What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Morel Mania

Ncogneato

It's that time of year again! We can watch the "morel sightings" map and see the wave of morels rising up through North America from the deep south up through Canada. I get a little morel crazy and love every bit of it! From hiking through the woods, the "find", the delicious reward and sharing with those who are unable to find their own. I will start hitting the timber next week in my area. It is turning out to be an early season but that's just fine by me.

Where are all of my fellow morel mad hatters out there? Any luck yet?

Ncogneato

Hell yeah! It looks like an early season this year but I bet it's going to be a good one! Post up your 2015 season pics as you forage this year and I will do the same. Obviously don't give specific locations but general area of the country may be helpful to keep track of where the shrooms are. Good luck to all my fellow fungi hunters this year. Be safe and send me your surplus. Lol

Ncogneato

The west coast is hot and the midwest is warming up now. Heading out tomorrow for the early season greys. Wish me luck!

Is there really only 1 other morel nut here? Hard to beleive. I love getting into the woods early. It's a great way to locate new geurilla sites and get a feel for human traffic (other hunters). If you plant about a week or two after shrooms are gone it works out well. You have a good excuse to be there (morels) and most people would think you were just an inexperienced forager out too late.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
they pop up here by this time, but I don't have my hunting license yet. I normally find mine while turkey hunting...had several showers, good temps, ought to be out there...dammit!:)

Sisu

Veteran
Was out today hiking and in good spots but did not see any. I have a couple other places that usually pay off though.

Ncogneato

Depending on your location it's still pretty early. I am hitting the woods this weekend and I am hoping for bumper crops over the next month or so. We'll see. Good Luck!

armedoldhippy

Veteran
SCORED! found 11 in my most dependable spot. nothing anywhere else... delicious! sauteed them in butter, had eggs with them...:tiphat:

vostok

Veteran
234px-Morchella_conica_1_beentree.jpg

I've been trying without success to grow under my T8's ...
but strawberries in mid winter did very well indeed ...
very strange how I can win big with some plants and loose with others ..

MIMedHead

I want to find some morels but have no idea where to look. I hunt and fish but I want to forage for Morels. I live in MI and it's huge I see pictures of people with pounds and pounds of morels. Any tips you could give beside getting out there.

Ncogneato

I want to find some morels but have no idea where to look. I hunt and fish but I want to forage for Morels. I live in MI and it's huge I see pictures of people with pounds and pounds of morels. Any tips you could give beside getting out there.

Find your local morel forums and message boards for daily updates in your area. When you start seeing your neighbors posting up their finds, that's the time to get out to the woods. There are many places to hunt. Local and state parks and forests, along train tracks, near lakes and marshes, farmer Joe's wooded creek line (with his permission, of course) and local river valleys. Morels can grow anywhere. Things I look for are:
Moisture. The wetter the better.
Dead and dying trees. Dead elm trees seem to produce well, however, I have found them under many types of trees.
Don't give up. I have hiked for hours and sometimes days before finding a single mushroom. When you finally stumble on that big patch of beautiful fungi ten miles deep in the woods it makes it all worth it. Trust me.

Good luck!

armedoldhippy

Veteran

when you finally spot one, don't move. stand there and look REALLY close at the ground all around you. you'll probably be about to step on one you did not see yet. nearly all of mine have been on fairly steep slopes (30 to 55 degrees) and I have NEVER seen one looking downhill. for some reason, I have only spotted them looking uphill or sidehill. maybe because of the way they come out from under/through the leaves? dunno...:chin: these creamy-white ones literally glowed once the leaves got good and wet...

MIMedHead

when you finally spot one, don't move. stand there and look REALLY close at the ground all around you. you'll probably be about to step on one you did not see yet. nearly all of mine have been on fairly steep slopes (30 to 55 degrees) and I have NEVER seen one looking downhill. for some reason, I have only spotted them looking uphill or sidehill. maybe because of the way they come out from under/through the leaves? dunno...:chin: these creamy-white ones literally glowed once the leaves got good and wet...

Thanks for the tips

dickcorn

Got 3-4 pounds little grays Sunday. Ate them tonight and already stuffed to point of vomit off them... So fucking good...