What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY Aero Cloner the EZ-Cloner Replica in 10 Easy Steps!

hey i love this new guy, works great but what is the best way to seal the bucket? mostly where the cord comes out. i am thinking of using some sort of caulk or glue what do you think?

G

need help

need help

I built a cloner and it runs fine but my cuts are limp and leafs dont look healthy and when i mean healthy like up in the air going to the lite they look droopy and ideas... :spank: i canty figure what it is so will take pics tonite cuts only in there 2-3 days now.Any help is much appreciated. :joint:

Endo

IcMag Resident Comic Relief
Veteran
would a 200gph pump work for a smaller setup. im talking much smaller, maybe like 12-15 spots in like a 3 gal tub? i have it left over from the drip system i have decided not to use anymore. was thinking maybe a 3 gal bucket with the pump on the bottom and like 4-5 sprayers.

this is the pump i have.
http://www.stealthhydroponics.com/p...c=32&jssCart=806721bd5e3714b2d9c5ddd8382094c8

rio_water_pump_normal.jpg

Last edited:

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
I think you'd really have to give it a shot to know. You want enough pressure to really create mist from the sprayers. Since you already have the pump, you're looking at less than 5 bucks to find out. (some PVC and spray heads)

Endo

Veteran
will simple brass ones work?.. i think homedepot has them. also it says for use with 1/2 barb and riser attachment, when it connects to the irrigation hub, would that mean that i would use 1/2 in pvc?

Last edited:

Endo

Veteran
just put it together last night.. just waiting on misters to come in.
need opinions on height... the lower one is 6.5 in below the lid the other one is about 4 in or so. next ? is that if i made a lid with 25 holes would that be too many you think?

Last edited:
G

Killer setup Endo

Very nice job on your unit. I'm thinking about building a few around this size. Thinking about maybe a 30 site unit. Got to find a container that i like and the right size. Love your unit, nice and simple and great job.
Take care,
BG

Endo

Veteran
thanks bg, i hope i can find another top so i can do a 25 or 36 site, was thinkin 16 at first but then i realized i could fit a few more in here, mister heads should come today so we will see how it works.

should i got with 5 sprayers or you guys think 4 will be enough... i mean its a small unit. im thinking 4 that way if 1 breaks i have a spare.

712-large.jpg

those are the ones i ended up getting
rain drip low volume rotary sprinklers. 25 gph x 4 is 200 exactly what my pump is.... woohooo!! full circle diameter up to 20 ft.

Last edited:
G

Here's my last design. Worked pretty well and I used the 360 degree mister's like in the Ez Cloner machine.

63Aero_8-4.JPG

63NYCD_Top_8-4.JPG

63NYCD_Roots_8-2.JPG

This was my last unit. I to used a Rio pump and I think it was the next one above the one your using. I also cut out the bottom of these net basket because the roots would get all caught up in the spaces.

I think it doesn't matter to much about which mister your using. As long as it mist and covers most of the area's. I think your going to be fine and get some good roots. It's pretty hard to mess things up with these units. Most of the time. It's either to hot water, because of a pump that is to large. To much water that causes rot or not enough water misting.
Good luck,
BG

Endo

Veteran
is there any good way to check for dead spots? i ended up putting 5 sprinkler heads in and im thinking i should only have put in 4 gonna have to plug up that one hole, the 200gph pump is a little bit weak with 5 sprayers but i think with 4 it will do ok. i might in the future go with something a tad bigger. also with these smaller set ups it looks like you have to get the sprayers a little closer to the top of th bucket as they sprayers dont give the height i thought they would. just kinda worried about coverage area.

Endo

Veteran
? if i have a 660gph pump going 2 5 of the heads that only need 25-30 gph is that going to break them?
or just make them spin really fast?

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
:rasta:

Endo, here are the two methods I used to check for full coverage....

1) Outdoor Check
Take the unit outside and let her run with the top off.
You'll see exactly what's going on.

2) Indoor Check
Grab an old poster out of someone's garbage.
Take the clear plastic cover from it and place it on your unit instead of your top.
It will fog up in just a second, but you'll see the covrage on the underside perfectly.

