What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what PH tester should I get

Hi... I'm going to be buying a PH meter/pen..but theres many to choose from. is there a good one thats under $100.. I would rather not spend more than that, but at the same time dont want a cheap (maybe) innacurate one... any ideas?

A

ak-51

My old Milwaukee one (don't know the model number, it was yellow and black) was fine. I upgraded to an Oakton pH2. The first one I had was a piece of shit that never worked right. The second one, which I still use, is good. The Milwaukee was good enough to do what it was suppose to do: read the pH.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
After growing to hate my Hanna pen, I bought the BlueLab pH meter. It is great - everything that the Hanna isn't: fast, accurate, consistent, holds calibration. They now have a pen version out that is in your requested price range. I don't think that you can beat their gear.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have a bluelab combo meter..

I'm getting rid of it,

to get there new pens.. haha. even though the combo meter has EC and PPM and CF. It's in a box in storage, and I need meters now.

don't skimp out, meters are you life line to knowing what you put in is good, so there is no second guessing or frustration.. well worth the money, and the most important tool.. beside the seed that is

420ish

i use a hm ph200.only problem i have had is broke the sensor by dropping the meter.can find it on amazon for about 80 shipped!

the gnome

Veteran
I have a bluelab combo meter..

I'm getting rid of it,

to get there new pens.. haha. even though the combo meter has EC and PPM and CF. It's in a box in storage, and I need meters now.

don't skimp out, meters are you life line to knowing what you put in is good, so there is no second guessing or frustration.. well worth the money, and the most important tool.. beside the seed that is

sage advice
I have a blue lab combo.
if you take the time and hunt on the auction sites you can find one ridiculously cheep

I've had a quick google at the bluelab combo its expensive but could be a worthwhile investment... £130 is the cheapest I've seen

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Keep an eye on eBay. I found mine on there waaay below what the retailers are selling them for.

Rougarou

My old Milwaukee one (don't know the model number, it was yellow and black) was fine. I upgraded to an Oakton pH2. The first one I had was a piece of shit that never worked right. The second one, which I still use, is good. The Milwaukee was good enough to do what it was suppose to do: read the pH.

Milwaukee ph600. Mine came in yesterday. It's ok so far. I dislike the fact that it won't hold calibration between uses but if my botany professor found out that I *wasn't* calibrating every time she'd flip her wig. That's kind of a pet peeve of hers in the lab. :biggrin:

Clayton_Bigsby

After spending $100 on a PH meter to find out it does the same job as my PH drops, I would advise to save the $95 and get the drops. I can read the drops spot on or within .1 or of what my PH meter actually says. Not saying the Milwakee meter i have isnt nice. It clearly does the job as advertised but the drops are so much cheaper, just as accurate, you dont have to store in a solution, and you will never have to calibrate. Thats my .02

ThePizzaMan

Veteran
Im having good luck with my Milwaukee m600...cheap...so if it does screw with you...get something else. i would stay away from the cheapo hanna meters...

give Milwaukee a try...

i also hear good things about those oakton joints

Cheers

TPM

green356man

nutradip tri-meter

nutradip tri-meter

I've been using a nutradip tri-meter for years. It has never failed me. I highly recommend one.

JohnnyToke

Have been using Oakton phtestr30 for the last 3 years. Just replaced the electrode for the first time last month. Have tried several other brands but they didn't last long. Sticking with Oakton.

GadgetGuy

This is the one I have http://www.ehydroponics.com/blue-lab-ph-pen.html and it's been super sweet so far, multiple calibration points and even dialed in on only the first setting (7.0) it read 4.0 and 10.0 perfectly for a good amount of time before I had to calibrate those settings in so I'm pretty happy. If I had more money I would have sprung for an EC/PH combo from them but I just didn't have the coin at the time. My last PH meter was this one http://www.ofite.com/products/147-16-1.asp and it treated me really well and I pretty much just abused it, really (not knowingly just being super noob). I would leave nutes/molasses soaked water in it etc. between use and pretty much never really rinsed it, calibrated it, or tested it until I started to see some problems in my grows. It was also dropped on a tile floor a few times and fell into buckets of water several times. It didn't turn out to be that far out of whack maybe by .4+/- either way but it could have lived longer if I took better care of it.

Bron

PH

PH

The Ph drops work just fine and reasonably priced. Guaranteed not to have to be replaced. No mechanical problems.:tiphat: