What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

We grow vegetable gardens too! Post your Garden pics here

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I am envious of your weedless gardens. I am in a constant battle with the weeds! It's doesn't matter how much I put they never end. I till between the rows but they still come back within days and the hills are non-stop pulling.

just taking a break from doing exactly that,
darn weeds ,
hard with close grown crops like garlic and shallots where you cant use straw mulch to suppress the weeds ,
im looking for a good source of sawdust to keep the soil covered at least and slow the weeds down ...

its a constant battle like you say devilweedseeds.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol,you guys should try dealing with bermuda grass sometime,i took a pickaxe to the flower bed and sifted a couple of wheelbarrow loads of rhizomes out of the ground and its still coming back! now its in an amended well watered flower bed and it will never go away...

T

The Sensi Rebel

OrganiicBudz,
I worked in a greenhouse where our specialties were tomatoes and geraniums and you want to plant them deep. all the Fibrous hair up the going up the bottom of the stem is a potential root nub. keep your compost nearby and fuck the rest! its really watering and training from there if your soil is legit.

What do you graft in?

TSR

OrganicBuds

Veteran
What do I graft in?

Well, I like to put down a roll of fresh plastic over my work bench. I throw on a pair of latex gloves, get fresh razor blades, and some 99% alcohol. Then I soap and wash my cloning dome, and everything that goes with it. I also wash with soap and water some 1/4 or 3/8 tubing.

Then you just cut a wedge in the plant that you are removing the root mass from, and cut an opposite shaped cut in the plant with the root mass you want. Join the two with the 1/4-3/8 tubing as a band-aid, and keep clean. I like to water from below using capillary action instead of watering from above, raising your chances for disease.

I used a vigorous early girl as the base because they grow fantastically in my area. I forgot what I grafted to that root ball, but it was an heirloom of some variety. I found a good video on you tube if anybody wants to check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHnOYcI6B44

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Thank you to all who posted. Please keep them coming.

Organic buds- thank you for posting info on grafting as it is not my strong point.

Captain- Yes I do cover up rows of potatoes with more dirt/mulch. Last year it was chicken shit. This year probably be that and wood chips. Thanks for stopping in.

Littleleaf- looking forward to watching you garden explode this summer. You have the nicest fluffy soil. The shade cloths suggest you get extremely intense sunshine where your at.

Thank you all at IC!:tiphat:

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
What do I graft in?

Well, I like to put down a roll of fresh plastic over my work bench. I throw on a pair of latex gloves, get fresh razor blades, and some 99% alcohol. Then I soap and wash my cloning dome, and everything that goes with it. I also wash with soap and water some 1/4 or 3/8 tubing.

Then you just cut a wedge in the plant that you are removing the root mass from, and cut an opposite shaped cut in the plant with the root mass you want. Join the two with the 1/4-3/8 tubing as a band-aid, and keep clean. I like to water from below using capillary action instead of watering from above, raising your chances for disease.

I used a vigorous early girl as the base because they grow fantastically in my area. I forgot what I grafted to that root ball, but it was an heirloom of some variety. I found a good video on you tube if anybody wants to check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHnOYcI6B44

Have you tried grafting cannabis?

I got out for a while and made some adjustments, and am now trying to adjust to them..... but before I was pretty dialed in.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=215991

Sorry for the thread jack there, grafting is one of the seldom explored avenues of growing.

Personally, with the work it took to graft cannabis,.... I'll not likely be grafting tomatoes or fruit trees in the foreseeable future.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
A nice Blue Dream rootball on a GSC top, sounds like a match maid in heaven. I have never grafted cannabis, I actually just started grafting tomatoes. Maybe after this outdoor season I will mess around with some canna grafts.

T

The Sensi Rebel

What is your success rate of grafting tomatoes vs. cloning via cuttings in water/medium?

Stupid question, but say you take a GSC(tomato A) top into the Blue Dream (tomato B) root-ball...does the GSC use the Blue Dream rootball primarily and expand via THAT root mass? Or does it expand at the joint where A meets B and just uses B as a supplemental moisture source?

Idk about you guys but rooting cannabis and rooting tomatoes to me are apples and oranges..I have a much better success rate with mj than I do tomatoes. The tomatoes respond well to water cloning though.
TSR

OrganicBuds

Veteran
When I clone canna I have very high % of success. However, when grafting, I lost more than I was successful with.

