You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Grow Diaries > Seeds, Soil and 16 Square Feet

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
Seeds, Soil and 16 Square Feet Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-29-2014, 05:08 PM #1
Siskiyou

Siskiyou is a glorious beacon of lightSiskiyou is a glorious beacon of lightSiskiyou is a glorious beacon of lightSiskiyou is a glorious beacon of lightSiskiyou is a glorious beacon of lightSiskiyou is a glorious beacon of lightSiskiyou is a glorious beacon of lightSiskiyou is a glorious beacon of lightSiskiyou is a glorious beacon of lightSiskiyou is a glorious beacon of lightSiskiyou is a glorious beacon of light
Seeds, Soil and 16 Square Feet

"And so each venture is a new beginning, a raid on the inarticulate." T.S.Eliot

I flower my plants in a 4x4 tent, with a 1K HPS. The room is not sealed, and i rely completely on air exchange for my CO2 (no supplemental CO2). If you are looking for a large grow you will be disappointed here, since I grow only for my self.

I grow from seed or my own clones only.

My soil is recycled. It is about two years old right now, and just getting better as far as I can tell. My inputs are ALMOST all organic, with a few exceptions I will eventually discuss.

I am currently exploring Bodhi Seeds gear and have a keeper of Lucky Charms, and am sorting through four females each of Dream Beaver and Sunshine Daydream. I hope to have a keeper cut of each of these three by the end of the year so that I can explore the seeds I have for 2015 (Lotus Larry, Black Triangle, Superstitious, and Love Dawg). The only other cut I am currently holding is the HPRC cut of Ganja Rebel's Double Strawberry Diesel.

One final warning before you enter. I can be a grumpy fucker, and i have significant back pain so if i seem like a dick it's because I am one.

But I do love ganja. My goal is to grow what I like best, and I have no market to play to. I like it that way. PMed and moldy herb sprayed with godknowswhat? Not for me.

The number one reason I started this journal was to have a place to discuss soil.

I have learned a great deal from many people here at ICMag and want to make sure these discussions keep rolling.

A few days ago I posted this photo of my Lucky Charms keeper in the Bodhi Seeds info thread, it was grown from clone at 63 days flowering, water only, recycled soil. I will use it as a launch point for this thread with the promise of fresh photos to come.

Last edited by Siskiyou; 11-16-2014 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: grammar
Siskiyou is offline Quote

22 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:15 PM #2
Siskiyou

Siskiyou is a glorious beacon of lightSiskiyou is a glorious beacon of lightSiskiyou is a glorious beacon of lightSiskiyou is a glorious beacon of lightSiskiyou is a glorious beacon of lightSiskiyou is a glorious beacon of lightSiskiyou is a glorious beacon of lightSiskiyou is a glorious beacon of lightSiskiyou is a glorious beacon of lightSiskiyou is a glorious beacon of lightSiskiyou is a glorious beacon of light
My soil began as a soil-less medium, Pro-Mix HP. It was ammended with a complete dry organic fertilizer: Happy Frog Peace-Of-Mind Fruit & Flower 5-8-4, and a non-organic one: Marine Cuisine 10-7-7. I then added a bag of Buckaroo EWC. That worked well.

Using a complete dry organic fertilizer like Happy Frog or Dr. Earth is rather like using "cajun seasoning" rather than paprika, garlic, onion, thyme, mustard and white pepper. Some chefs may think that's cheating, but it works well for me.

Happy Frog Fruit & Flower 5-8-4
Ingredients: Feather Meal, Bone Meal, Hydrolyzed Fish, Fish Meal, Fish Bone Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Sulfate of Potash Magnesia, Blood Meal, Bat Guano, Rock Phosphate, Kelp Meal and Gypsum. Happy Frog Organic Fertilizers include mycorrhizae and humic acid.

My grandfather grew delicious tomatoes, peppers, avocados and apricots. The heart of his garden was his worm pile, which received coffee grounds, fish guts and banana leaves among other things. The product of that worm pile was his soil and his fertilizer. And the worms made good bait.