Good luck :wave:

Last edited:

Endo

Veteran
thanks man... im pretty sure im getting good coverage now.. even with the \pump running at shit capasity... very weak the heads are barley spinning, i ordered a new pump yesterday should be here in a few days.. but this will do for now.. they are doing well and i cant wait to see what a 660gph pump can do. got it for only 30 bucks.

G

Nice shot pipedream. Ya, you can't really beat taking the unit outside and turning it on. The best way to see the spray pattern and coverage for sure. Nice unit and picture.
Take care,
BG

Hey Endo, good luck with that new pump. I think you should be good to go. Let us know how it works out.
Later,
BG

IBsmokin

great thread, going to build one myself.

anyways I see a few people asking about what shoudl they add in their water to help root, I think the absolute stuff to use is Willow bark.

go harvest some willow branchs and cut them into into 2 to 4 inch pieces, you want willow branchs that are 1/2 to 1 inch in diameter, you then take a knife and make slashes in each piece, then fill a 10 gallon garbage pale half full with these willow branch pieces and then fill it up with water, let the branches soak for at least a few days, a week is ideal then remove all the willow branches and after that you then just use this water, it is the absolute best all natural organic rooting formula you can find.

you can go small using a 5 gallon bucket, if you want less water but same principle.

Last edited:

Endo

Veteran
so some good news and some bad news:
i come home last night and the water was like bathwater in my setup, but no signs of root root, that was good. i tossed a frozen waterbottle in there and this morning the water temp was much better.

part 2, while checking the water temp, the sprayers were still not spraying properly and i had decided to reduce the number of sprayers.. i mean come on its a freakin 8 in x8 in bucket.. how many could i need???? so i made it into an I shape with only 2 sprayers, something was still not right.. so i moved took out the pump unplugged it and put it back in, checked all the lines for cloggs and whatnot. blah blah blah.. then by accident i pulled the adaptor for the lines out of the pump.

WATER>>>>> everywhere!!! turns out, in my OCD of making sure everything fit tight, i had pushed the adaptor in too far and it was partially blocking the output from the pump itself. DUH!!! (slaps forehead with palm multiple times). so to make a long story longer, the pump works very well now, and i left it with just 2 heads on it cause its getting very good coverage all the way around.. just ask my pant legs that were soaked with water!!

so now for the bad news.. i just spent 40 bucks on the 660 pump that i didnt have to. any suggestions i can use the pump for.. i have a 15 gal dwc was wondering if having moving water in the tub would prevent some of these algea problems i seem to be plagued with.??? i was thinking to make a much bigger cloner unit.. but i dont need all those cuttings, and i dont have the room for it. also if i wanted to flower rooted cuttings,less than a week vegg time in sog style, what would be the ideal container size, 1 gal? half gal? i have to get something going b4 i run out of bud, the clock is tickin!!!!

thanks all

ENdo

gmanwho

Veteran
endo, another thing to take into effect is the mag drive pumps have very little pressure usually. yes they can move 660 gallons per hour, but the pressure is weak. Usually only around 5-8 psi. As your tap house water runs 35+ depending on where you live.

so those misters may not be the best to start with, they may require higher psi to work properly. Maybe the 660 will work better. But maybe the 660 will heat the shit out of that water in that small bucket as well, causing more problems.

When not knowing all the details, the cloner could work great, take forever to root, or completely fail. the finer the mist the better IMO.

thats a small bucket. For the hell of it, pull 2 of the misters out, so running only 2 misters total. Plug the empty holes with hot glue or nails screws or whatever you can find. then see how it runs. Im betting 2 misters in that bucket could give you enough coverage if properly placed within and increase the pressure to create a nice light mist you are looking for.

Maybe even run 1 mister. get a pvc cap and pop a mister in the middle of it, and cap the pipe coming from the pump. I would think that may be a possibility.

Also very important is to check the openings of your misters often, they can clog. i ended up putting a 200 micron filter on my pump pick up. Now it usually runs 2-3 weeks before i clean the misters.

Also pvc debri can block the misters very easily, i learned to clean the hell out of the pvc after every cut or hole drilled.

Just some 2 cents......

Best of luck

B-safe

Latest posts

Latest posts