What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dr.Bud for Dummy's

booduh

wondering about the gas exchange in 16oz containers or less. wouldn't larger containers benefit from gas exchange as well?:cathug:

Oh and great summary

D

DU420

Watering:

This “drowning” style of watering is only necessary when using a container thatis16oz or smaller. The benefits from this “ebb & flow” type of watering is it forces bad gases out and ensures all of the soil is used by the plant.

1. Find a container that is slightly larger than your16oz bottle. 2. Place your 16oz bottle into the container. 3. Fill the container with water/nutes until the water level is above the soil, hold down soil if necessary. 4. Continue holding bottle down until you can no longerseebubblesrisingto thesurface(approx. 1-2 minutes under water). 5. Allow the bottle to completelydrain before putting back into your grow space(usually takes 5-10mins).

NOTE 1: This watering method can be very time consuming, I speak from experience. NOTE 2: Each bottle is given onequarter turn when returned to the cab so that all sides can receive light.

When using this watering method how important is the flush at the end of flowering?

growfr

The flush is no as critical as if you were top watering. Most of the accumulated salts are flushed out with your runoff. Remember the doc's soil is amended with organics. In such a small rootspace the nutes in the soil would be used up real fast and deficiencies would show based on the release rates of each of them. By adopting chem / organics.... The organics will continue to nourish your plants after you start your flush. Doc's system uses up the nutes between each feeding.

From personal experience I have gotten away with a one week flush with only a minor decrease in taste and minimal increase in yield.

My only struggle with submerge watering is with fresh clones before they really stretch. I'll do a submerge watering and they'll still be wet at my next watering.

Also, at about week 3 you'll need to replace soil as the perlite will float some of your media away. Just replace with a mix of peat & worm casting. Quick & dirty top dressing

D

DU420

Would this be the same using coco though? Forgot to mention I'm running a 80% coco, 20% perlite mix with dolomite lime, and I'm using canna coco a+b, pk13-14 and rhizotonic.

growfr

DU- to keep the integrity of this summary, I think your questions to adapt the Dr Bud Method are better answered in the original threads.

But to answer your question.... Yes. Its similar to coco. Anti had great success with coco pulling 8g on his cuts at 16 plants per foot.

If you are more concerned about maximum yield per watt than plant #s, this is the path. If you are limited to 6 plants and have no concerns about your power consumption, hang big lights and grow big plants.
The more you learn about Dr Buds pedigree as a grower, the more you'll wonder why his practices are not commonplace. Using this same technique with a 400 watt hid over a 4x4 table, you can pull 8 Oz per week in a perpetual loop. Most people don't harvest a half pound per run.

carrotsyo

Thank you for this thread. I find it invaluable because using the "filter posts by drbud" does not work well through Tor because I'm constantly logged out.

I am going to let my plants dry out well and start using his fertilizer mix. I think I am going to top my plants at the 3rd node and sex them with that method as well.

Cur

I know I am reviving an old thread, and I'm on a new account here so... "Newby!" would not be unwarranted. But...

Has Dr.Bud ever shared his strain? Why is something like this not taking over in the states where weed is legal? This seems like a legitimate homegrow option, bred specifically to produce indoors. What gives?

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
"Chesaw"
was shared with only one person and I'm So glad I did...he now is my "Flame Keeper", as I lost my "Chesaw" mother in a Bad Break-up...I hope someday to get her Back​
I know I am reviving an old thread, and I'm on a new account here so... "Newby!" would not be unwarranted. But...

Has Dr.Bud ever shared his strain? Why is something like this not taking over in the states where weed is legal? This seems like a legitimate homegrow option, bred specifically to produce indoors. What gives?

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
"Chesaw"
was shared with only one person and I'm So glad I did...he now is my "Flame Keeper", as I lost my "Chesaw" mother in a Bad Break-up...I hope someday to get her Back​

What is the make up of your Chesaw, I have been flowering
many crosses and yet to find a good yield to stone ratio.