I purchased a worm farm and 1,000 red wigglers.

My wife and I drink plenty of coffee, so a healthy supply of grounds was at hand. Other things that have gone into the worm bin include: fruit and vegetable peels and scraps, leaves, newspaper, paper egg carton, eggshells, coir, pumice, aloe vera, nettles, cannamulch (roots, stems, leaves, ashtray leavings, roaches, etc.), biochar (pecan, hickory, dogwood and mesquite), used soil, azomite, and rice hulls.

To recycle the resulting soil, which was obviously too precious to just throw away, I ammended it with a bit of Happy Frog POM and some homemade vermicompost in addition to the commercial EWC. That worked even better it seemed.

I repeated the same ammendents for the next round, and began adding significant amounts of rice hulls and some pumice each reammendment to lighten the soil which was becoming heavier. Additionally, I have added a bit of azomite and kelp meal to my regular ammendments.

9 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:38 PM #3
Siskiyou

Here is my "not-quite-organic" disclosure:

Marine Cuisine 10-7-7 Ingredients: Cottonseed Meal, Blood Meal, Earthworm Castings, Fish Meal, Shrimp Meal,
Crab Meal, Bat Guano, Seabird Guano, Kelp Meal, Urea, Ammonium sulphate, Calcium Nitrate, Ammonium Phosphate, Treble Phosphate, Potassium Sulphate, Potassium Chloride, Ferrous Sulphate, Iron Sucrate, Manganese Sucrate

Buckaroo Worm Castings (Sanctuary)
Worms fed with: composted forest humus, corn meal, greensand, azomite, gypsum, oyster shell flour, walnut meal and alfalfa meal (not certified organic)

I use Clonex cloning gel.

The Marine Cuisine is long gone, and I rarely use any commercial worm castings any more.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:47 PM #4
Bueno Time

Bueno Time is a splendid one to beholdBueno Time is a splendid one to beholdBueno Time is a splendid one to beholdBueno Time is a splendid one to beholdBueno Time is a splendid one to beholdBueno Time is a splendid one to beholdBueno Time is a splendid one to beholdBueno Time is a splendid one to beholdBueno Time is a splendid one to beholdBueno Time is a splendid one to beholdBueno Time is a splendid one to behold
Nice thread start so far Siski, I just bought 2000 red wigglers myself yesterday to finally start some worm bins. 16 sq ft is a pretty humble size for a personal garden, mine is only 6 sq ft.

Anyway Im subbed up to see some more.

Bueno Time is offline Quote

Old 10-29-2014, 07:51 PM #5
HatchBrew

Location: Chanting Atheist Hymns at my Pagan Totem...non-gov't subsidized.
HatchBrew has much to be proud ofHatchBrew has much to be proud ofHatchBrew has much to be proud ofHatchBrew has much to be proud ofHatchBrew has much to be proud ofHatchBrew has much to be proud ofHatchBrew has much to be proud ofHatchBrew has much to be proud ofHatchBrew has much to be proud ofHatchBrew has much to be proud ofHatchBrew has much to be proud of
I grow in a tent too for just myself! Do outdoor as well. Nice analogy on ready to use spice mixes/fertilizers!

Subbed in.

Never dealt with any of the genetics you're after so it'll be educational on many fronts!
Switched to organically grown last summer, loved the results and experience.

All my soil from outdoor this year I dumped into a smart pot big bed and grew cover crops in it. Growing a lot of organic material for worms (which will help keep them warm for the rainy/cold season here) and compost bins. Keep cutting it back when it's about a foot tall. Will be amending it the spring time for use again in summer time.

Thank you!
HatchBrew is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:24 PM #6
Siskiyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueno Time View Post
Nice thread start so far Siski, I just bought 2000 red wigglers myself yesterday to finally start some worm bins. 16 qt ft is a pretty humble size for a personal garden, mine is only 6 sq ft.

Anyway Im subbed up to see some more.
Thanks Bueno, 6 square feet would be a challenge for sure. Welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchBrew View Post
I grow in a tent too for just myself! Do outdoor as well. Nice analogy on ready to use spice mixes/fertilizers!
Never dealt with any of the genetics you're after so it'll be educational on many fronts!
Switched to organically grown last summer, loved the results and experience.

Thank you!
Discussing the strains I grow is one of the main reasons I was compelled to start this thread. Another was worms.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:02 PM #7
HatchBrew

HatchBrew has much to be proud ofHatchBrew has much to be proud ofHatchBrew has much to be proud ofHatchBrew has much to be proud ofHatchBrew has much to be proud ofHatchBrew has much to be proud ofHatchBrew has much to be proud ofHatchBrew has much to be proud ofHatchBrew has much to be proud ofHatchBrew has much to be proud ofHatchBrew has much to be proud of
Never grown any of Bodhi's seeds, just checked their listings, wow they have a lot of choices!!

You have:
Lucky Charms = the white x appalachia (green crack x tres dawg).
Dream Beaver= dirty hippy (afgooey x snow lotus) x appalachia (green crack x tres dawg).
Sunshine Daydream= bubbashine x appalachia (green crack x tres dawg).

Dream beaver makes me laugh...and sounds like some fun stuff.

What kind of phenotypes did you see on the lucky charms? You seeing a lot of common characteristics across all three stains or fairly unique/different? because the appalacia in them.

HPRC cut of Ganja Rebel's Double Strawberry Diesel. Who/what is HPRC? is she stretchy? love me some strawberry, ran dinafem strawberry cough couple years ago, didn't find a keeper, but some decent smoke.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:05 PM #8
HatchBrew

Do you perpetually flower or just load it up all at once?

Where do you veg? keep moms?

have you ever made any glycerin tinctures? just strained my first batch, it's great for body relief.

I'm just interested, not trying to critique, just a small grower as well, that tries to only spend money on electricity and occasional kelp meal or fish juice bucket.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:19 PM #9
Siskiyou

Last year I read about Appalachia and I knew I had to go there. No, not the geographic region, the cannabis strain Appalachia which is "green crack x jj's tres dawg created by h&l."
In order to explore Appalachia, I ordered three packs of Bodhi Seeds from the 'bay when they appeared last fall. Bodhi's written descriptions set the hook. How could I possibly not want Dream Beaver? That name, the description "magical mammalian hybrid smells of muskrat, kitchen herbs, caramelized onion, baked garlic, animal den, she musk, pommellow, peppercorn, and pink grapefruit zest…no joke…. with a blast off sativa high that really gets you moving and grooving, and hefty yields of some of the most exotic buds
on the block."

Lucky Charms (The White x Appalachia)
Sunshine Daydream (Bubbashine x Appalachia)
Dream Beaver (Dirty Hippy x Appalachia)

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:35 PM #10
Siskiyou

Quote:
What kind of phenotypes did you see on the lucky charms? You seeing a lot of common characteristics across all three stains or fairly unique/different? because the appalacia in them.
I chose between 2 females of LC. I chose my LC4. Some documentation here
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....34#post6262234

Quote:
HPRC cut of Ganja Rebel's Double Strawberry Diesel. Who/what is HPRC? is she stretchy? love me some strawberry, ran dinafem strawberry cough couple years ago, didn't find a keeper, but some decent smoke.
DSD is Double Strawberry Diesel F2 clone

Double Strawberry Diesel = Strawberry Diesel x Strawberry Diesel

Strawberry Diesel = Kyle Kushmans Strawberry Cough x Sour Diesel IBL

HPRC cut of Ganja Rebel's Double Strawberry Diesel F2 (Winter 2012).

Flowering time 8-10 weeks. Usually done in 9 weeks.

Excellent yield. good smoke, distinctive flavor. easy to trim, good mold resistance. some sensitivity to fans/low rh, burns under intense light (keep at least 18" from 1K). appears to like a little extra nitrogen in the mix, yellows during senescence anyway. definitely improves and gets smoother after a few weeks in the jar. needs good support, weakish stems, heavy buds.

10 members found this post helpful.