What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why is Organic Cannabis better?

Hey Microbeman It seems that most peoples experience with organics is limited to feeding out of a bottle that says organic. This really limits the positive results one will see and i try to keep this in mind. I realise why many people assume or even deduce that organics provide little to no benefits. This is directly a result of the fertilizer industy. I just hope to inform people of the full picture and allow them to make decisions based on all the available info. If i can't change someones personal opinion that is fine but for those who are still trying to sort thru all the info available they deserve to have as many viewpoints as possible.

C21H30O2

I have ridden the mighty sandworm.
Veteran
STOP!!!!!! DONT LET THIS THREAD DEGRADE....

STOP!!!!!! DONT LET THIS THREAD DEGRADE....

we can still save it. everyone take a deep breath. breath, breath, ok...

Lazyman, you seem to be spear heading the defense for chem so i direct this towards you in light of your experience and test grows.

You used bottled organic nutrients for your grow, correct? If this is so most serious organic growers would not have considered your attempt valid or substantial. you seem to understand that organics relies on microbes but have you done a grow with well made compost, earth work castings, rock dust and biochar? did you let it sit for at least 2 weeks? while the plants grew did you feed them Actively aerated compost tea designed to feed the micro-organisms and not the plant. Did you foliar with said tea?

Finally, did you reuse your soil, adding materials to further support the microbial life?

If you didnt do these things, you didnt grow organically. bottled organic nutrients are not the same thing at all.

If this is the case im sure your logic and your ego will allow you to see that your experiences are different than others because you did not do the things that they did thus achieving the results that they did.

If this is not the case please present it as you see.

I hope the discussion can continue amicably.

c21

imadoofus

Veteran
observation

observation

I did explain very clearly when growing organically one can create a ecosystem that is not only living but contains organisms that have a symbiotic relationship with cannabis. Thus you are aiding the plant to obtain results that are not possible without said symbiotic relationships being present. I know your next question is what are these benefits. They range from increased pest resistance, to increased nutrient uptake, to increased resistance to environmental conditions etc.

if this was entirely true, wouldnt these benefactors contribute to faster, more robust growth?

but, they dont.

my last post. remember, my chems are more organic than you teas.

C21H30O2

Veteran
if this was entirely true, wouldnt these benefactors contribute to faster, more robust growth?

but, they dont.

my last post. remember, my chems are more organic than you teas.

no they wouldnt. in chem adding more is better. not so in organic. your logic is flawed. you have to understand the system you are interacting with to positively influence it.

S

schwagg

thank you SH

thank you SH

Hey Microbeman It seems that most peoples experience with organics is limited to feeding out of a bottle that says organic. This really limits the positive results one will see and i try to keep this in mind. I realise why many people assume or even deduce that organics provide little to no benefits. This is directly a result of the fertilizer industy. I just hope to inform people of the full picture and allow them to make decisions based on all the available info. If i can't change someones personal opinion that is fine but for those who are still trying to sort thru all the info available they deserve to have as many viewpoints as possible.

well put...

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
C21H; Not one single post addressed the question/topic put forth, instead the shouters wanted to shout. You can read this stuff from Lazy all over this forum.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
I've been growing 20+ years,over half of that was using chem ferts. 15 years ago I began looking for better ways and started experimenting with organic methods. If organic herb sucked so bad,why in the F*#K would I still be getting better and better results and having people demand my herb over chem garbage after they smoke it? I recycle my soil,it's like having a pet,and the most valuable thing I own. My yields are comparable to chem yields. Just got nearly 7lbs from 5K,and I have got 2lbs per 1000 watt in the past. I think when it comes to yield,it matters what type of garden set up you do,what type of cannabis,and how well you grow...period. I usually stay out of these pissing matches,my 2 cents......organic is clearly better. Gunfight..tomorrow,high noon,main street in front of the old saloon.
PEACE CC1

C21H30O2

Veteran
All chem growers who say they have gown organic need to address those questions before they can honestly say they have grown organically. Just as there have been advances in the application of chem there have been advances in the supporting of an organic system.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Where in this thread did it say: "outdoor weed is better with organics than with salt ferts!"

It doesn't.

It says organic is better. I and several others have posted that it is not.

regarding my indoor grows, no, I didn't use my own composted soil etc, as those aren't practical for indoor use (the bugs in it alone would make it verboten) let alone getting 500 gallons of it to be perfect and even for each crop. Outdoor growers can do this with ease, but I know of only a couple indoor growers who do this.

I used coco and OMRI-listed Pura Vida bottled organic nutes in my test grow, which I did for the organic hydro forum as a kindness. It certainly didn't give me encouraging results, but I digress.

So to clarify, please explain to me why I should use organic soil indoors, when most of the benefits of it come from having it outdoors?

S

schwagg

I've been growing 20+ years,over half of that was using chem ferts. 15 years ago I began looking for better ways and started experimenting with organic methods. If organic herb sucked so bad,why in the F*#K would I still be getting better and better results and having people demand my herb over chem garbage after they smoke it? I recycle my soil,it's like having a pet,and the most valuable thing I own. My yields are comparable to chem yields. Just got nearly 7lbs from 5K,and I have got 2lbs per 1000 watt in the past. I think when it comes to yield,it matters what type of garden set up you do,what type of cannabis,and how well you grow...period. I usually stay out of these pissing matches,my 2 cents......organic is clearly better. Gunfight..tomorrow,high noon,main street in front of the old saloon.
PEACE CC1

ill be in the belltower with the scope!

C21H30O2

Veteran
In my experience LM if you have balanced compost the bugs and their predators will also be balanced. Yes there will be some bugs in the grow room but none will gain a foot hold and overtake your plant. Further more did you know that organic plants excrete chemicals that repel insects? chem plants do not do this? The biology is required to get this effect. So yes you get a bug or two but its not what I would call an issue.

1.) As for yield i think a quick trip to V.G.'s grows can have all of the validation needed, and he achieves all this without implementing some of the more complex organic practices. Just a simple mix and water from day one.

2.) Growth is a far more complex matter that really is not nearly as quantifiable. However plants are genetically capable of a certain amount of growth and this is their limit. As for what results are achieved that is entirely dependent on a whole host of inputs. This is where some of those benefits that are apparently "outdoor only" come in to play. The symbiotic relationships that are created allow for a wider variance in a whole host of things. The roots are made more resistant to pests and overwatering thus allowing a wider variance in root enviroment while still obtaining optimal results. Also due to the ability of symbiotic organisms to break down compounds and make them available to the plant nutrients that would not usually be available are made available even if the PH is not in the range that usually allows uptake of said nutrients. And before you go off about how you can perfectly control your environment allowing only what is necessary to be added it would be very arrogant to assume that you know what the plant needs more than it does. Plants evolve to survive thus they are a result of the optimal survivors. Allowing a plant to choose what it uptakes and when it uptakes it cannot be overstated.

Potency is far to complex and subjective for any of us to claim supperiority so let me just say this if you aint getting high i would look for some new genetics.

Efficiency can be measured in a variety of ways. The main number i hear thrown around is GPW. If this is your choice of measurment i once again point you in the direction of V.G.

S

schwagg

It says organic is better. I and several others have posted that it is not.

regarding my indoor grows, no, I didn't use my own composted soil etc, as those aren't practical for indoor use (the bugs in it alone would make it verboten)

So to clarify, please explain to me why I should use organic soil indoors, when most of the benefits of it come from having it outdoors?

that's what he really wants to know without realizing it.

eww.... the bugs! yucky! maybe i should get some eagle 125.

U

unthing

Bugs can be controlled with pre-emptivily with predator bugs, but fusarium in soil bed..

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Ok and the relationship between the microherd and the newly-transplanted cutting: How long does it take for this relationship to take hold and begin feeding the plant as much as it requires? I know it's not instantly, which puts it at an immediate disadvantage to salt ferts. Any delay slows growth and diminishes yield.

About the bugs and organic soil, do you think this symbiosis occurs irrespective of sunlight or UV? Or is this another characteristic exhibited primarily by outdoor plants?

Tilt

I grew up on a small farm. I never heard about ph, npk, and all that other stuff. Then I researched this plant and got my head filled with all this stuff that sounded absurd to how I was raised.
We used a rototiller and added rabbit poo spread evenly over the ground turned under. We always had bumper crops. Tomatoes, peppers, grapes, figs, berrys, stawberries, onions, garlic, beans, squash, zuchini, pecans,apricots and various other veggies. We never sprayed pesticide and we never used chemicals on the ground. We sold our traded our extra produce. We raised chickens, rabbits, ducks, goats, and 1 pig for yearly slaughter. We visited the grocery store twice per year. I never tasted pastuerized 2% milk till I went to school (yuck). I didnt develope allergys till moving to the city. I ate a very rich diet and was not overweight till moving to the city. I know have to go to a gym. I have to watch what I eat. I have to take allergy meds to function. This is why I prefer organics. I would love to return to the life I grew up with.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
some points not discuss in this thread

1) organic is phonetically close to orgasmic

2) the differential being mirobrial interactions in the rhizosphere that influence the production of secondary metabolites such as alkaloids, terpenoids and flavonoids

Latest posts

Latest posts