What's new

Double sided tape

dddaver

Veteran
Is it okay to use double sided tape to hold LED strip lights onto top of gutted PC tower to grow?

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
lol, Mr. J

All tape dries out, the good ones last longer, Tessa is a good one,
around 30 bucks for a roll.

Mr. J

I'd trust hot glue more than the double sided tape. Like from a hot glue gun. It would still be removable and clean up nicely if you needed to do that.

RB56

Veteran
Mirror or glazing tape is probably the strongest bond available on readily available products. 3M also makes VHB (Very High Bond) adhesive transfer tape. Any of these will hold for years on appropriate substrates.

Bobby Boucher

When you are using VHB, or really any adhesive for that matter, make sure you're applying extra extra extra force, and a bit of warmth doesn't hurt either. However hard you figure your average person presses on a sticker, multiply that by a factor of 10 and you're good to go.

Sounds redundant enough, but .. it's not.

C-clamp that shit on there for a few hours and it'll hold 10 years vs the 10 weeks max you'd get with your typical "stick n' press" approach.

I would also make sure my substrate was cleaned off twice over with isopropyl and give her a once over with the air gun. Burnish the vhb to the top on the pc, remove the backing tape, then roll the led strip onto the exposed vhb.

A proper burnisher and roller are dirt cheap items. Everyone wants to skip out on em, and then every single one of em has to go back for re-visits when their shit falls off the wall. 'Cept for me, of course.

Mr. J

I'd just drill the holes. It'll take 30 seconds and then bolt the bastards on and they'll never fall off.

warpese

Veteran
I use this double-sided thermal tape.
s-l500.jpg

it is very strong, you will no longer detach your strips.
you can trust me, my panel is made with this tape https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=360300
:tiphat:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Due to the heat developed, and the likely need to disperse it, solutions aimed directly at the job seem the only choice. Heatsink plaster and tape, or heat conductive two part epoxy. Many other options will dry out over time, or reduce heat transfer. The right stuff is cheap enough.

For leds, I quite like the look of the 70w $10 panels that run nicely on a regulated 12v supply, giving 30w without heat issues. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIspnsBp3o4

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Due to the heat developed, and the likely need to disperse it, solutions aimed directly at the job seem the only choice. Heatsink plaster and tape, or heat conductive two part epoxy. Many other options will dry out over time, or reduce heat transfer. The right stuff is cheap enough.

For leds, I quite like the look of the 70w $10 panels that run nicely on a regulated 12v supply, giving 30w without heat issues. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIspnsBp3o4