What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sterile Male

SeedyPast

Tried to post this in Breeder's Lab, but apparently I lack privileges?

Here's a male of TopDawg's African Silk
[Nigerian Silk x African Haze (Malawa x JJ's Nigerian)]

Apparently healthy, and producing flowers that look fine until they open. Have yet to find a trace of pollen from any of them. I've heard of sterile males before, and I'm guessing there's probably no hope of viable pollen from this plant.

If there's a way to kick start this fellow into gear, I'd like to hear about it. Any ideas, or is he a genetic dead end?

EastFortRock

I have had this exact same problem. Chose the male with the best structure and smell, threw away all other males, and the one I kept looked like yours - no pollen. Wonder how common that is? I just tossed it and hoped for better luck next time.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sticky pollen maybe?
Have either of you attempted drying some flowers to see if any dust falls off of them?

Sam Skunkman would be interested in true sterile males as well. He may be able to give some helpful knowledge on this subject.

corky1968

Veteran
I have had this exact same problem. Chose the male with the best structure and smell, threw away all other males, and the one I kept looked like yours - no pollen. Wonder how common that is? I just tossed it and hoped for better luck next time.

That's why you never throw any males away until the one you really want starts
shedding pollen. Somehow I think you'll never make that mistake again though.

EastFortRock

I'm in Oregon and trying to keep things within the legal limit. If I try to make seeds again, to hell with the legal limit. Going to have a few males.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I recall somebody saying that crushing the pollen sacks helps dislodge the pollen if nothing releases normally. Think it was Skunkman.

SeedyPast

This guy is definitely just shooting blanks. I've hand picked flowers and dried and crushed them. I've leaned him over a piece of wax paper overnight indoors (my usual method for collecting pollen). Nothing

It's a shame, cause he's a looker, even under-potted to keep him small

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
First time I have ever seen it.. or that I noticed or remember....
And I've been growing outdoors for a very long time....

A beautiful male plant, separated from the girls in early June, and moved with the other guys over to the "outdoors boys club",
150 yards downwind thru the woods from the girls hideout..

He is a Skunk1 X Haze plant with great structure, healthy and vigorous.

The pollen sacs opened up and I went out with 14 inch by 16 inch mirror, which I use for my collections.
Pollen sacks fell all over the glass but not a single grain of pollen that I could see..
There wasn't even any evidence of pollen on any leaves below the flowers...

I was really looking forward to collecting pollen from this one...
Oh well, plenty of other studs of different varieties already shedding the yellow dust which I have been collecting...

Attachments

• sterile Skunk1 X Haze.jpg
    sterile Skunk1 X Haze.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 19

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
I recall somebody saying that crushing the pollen sacks helps dislodge the pollen if nothing releases normally. Think it was Skunkman.

G `day MJP

He was talking about reversed females in that case .
Because reversed Fems have such a tight flower structure some times the flowers need to be pulled apart to allow the pollen to fall .

I have had 1 sterile / no pollen male .
A G13 / Haze C . I thought I could be Soma Version -II use a G13 Haze male to conquer the world . Problem was he had no pollen .
Back to the drawing board . lol .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Some times they have pollen but are functionally sterile, meaning the pollen is sticky or will not dehiscence, or drop the pollen. Try using a q-tip and they will often work.

-SamS

Last edited:

D3pthCharg3

Some times they have pollen but are functionally sterile, meaning the pollen is sticky or will not dehiscence, or drop the pollen. Try using a q-tip and they will often work.

-SamS

I'm pretty sure I have a sterile male too. Such a shame as I got rid of the other males. I crushed, shook, even looked into the pods under magnification and there is just no visible pollen there...

Sam..If you dont mind can you elaborate on your "Q-tip technique" please ?

geneva_sativa

First time I have ever seen it.. or that I noticed or remember....
And I've been growing outdoors for a very long time....

A beautiful male plant, separated from the girls in early June, and moved with the other guys over to the "outdoors boys club",
150 yards downwind thru the woods from the girls hideout..

He is a Skunk1 X Haze plant with great structure, healthy and vigorous.

The pollen sacs opened up and I went out with 14 inch by 16 inch mirror, which I use for my collections.
Pollen sacks fell all over the glass but not a single grain of pollen that I could see..
There wasn't even any evidence of pollen on any leaves below the flowers...

I was really looking forward to collecting pollen from this one...
Oh well, plenty of other studs of different varieties already shedding the yellow dust which I have been collecting...

same here,,, wtf is going on ?

Latest posts

Latest posts