In theory, when grafting a plant you want to choose a root ball that is compatible with your soil conditions. This is more apparent when growing tomatoes, but the same applies for canna. So the GSC top will perform better in the soil that the Blue Dream clone bottom excels in. That doesn't mean you will get a blue dream size gsc, but it will help maintain healthy growth.

Where I think grafting really comes in handy with cannabis is having a mother that is grafted with 4 strains on it. That way, you keep your plant numbers down, and have a mother plant that can clone 4 different strains from. Kind of like an apple-pear-apricot tree, but instead, GSC-Blue Dream-OG kush mother.

T

The Sensi Rebel

Organic Budz you are the dude! Genius man! I learn a lot from you my dude. to all of you guys, thanks for putting in advice for the best veggie garden(s) I grew yet.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
picture.php

That is all.....

izzybud

out of the 18-20 rows planted in my 8 are:

sunflower
sweet pepper (big dipper, sweet hybrid mix)
hot pepper (coyame hybrid, jalapeno early)
okra
watermelon (allsweet, mini sweet)
tomatoes
sweet corn
pumpkins
carrots
cucumbers (burpless beauty, salad slicer)
lettuce (giant Caesar, salad bowl)

already looking to expand the variety for next year.

Hazy Eye

Holy Smokes your garden is Awesome!
I wish I had the area to do what you do. Most excellent to see you taking full advantage of your situation. Big Respect to you & yours.
Here's what I'm working with this year:
3 8' x 8' beds that had a load of horse manure compost and a bale of old hay tilled into them about 2 months ago.

In the east box, I have it rowed for corn, 13 sprouted in rooters already, and just soaked a bunch more earlier. I'll have them behind about 2 weeks. Also in this box is 3 pepper. Hot & Sweet Banana + Giant Jalapeno.

In the center box I've got 4 different tomatoes to see what does best. Early Girl, Beefsteaks, Big Boys & ....I'll hafta check.

I had to cage up my strawberry because it was already robbed of 6 nice ones....this should do nicely.

Got 2 new packs of cuke & watermelon seeds soaking tonight and will plant in the ground tomorrow afternoon. When My Garden grows up...it wants to be like Your Garden.
Good Luck to everybody this season!

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Great pictures and great additions to this thread folks! I have only failed attempts at grafting cannabis. Slowly but surely getting the mulch into rows here and the garden is pretty well planted now. Will be tossing up a few pictures when I finish getting the mulch in. Thank you everyone for their input.:thank you:

Hazy Eye

OrganiicBudz,
I worked in a greenhouse where our specialties were tomatoes and geraniums and you want to plant them deep. all the Fibrous hair up the going up the bottom of the stem is a potential root nub. keep your compost nearby and fuck the rest! its really watering and training from there if your soil is legit.

What do you graft in?

TSR

I've had my tomatoes outside for about 2 weeks now. When they were buried, Mrs. Hazy planted them in hole that was just level and left it in the container. I thought this would cause a good rootball as it fought thru the container...No?
Would they be better served to dig them up and replant them deeper? There still small and I could easily plant a couple nodes deep on all of them. Also, if not, should I trim the lower growth? Tomatoes are new to me so I'm just trying to go for it. Any tips would surely be appreciated. :smoke:

So after reading hours about mulch last night, I had a plan this morning. Ok, maybe not so much a plan as a stoner moment.

I chopped down a bunch of the following two plants and used an old push blade mower to chop down a nice little patch of dandelion.

I then tore up a card board box into decent little pieces.
I mixed the cardboard in a 5 gal bucket and put water with old age kelp in it about 1 /3 full. Then I put the long grasses in there and mixed it all together making sure everything was soaked in the kelp water.I pushed it down until the liquid just covered everything and then I threw a shovel of my garden soil on it. Kind of capped it. Then I put it in a trash bag and I'm letting that baby bake.

My hope is that the very stringy fibers of these grasses soak up the kelp and they will be an easily workable mulch. After I get everything planted I need to get more ground cover in there for sure. The info hear about mulching makes me ache for my soil....I need to get some life on it! A turned over shovel always has a few worms in it now...I just need to get that surface alive!

Happy Gardening Folks.

Hazy Eye

I forgot a couple things about the tomatoes...if I could bug you for another minute. What is this sucker pinching that I read about and is this legit? And do they like acidic soil?

Latest posts

Latest posts