of planets that could harbor life - in a universe that we know very little about. It would be nice if mankind could work together to solve bigger problems and get out of our daily worldly lives.

I really want to know what others think about this, there is a lot to grasp but I would really love to know other peoples thoughts on this - and don't worry if you ramble on I would still love to read it!

A side note:
One thing I feel is truly amazing is that we were not given anything in this world - we didn't just have computers handed to us with a "there you go have fun" post-it note attached - we created these things from metals we mined from the ground - and with the greatest minds this world has ever seen working together.
It is crazy to think that this world created thinking beings with the ability to create so much.

igrowone

Veteran
i have to sub on this, though the path be dark
what's the prize for the 'answer'? though that is a rhetorical question

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i have to sub on this, though the path be dark
what's the prize for the 'answer'? though that is a rhetorical question

i'm not convinced that there IS an "answer". all that matters is what we discover & learn as we search. kind of like bowhunting for unicorns. utterly futile but great fun...:tiphat:

Max Headroom

Veteran
if we have a positive impact on the lives of people around us, that's really all that matters. good things will grow from there.

but i'm not sure i support the expansion of humans onto other planets. we act like a virus (agent smith was right). unless we get a grip on our greed, our psychopathy problem and our complete disregard for/lack of understanding of nature, we should be quarantined here on earth.

if we have a positive impact on the lives of people around us, that's really all that matters. good things will grow from there.

but i'm not sure i support the expansion of humans onto other planets. we act like a virus (agent smith was right). unless we get a grip on our greed, our psychopathy problem and our complete disregard for/lack of understanding of nature, we should be quarantined here on earth.
lol I love your thumbnail.

I feel good when I help others - I rescued a chihuahua recently and he really shows me so much love it's crazy! I think that love and connection is really meaningful - it has shown me to love and how much helping others can make an impact.

love the input!

Mick

Veteran
It blows my mind to look up at the night sky and contemplative that it may well be infinite. Here we are, tiny moving beings on a little rock circling a sun that is only one of the many billions in the universe. I see the universe as a place of beauty and wonder and myself as something like a tiny cell in its body.

Mick

Veteran
Some times it scares me how small we are in this giant universe. We are but a small spec on a tiny blue marble in one small galaxy out of hundreds of billions. Sometimes it feels like nothing we do will ever matter.

I know that feeling, but there's the other side too, that we all come from stardust and huge cosmic explosions, and that connects us to everything. We are all the essence of all that is.
And there's the inner worlds, our spiritual dimensions that are just as real. A good riding mate of mine died recently, and not long after I found out, I was walking through the kitchen and experienced an unexpected, powerful burst of bliss that nearly floored me, that lasted for a few seconds, and I just knew it was my mate saying goodbye. A few of his other friends had similar strange experiences.
The mysteries of life seems to know no bounds. The states of jhana that the Buddhist Monk Arjahn Brahm describes in his book Mindfulness, Bliss and Beyond are just beyond mind blowing. According to him, some of these Monks can enter this indescribable state of bliss just as they die and stay there for eons. What, or how long an eon is is beyond me, but it's a long friggen time.
If you're into this stuff, there's an excellent doc series called Inner Worlds, Outer Worlds, that pretty awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct465RPaVII

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
To me, it's what you do and how you treat those around you.

Including your environment, the plants and birds and animals
and shit like that.

To serve others with respect and expect nothing in return,
the true path to strength lies in humility.

It's an everyday thing, one must strive to overcome stasis,
the feeling of contentment.

Doesn't equate with unhappiness, being fulfilled is a daily quest,
so seek challenges that promote personal growth through service,
and avoid selfishness and neediness.

If you wake up charged with the energy of the possibilities
of helping others, then you are on a good path.

Makes you strong, able to meet unexpected challenges.

WelderDan

Veteran
Well, sometimes I'm of the mind to just let the motherfucker burn to the ground. Then I get high and I'm like, "eh."

It blows my mind to look up at the night sky and contemplative that it may well be infinite. Here we are, tiny moving beings on a little rock circling a sun that is only one of the many billions in the universe. I see the universe as a place of beauty and wonder and myself as something like a tiny cell in its body.
that's beautiful man - I feel the same way it is truly amazing I feel lucky to be alive everyday!

the amount of other planets in this universe is unfathomable - even if a tiny fraction harbor life that still is an incredible amount.

I know that feeling, but there's the other side too, that we all come from stardust and huge cosmic explosions, and that connects us to everything. We are all the essence of all that is.
And there's the inner worlds, our spiritual dimensions that are just as real. A good riding mate of mine died recently, and not long after I found out, I was walking through the kitchen and experienced an unexpected, powerful burst of bliss that nearly floored me, that lasted for a few seconds, and I just knew it was my mate saying goodbye. A few of his other friends had similar strange experiences.
The mysteries of life seems to know no bounds. The states of jhana that the Buddhist Monk Arjahn Brahm describes in his book Mindfulness, Bliss and Beyond are just beyond mind blowing. According to him, some of these Monks can enter this indescribable state of bliss just as they die and stay there for eons. What, or how long an eon is is beyond me, but it's a long friggen time.
If you're into this stuff, there's an excellent doc series called Inner Worlds, Outer Worlds, that pretty awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct465RPaVII

that is very true we are build from this universe and have a capability to understand it. That is beautiful to me, being able to understand the mysteries of the universe is marvelous. I wish I could be here to watch humanity unfold and to see what amazing thing we will accomplish thousands or perhaps hundred or thousands of years from now.

thanks for that recommendation I will have to watch tonight.

To me, it's what you do and how you treat those around you.

Including your environment, the plants and birds and animals
and shit like that.

To serve others with respect and expect nothing in return,
the true path to strength lies in humility.

It's an everyday thing, one must strive to overcome stasis,
the feeling of contentment.

Doesn't equate with unhappiness, being fulfilled is a daily quest,
so seek challenges that promote personal growth through service,
and avoid selfishness and neediness.

If you wake up charged with the energy of the possibilities
of helping others, then you are on a good path.

Makes you strong, able to meet unexpected challenges.

that is a great way to live - follows a standard of the golden rule.

I feel challenges help us grow into better people. Funny that albeit we are being on such a small planet in such a large universe, we are capable of so much. We have existential choices in life that shape us into who we are. Objective truth is something I believe in and I feel it is a powerful thing that we mere humans have freewill in those existential choices that wedge you between objective moral right with wrong, good vs bad.