What's new

Immunity - where has it gone?

T

Teddybrae

Poor sad people the Missus and I are. In our seventies. We eat only a little bit of meat ... live miles away from civilisation ... don't dig potatoes but sure dig the garden ... don't get colds ... have never had the flu ... walk about the forest a lot gawking at Nature ... without our clothes ... last severe illnesses were genetic predilections (inherited). Still have sex at least once a week.

Our children are strong as oxen? elephants? Nah ... as Humans! They don't get sick either because we starved them when they were young. (At least that's what they say ...)

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Armedoldhippy says "let them see what having nothing looks like, and they will appreciate what they receive a lot more"

Tongue in cheek, but anecdotally it nails the concept.

My children were raised in a dry cabin and while not vegan, meat is an occasional commodity to address protein needs, sugar is treated as a drug.

All three children are functional in society. Objectively good people, friendly, educated, and willing to help a neighbor in need.
Comparing a cross section of in-laws with similar genetics shows such huge discrepancies in behavior it is unlikely in the extreme to be a random result. Reap what you sow and all that.

Rules were fair, life was hard. The children are exceptional.
And of course, the grandkids are spoiled.
Got old and life is beautiful all the time.

LNG

Poor sad people the Missus and I are. In our seventies. We eat only a little bit of meat ... live miles away from civilisation ... don't dig potatoes but sure dig the garden ... don't get colds ... have never had the flu ... walk about the forest a lot gawking at Nature ... without our clothes ... last severe illnesses were genetic predilections (inherited). Still have sex at least once a week.

Our children are strong as oxen? elephants? Nah ... as Humans! They don't get sick either because we starved them when they were young. (At least that's what they say ...)

I wish I could live like that later in my life.... Without kids tho, my siblings can take care of continuing family line...
But this is true, also agree with Phaeton….

I grew up with not much wealth wise, mum being a teacher and running organic farm besides having a day job. There wasn’t many kids around (closest peers of my age was 3 miles plus) so my usual past time was spending days outside, often reading, tending to my own flower bed and exploring forests that were closer to our house than other kids.

I learned so much as a kid about nature and its processes. I developed skills that has played big part in my adult life. I really wish more kids would have connection with nature.
I think that sort of environment did help me with school as well. I never struggled with chemistry, physics or biology as well as applying ‘reap what you sow’ to humanitarian subjects in many cases.

And obviously all these aspects, including 100% organic home-grown food, have contributed to immunity and lack of allergies. But not just that, I also – learned to avoid sick (viral) people like plague.

Perhaps big cities are bad for us, even if you count only one of many factors: proximity to one another…. It is true that we have succeeded as a group rather than an individual, but it wasn’t millions of us stuffed in one cave.

There is only one thing that growing up in calm healthy environment did not help me with after moving to big cities - developing mental health issues caused by being close to people.. Oh I do miss the country life….

Sunshineinabag

Ever had a skeeter on yer peeeter?

T

Teddybrae

Thanks to the Members who quoted me. I want to but can't give you rep.

As you say, NLP, I think growing up in the countryside is a great advantage to viewpoint as well as health.

Sunshine? OK so I 'm trying to get over genital orientation too ... but not to brag Mate, or be prurient, but the problem comes when I squat. Ants are a bigger problem than skeeters.

And I call my 'peeter' Fred.

Ever had a skeeter on yer peeeter?

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
I'm 40 and really scared of getting old. I don't drink or do drugs, I just smoke cannabis. I'm afraid of getting old. Teddybrae I don't want to be 70, man. I live like and feel in my early 20's.

baduy

As a 50 years old fart I can assure you that while getting old is not the most pleasant of experiences the alternative is much worse.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
As a 50 years old fart I can assure you that while getting old is not the most pleasant of experiences the alternative is much worse.

i'm here to agree with every damn word you typed. getting old really sucks, but... alternatives? nope...

moses wellfleet

Veteran
- Maybe there will be a great shift back to the land - when events in the cities cause desperation and the necessity for survival would be reverting back to most people having to be engaged with farm/agricultural work once again - if they wanted to eat - as it was in the past -

- brings forth thoughts of a peasants and the Royals re-run - after the successful eradication of the middle-classes/small businesses - the ever expanding division of wealth brings more of this daily -

- back to digging in the dirt for a turnip - as a King trots by - ahhh - that'll help the immune system! -

View Image

I saw a show somewhere about the black plague,
that killed millions of peasants in the 1300s?

Well the reduction in population actually improved the lives of the peasants that survived. Their labour was in demand because of short supply so they earned more. Wealthy landowners were no longer able to exploit the peasants.

I wonder if the world is headed for a reset?

dramamine

I saw a show somewhere about the black plague,
that killed millions of peasants in the 1300s?

Well the reduction in population actually improved the lives of the peasants that survived. Their labour was in demand because of short supply so they earned more. Wealthy landowners were no longer able to exploit the peasants.

I wonder if the world is headed for a reset?

That makes sense for then. One difference now is that tech can and has replaced many manual labor tasks. Many laborers are at loose ends already.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
That makes sense for then. One difference now is that tech can and has replaced many manual labor tasks. Many laborers are at loose ends already.

until the machines can repair themselves, there will always be manual labor jobs. not as many though, and most will require more education...everyone should read "the Third Wave" by Alvin & Heidi Toffler. the shit going on now was foretold years ago...

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
until the machines can repair themselves, there will always be manual labor jobs. not as many though, and most will require more education...everyone should read "the Third Wave" by Alvin & Heidi Toffler. the shit going on now was foretold years ago...
... not just that context! The writing on the wall has been around for centuries!

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I saw some talk about eating honey produced in your own neighborhood introduces you to local pollen and creates immunity against allergic reactions to pollen.

Some internet sources claim it is an old wives tale. But I can't see any harm in eating locally produced honey.

White Beard

- funny - I never got sick in the tropics - maybe it was the earthworm I ate as a hungry and curious child in the west - or just coming from people who lived in the dirt - so had already established a good immune system - was breastfed - so had it in the blood - and the milk?
Exactly: we acquire our immune system from our mothers, a specific advantage of breast milk; that does us until we get mobile and begin sampling our surroundings

White Beard

Yeah hear ya! At that stage of life it is too late. A western person exposed to massive doses of germs very suddenly can only do themselves harm.

But what about controlled exposure at a young age to acquire immunity, inoculating ourselves against common bugs, instead of avoiding them?

Getting a child to take washing their hands *seriously* can be a hellish chore. Even with my appreciation of my solid, old-fashioned constitution, keeping some control over the filth children get into is something I recognize as real. My personal standard is ‘clean enough’ on the stricter side, but hygiene is a genuine concern beyond simple risk of infection....

moses wellfleet

Veteran
If people wake up to immunity issues then I guess you will see sachets of dirt infused with different soil borne pathogens up for sale.

Pour contents of sachet into sandpit, add water, mix thoroughly and presto your kid has the exposure required to develop immunity.

$2.99 per sachet. Free bucket to build sand castles.

Latest posts

Latest posts