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
Chesaw is..
She contains....
Haze x NL#5 (Seed Bank 1988)....female was chosen for potency(That Bitch took 21 weeks to finish)
Hash Plant Pure(Seed Bank 1988).....Male with 1/4" nodes and Sisters with a 7 week finish
Jamaica II (89 trip) & III (90 Trip)
M48-Haze x Durban Poison (S.S.S.C.1991)
DJ Shorts Blueberry..... Male added by accident (and it was a good one)
C88 for weight​
What is the make up of your Chesaw, I have been flowering
many crosses and yet to find a good yield to stone ratio.

funnymath

Why is something like this not taking over in the states where weed is legal? This seems like a legitimate homegrow option, bred specifically to produce indoors. What gives?

There are a few reasons. I think the biggest is that in the growing community people are stubborn to accept new ideas. They simplify things and end up just seeing some guy saying he gets over 1gram per watt with a respectable amount of energy used and a very tiny foot print. It's sounds simply too good to be true.

The next biggest thing is plant count. Unless you're in a medical state that allows lots of plants then it's illegal to grow too many. It's simply not worth having more yield to risk getting in trouble. Plus even in illegal states the punishments for more plants is usually significantly higher. For example, Florida less than 25 plants is a felony that can land you 5 years and a 5k fine. But 25 plants or more is 15 years and a 10k fine. Power isn't expensive in some states so it just makes more sense to have bigger lights and bigger plants and get in less trouble if (god forbid) you're caught.

Then there's the time involvement. It's way more convenient to water 4 big pots to run off than to take out tons of little plants and submerge them. Obviously setting up an automated watering system would work the best, but that adds more stuff to screw with on top of maybe not being able to raise the new clones up to limit stretch.

The thing is this method isn't the flat out best way to grow, there is no "best" way. There's only the best for your situation, and for Dr Bud this is the best.

Cur

"Chesaw"

DrBud, one, welcome back! And two, I am sorry to hear about your break-up. To lose your passion and something you've worked so hard over the years for in addition to a love interest is a double-whammy I hope nobody ever has to go through.

I did notice you were doing clones in your perpetual system, but have you ever considered trying to force a hermie and making seeds? Just a thought, and it might show how little I know about genetics, but that way you could spread it around and maybe even find another killer phenotype.

There are a few reasons. I think the biggest is that in the growing community people are stubborn to accept new ideas. They simplify things and end up just seeing some guy saying he gets over 1gram per watt with a respectable amount of energy used and a very tiny foot print. It's sounds simply too good to be true.

The next biggest thing is plant count. Unless you're in a medical state that allows lots of plants then it's illegal to grow too many. It's simply not worth having more yield to risk getting in trouble. Plus even in illegal states the punishments for more plants is usually significantly higher. For example, Florida less than 25 plants is a felony that can land you 5 years and a 5k fine. But 25 plants or more is 15 years and a 10k fine. Power isn't expensive in some states so it just makes more sense to have bigger lights and bigger plants and get in less trouble if (god forbid) you're caught.

Then there's the time involvement. It's way more convenient to water 4 big pots to run off than to take out tons of little plants and submerge them. Obviously setting up an automated watering system would work the best, but that adds more stuff to screw with on top of maybe not being able to raise the new clones up to limit stretch.

The thing is this method isn't the flat out best way to grow, there is no "best" way. There's only the best for your situation, and for Dr Bud this is the best.

I understand that, and they are valid points. But if this can be done in coke bottles, I imagine the plants would be impressive if grown in larger pots, too.

...DrBuds, have you ever tried a single larger plant of Cheesaw?

Glad to see my post spurred some kind of dialogue! :tiphat:

Cur

*Correction--"Chesaw", not Cheesaw. I would edit my post above but it doesn't look like I can do that yet.

Dave0000

schultz 10-15-10 replacement?

schultz 10-15-10 replacement?

I'm out of this stuff and it looks like it's not being sold anymore, outside of ebay etc.. and it's 3 times the price. Any suggestions for a replacement that's around the same 10-15-10 ratio?

hope this is the right place to ask.

TheScrogFrog

I'm out of this stuff and it looks like it's not being sold anymore, outside of ebay etc.. and it's 3 times the price. Any suggestions for a replacement that's around the same 10-15-10 ratio?

hope this is the right place to ask.

maxibloom. it's 5-15-14, can run it in veg and all through flower.