Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Harvesting & Processing > Long term storage -vacuum sealed jars in the freezer?

Thread Title Search
Long term storage -vacuum sealed jars in the freezer? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-04-2017, 09:37 AM #1
getbuck

getbuck will become famous soon enoughgetbuck will become famous soon enough
Long term storage -vacuum sealed jars in the freezer?

There is some talk about long term storage but nothing recent so I'd like to hear some recent experiences. How do you store your dope long term? Whats to longest you've been able to keep your stash decent?

I'm not what you'd call a regular smoker. I tend to smoke for a couple of weeks then take some weeks/months off. I grow for personal use only, and don't have a setup where I can grow continuously all year round, so my problem is how to store weed for the long term. I'm currently at the end of a cycle that will probably yield me an amount lasting several years with my smoking frequency.

I have a batch currently one year old thats in mason jars in a chest freezer. So far the potency / flavour has not been diminished at least to my palate.

I've been looking at vacuum sealed food bags but the idea of crushing my stash scares me. How does this idea sound to you guys: Weed in mason jars, a few holes poked at the lid, then sealing the whole jar in a plastic vacuum bag (or two) and throwing the jar in the freezer?

Logic here is that the weed wont get crushed inside the jar, and the holes will able the air to get sucked out completely, resulting in a very tight vacuum seal.

I know I can't be the only one who has the need to store weed for long periods of time for personal use!
getbuck is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:49 AM #2
getbuck

I'm also considering getting some stand-up mylar bags, putting the mason jars in them (with holes in the lids) and dumping some oxygen absorbers + heat sealing the bag. Apparently the oxygen absorbers take much more oxygen out of the bag than using a vacuum sealing machine like a foodsealer etc...
getbuck is offline Quote

Old 04-04-2017, 02:24 PM #3
Swamp Thang

Swamp Thang is just really niceSwamp Thang is just really niceSwamp Thang is just really niceSwamp Thang is just really niceSwamp Thang is just really niceSwamp Thang is just really niceSwamp Thang is just really niceSwamp Thang is just really niceSwamp Thang is just really nice
Getbuck vacuum bags will store your weed nice and fresh, and probably the stash will last years in the freezer in vacuum bags.

No need to worry about crushing the buds, because just below this new thread of yours is a long running discussion about the mind-blowing benefits of allowing slightly damp, COMPRESSED weed to ferment in vacuum bags.

I strongly urge you to read Tangwena's thread on Malawiaan cob making, so as to allay your concerns about compressing the weed for storage. Even if you compress perfectly dry weed, to ensure there is NO fermentation, your stash will emerge from the freezer with some of the most fragrant aroma you can imagine, with potency boosted as well.
Swamp Thang is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:14 AM #4
getbuck

Not sure if i'm comfortable in wrapping my stuff in plastic... theres the poisonous shit in plastic leeching into my medicine fear in my head...
getbuck is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:44 PM #5
Swamp Thang

Swamp Thang is just really niceSwamp Thang is just really niceSwamp Thang is just really niceSwamp Thang is just really niceSwamp Thang is just really niceSwamp Thang is just really niceSwamp Thang is just really niceSwamp Thang is just really niceSwamp Thang is just really nice
Dang, I wish you hadn't mentioned that leeching issue with plastics, because in reality there is no proof that this plastic method is safe for stash storage.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:26 AM #6
Dropped Cat
Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch

Dropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant future
Plastics no bueno for long term storage of items meant
for human consumption, lots of data available to confirm this.

i keep my buds/trim, and food items, long term in glass
or steel in the freezer.

It's my body, and as much as I try to mess it it up with my
bad habits, I learned that passive introduction of harmful
chemicals is a Bozo no-no.

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:24 AM #7
Swamp Thang

Looking up the safety aspects of food-saver vacuum bags, I stumbled on this somewhat reassuring article.

https://www.yourdoctorsorders.com/201...-and-plastics/

https://www.foodsaver.com/service-and...tions-faq.html

Old 04-21-2017, 03:22 AM #8
OlOneLung

OlOneLung will become famous soon enough
You can vacuum jars, you just need the right attachment for your food saver.
OlOneLung is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:57 AM #9
brown_thumb

brown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant future
^^^ Doesn't that require special lids too?
brown_thumb is offline Quote

Old 04-26-2017, 09:23 AM #10
getbuck

I recently read a few studies citing that even the BPA free plastics leach nasty chemicals, some bpa/phalate-free ones even worse than "regular" plastics... Not going to risk it. My harvest was good and is now in paper bags after being hung for a few days. Going to stick them in the fridge for a freezer-cure (see the topic on this subforum, awesome stuff) and then to mason jars in the freezer for long term storage unless I come across something more permanent...
getbuck is offline Quote