What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grafting?

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
I am going to try another shot at grafting.
Posting this here so I'm committed and cannot get lazy and backout!
What I wanna do is take the 3 gal. rootball I'll have from a Casey Jones I'm gonna harvest this weekend,and graft a few different things on to it,some FMS purple power and maroc,and 1 or 2 other things that I can't remember, then put it outside and hope it EXPLODES with growth! (plus it will be freaky and kinda cool!)
I made one half-assed attempt at this before, and it did not work.
This time I think it will.
I'll get this going over the weekend with pics.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
sunnydog said:
I am going to try another shot at grafting.
Posting this here so I'm committed and cannot get lazy and backout!
What I wanna do is take the 3 gal. rootball I'll have from a Casey Jones I'm gonna harvest this weekend,and graft a few different things on to it,some FMS purple power and maroc,and 1 or 2 other things that I can't remember, then put it outside and hope it EXPLODES with growth! (plus it will be freaky and kinda cool!)
I made one half-assed attempt at this before, and it did not work.
This time I think it will.
I'll get this going over the weekend with pics.
sunnydog

I've done quite a bit of grafting with apple & pear root stock, i.e. hardwoods. It's a very straightforward process for the most part.

You definitely have your work cut out for you attempting to graft softwood plants like cannabis.

I'll be interested to read how your progress is going.

CC

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Clackamas Coot said:
sunnydog

I've done quite a bit of grafting with apple & pear root stock, i.e. hardwoods. It's a very straightforward process for the most part.

You definitely have your work cut out for you attempting to graft softwood plants like cannabis.

I'll be interested to read how your progress is going.

CC
I figured the way herb fixes itself when broken or snapped, it might not be too difficult?

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
sunnydog said:
I figured the way herb fixes itself when broken or snapped, it might not be too difficult?
True - up to a point.

My suggestion is that you do a couple of tests your way and give this one a try as well: For both the root stock (that's the term I'm most familiar with) as well as the branch you wish to graft, choose the 'woodiest' parts on both.

The denser the 'bark' (for lack of the proper terminology) will allow you to make your cuts into the inner part of the plant which is where the 'grafting' will eventually take place.

Sorry for my bad verbage - I know what I mean! LOL

Hopefully it will make sense for you as well.

Cheers!

CC

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
It had occurred to me to try something like this to keep myself under misdemeanor laws, yet, have several varieties available as a mom. I haven't gotten to this stage yet, but I am wondering if approach grafting might be better suited for cannabis?

guest3589

Hi sunnydog,
I found this thread with a search and wanted to let you know I just grafted some female cuts onto some male root stock. When the plants sexed as male I just used my bypass pruners to chop the male off at the base where the stalk is a solid piece. I used a razor to split it open and then cut a wedge into the stem of the female cutting. I jammed the cutting into the slit of the root stalk and used some tape to seal it off.

guest3589

Grafting Attempt

Grafting Attempt

Here are some pics

Last year I got some approach grafts to work but I lost the plant to the borg. :cuss: I will try again to create the ultimate mother with multi strain branches. :muahaha:

Good luck, I think grafting is an untaped resource.

I

igrohydro

Brilliant idea,in theory.
Be exellant,the maintenance of one plant with multiple strains.
Good luck with your expierament!

Last edited:

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
Expertsetup said:
Last year I got some approach grafts to work but I lost the plant to the borg. :cuss: I will try again to create the ultimate mother with multi strain branches. :muahaha:

Good luck, I think grafting is an untaped resource.

I'd say that a variety that was pest, mold, and disease resistant would make for excellent rootstock. But now that I know it can be done, I would be VERY interested to see just how you did it if you wouldn't mind giving a step by step with pic's.

Hmm...and immortality for you in the DIY stickies! :muahaha:

bigbrokush

Sunnydog do you plan on using Grafting clips or a tape? I think that It should be quit easy for you to do and have fun with

E

EatShitake

Veddy veddy interesting! Might be another use for male rootstock instead of just culling/collecting pollen.

:lurk:

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
bigbrokush said:
Sunnydog do you plan on using Grafting clips or a tape? I think that It should be quit easy for you to do and have fun with
I bought some grafting wax.Made in Switzerland.
Twenty bucks for a pound.
I'll be doing this early this week.......Girls aren't quite done yet.

SweetNightmare

I saw some grafting goo at osh today said it was for trees and shit that are 1/2" thick already though so I didn't get it... might be worth the try? $8 bucks for a jar...

Latest posts

Latest posts