What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best way to install a fitting in plastic pail?

rrog

Veteran
I want to install fittings in 5 gallon plastic pails. Below res level. What's the best, most leakproof method? These would be 1/2" plastic threaded drain fittings

Also, I'd like to have a coarse screen "filter" on the inside to hold back submerged Hydroton. If any resident engineers have an thought on that, I'd be quite grateful

Thanks!

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
I currently use rubber grommets and barbs myself but in the past for larger connections I have used aquarium bulkhead fittings (3" pvc). I've also built my own bulkhead fittings using PVC conduit fittings and foam drain gaskets.

Asil

This is what I use on all my thru wall fittings for my RDWC.
pvc-fitting-436-mal-adapter-sxmips.jpg

Along with this.
pvc-fitting-435-female-adapter-sxfips.jpg

Then I use two o-rings. I try to get a tight fitting o-ring so it seals around the treads well. Have used this set up many times with no leaks. I also drill the hole for the fittings so that you have to screw them thru the bucket. Hope this helps you out.

Asil

I get mine at Menards, but any hardware store should have them. They are by all the rest of the pvc fittings.

rrog

Veteran
What a great bunch of replies. I'm going to get a few systems and see what works best. I'll post the results.

Thanks!

rrog

Veteran
Seems like a lot of people complain about fittings. I am picturing a heat gun to soften the plastic to make flat

M

micro gro

Try E/F bulkhead drain fittings w/ matching screen @ hydro stores. Comes in 1/2" and 3/4".

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
bulkhead fittings are your best bet for long term reliability. That and use a HIGH quality hole saw or fostner bit to drill the hole so you have nice smooth edges. Smooth edges are easier to seal.

darkhollo

Watch the quick disconnects. I used the standard ones for 3/4" hose bibs (standard garden hose) and there is such a small orifice on the inside, almost like a filter, it clogged up and i ended up burning a 130$ pump! fscking sucked.

i say go with the standard pvc fittings, the curvature of the bucket is not an issue with dealing with 1/2" - 1" fittings, much larger and it's an issue. Those uniseals are awesome.. but damn they are proud.

--dh

rrog

Veteran
Have you used the Uniseals DarkH? If they work best, the cost is small.

Good point on the clogging. Thanks!

rrog

Veteran
Man! Has this ever turned into a major pain in the ass. Looking at several forums, the O-ring method has apparently the best success. Went to Lowes, Ace Hardware... nothing. I guess I'll have to order online. The curve of the 5 gal pail is the problem.

DonkeyPunch

I don't know what you are doing, but is it possible to have your plumbing on the flat bottom of the bucket, and your buckets not setting on the floor, but on a couple 2x4's a few inches above the floor, leaving room under the bucket between the 2x4's for the bulkhead?

Just an idea. May not be workable for your design.

rrog

Veteran
DPunch thanks for that. Using the flat bottom would be a great plus, but I'm height limited already. Using Scrog.

rrog

Veteran
By the way after researching this to an embarrassing level, I have found that more serious players use what Asil recommended than anything else.

This is what I use on all my thru wall fittings for my RDWC.
pvc-fitting-436-mal-adapter-sxmips.jpg

Along with this.
pvc-fitting-435-female-adapter-sxfips.jpg

Then I use two o-rings. I try to get a tight fitting o-ring so it seals around the treads well. Have used this set up many times with no leaks. I also drill the hole for the fittings so that you have to screw them thru the bucket. Hope this helps you out.

Latest posts

Latest posts