What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Aussie Flora and Fauna thread ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
:thank you:
Glad you all liked the Pics.....

Hey b00m....Harry does look a bit cheeky, sorta like he knows his way around that garden!

Looks like he's out of luck as far as the bananas go though....

Same at my place....they're never encouraged, but at the same time they know what fruit's in the orchid and often drop in for a feed of whatever might be on the ground.

My guy's been coming and going for years....I feel honored that he's comfortable enough to bring his chicks around ....he's showing them off as well as showing them around.

far out! a tree kangaroo!
That's what I thought too! Last thing I expected to see out side the back door!

WOW. The micro bat is the coolest thing ever/
It is isn't it!....look at the size of it's ears compared to it's head!

P.

S

Sat X RB

Ironbark Orchid

Ironbark Orchid

spotted this. it's a little past its prime but nice to look at anyway.

around here these orchids only grow on narrow leaf grey ironbark and sometimes on black wattles.

cheers all.

picture.php

picture.php

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
:good: Very Nice Sat :gday:
Orchids are just stunning, even more so in a natural setting :D
:smoke out:

S

Sat X RB

picture.php

thought I 'd bump the thread with these images of life in my garden. no big deal. just another black snake. and not very big at that. but her presence affirms that in our garden we're doing the right thing by Nature

she's been hunting here for almost two months. digging in the mulch and haring (ha ha! how can a snake 'hare'?!) across the lawn after whatever frog she flushes.

I thought snakes didn't see well but she spots the frogs first leap ... then gets confused when they do a second leap at right angles.

of course the frogs soon go back to their shady spot which is exactly where the snake returns to.

Oh yeah. how do I know it is a 'she'? because in the time she's been here I 've watched her belly increasingly swell close to her tail ... which can be seen in the pic below.

these female black snakes form small communities/nurseries and birth as a group. wierd eh? so that means live young, not eggs.

cheers All!

picture.php

S

Sat X RB

White Winged Choughs ('chuffs')

White Winged Choughs ('chuffs')

the dry is bringing birds into our garden that we don't usually see unless we go into the forest.

these birds with their cruel-looking curved beaks and red eyes appear as if they should be guarding the gates of hell ... !

but they're quiet and peaceful and wander around the forest floor sweeping it with their beaks in search of insect food. we don't mind them getting into the mulch around our fruit trees because they're so gentle. unlike chooks they don't dig and scratch so the mulch remains more or less in the same place.

there's 13 in this family group and they have an interesting vocabulary of shrieks, honks and whistles. very interesting to listen to ... if yr a listener.

they are NOT a crow ... altho one common name for them is 'pine crow'.

and the white on their wings can't be seen until they fly.

oh yeah. they warn of large intruders in the bush. turkeys, dingoes ... and man. so they are the guerrilla gardener's friend.

cheers all ...

picture.php

Rumblefish

Nice pics M8 love that Black Snake and yes their favorite food is frogs
Choughs are a funny bird! I had a bunch of them checking out a curled up garden hose in the back yard last week ,I think they thought it was a snake ,took them a few hours to work out it wasn't .The collective Noun for a group of Choughs is a "chattering" quite appropriate if you know the birds, Nesting and breeding is communal, all members of the family helping to raise the young - a process that takes several years, as young birds must learn the art of finding food in the dry Australian bush. Larger families have a better chance of breeding success: so much so that given the opportunity Choughs will kidnap the youngsters of neighboring families in order to recruit them to the team: the more helpers the better! (wiki ref) Rf

Cheers WW...
Mr Sat, it's Pandanus.
I can't find much on the spider.....obviously spent a lot of time in the Pandanus....possibly undescribed?

Anyway, thought I'd bump this along again with more flowers...
Ylang Ylang.....these things smell amazing.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

P.

Not sure that this constitutes Australian flora and fauna.....
I was down collecting seaweed after the south easterlies late last year....here's some of the more exotic finds.

picture.php

picture.php

P.

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
:good: Beautiful photos Persephone :gday:

My last year in FNQ (8yrs ago) living on a beach front, that dark purple seaweed was just choking the beach, local fisherman said the tides were bringing it in from Indonesia and it made fishing and boating a real nightmare while it was around. The stuff really stunk too as it was rotting away on the beach :nono: more so than the normal seaweed :chin:

You're not wrong, it'll clog up your water intake....gotta be watching all the time!
Only seems to be around late in the year... Sept / Oct.

What I love about it though....is it's free, easily accessible, and makes great mulch.
I try to put some down around the fruit trees, and in the garden each year.

P.

S

Sat X RB

"you must spread some reputation around before giving it to Persephone again."

X

x SLAYER x

heyo

heyo

So, I was inspecting the roses yesterday when I noticed a lump on one of the buds ....

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

He very nearly got flicked off until I had a closer look & ran inside to grab camera & tripod. Took me ages to get these three shots in the wind lol. It seems to have adapted to life in the roses quite well.

:tiphat:

nimbin1

Hi Donald. Trying to get in contact again but don't seem to be able to pm.been. A while since i have been on here.need to chat re ducks foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts