What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Got CARDED buying a BIC lighter!!!

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
..... at a drugstore in the USA!!!

Apparently you have to show your Driver's License to buy anything tobacco related now to prove you're over 18 (and I'm well over 18 :D).

...... and they don't just look at the license, they swipe it too for compliance, grrrr.

Has anyone else experienced this totally unwarranted INVASION of PRIVACY????:smoky:

What is the world coming to?????:fsu::cry:

Grass Lands

Veteran
yeppers just went to a drug store (rite aide) to get some brews...and they asked the wife for her ID and swiped it before I could say something...I told her to tell them no next time and just show her ID and if that is not sufficient then we will take our dollars elsewhere.

Last edited:

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
One of the convenience chains around here swipes drivers licenses for tobacco and alcohol purchases.....somehow the barcode on the back of mine took a beating and will not read anymore :dunno: Hate when that happens :biggrin:

Just saying! They have to punch my birthdate in manually now.

Rob547

East Coast Grower
Veteran
Up where I live a bunch of towns just changed the age from 18 -21.... have to card everyone.. sucks for those kids.

also no blunts/wraps etc can be sold for less than $2.50 lol, used to get small Games for 84 cents!

Snow Crash

Veteran
It is fire season... I think they really just want to keep pyrotechnic teens from ruining their lives.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Well I'd like to know which agency they're reporting to 'cause if they match up the folks who bought tobacco AND lighters,
I'd fall into the group that buys lots of lighters but never any tobacco!:kos:

..... am I going to have to go back to matches to keep from being profiled?:hide:

Agaricus

i order all my tabacco online and spares me any trouble...
Careful, a few years ago my boss got popped for a few grand in taxes 'cause his wife bought her cigs on line to save money. They can track that stuff.

And yes, Rite Aid carded me (new corporate policy) though I'm social security age.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Did you guys see the article yesterday that some hospitals and health insurance companies were starting to track purchases of "unhealthy" food and snack items, and then contact the person if it became a "trend"?

Midnite Toker

Veteran
When a crime is committed involving a bic lighter the authorities simply need to search the data base.....ba-da-bing, ba-da-boom, crime solved.......

Bulldog420

Veteran
It is fire season... I think they really just want to keep pyrotechnic teens from ruining their lives.

Wow, spread that fear man. Never waste a good crisis huh?

Rives - I did see that Rives, been saying it for years. Don't use a club card or credit card when buying goods. Cash is king, everything else they can track. Did you see who was collecting this data? Hospitals. Do you think that might have an influence on getting cheaper insurance? Aren't we all glad the feds took over med care also? "I noticed you didn't go to the gym this week, guess your rates are going up now."

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
No store will be scanning my driver's licence or getting my phone number, for me to purchase something from them..

I'll let them know they just lost another customer, and take my business elsewhere..

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Did you guys see the article yesterday that some hospitals and health insurance companies were starting to track purchases of "unhealthy" food and snack items, and then contact the person if it became a "trend"?

Ding, ding, ding...We have a winner-
(Copied and pasted from Yahoo)

Big data, big brother and now big doctor

By Bernice Napach 9 hours ago Daily Ticker

Big data is even bigger than you think. Hospital organizations are now using personal data on current and prospective patients to market their services. So if your credit card transactions reveal a predilection for fast food or cigarettes, you may be hearing from your healthcare provider.
Bloomberg reports that two major nonprofit hospital organizations -- Carolinas HealthCare System and University of Pittsburgh Medical Center -- are adopting such programs.
Carolinas HealthCare System, which operates more than 900 facilities including hospitals, nursing homes and physician offices, is collecting data on individuals' credit card transactions, and then feeding that into predictive models to score an individual's health care risks. It plans to pass that information on to doctors and nurses so they can contact high-risk patients before they get sick.
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, which has more than 20 hospitals in the Keystone state, is collecting demographic and household data -- not credit card information -- also for pre-emptive purposes. Its chief analytics officer told Bloomberg it's using data to identify high-risk patients and their access to health care providers. If they don't have that access, they're more likely to use the emergency room when they're sick, which is much more expensive than a doctor's visit.
"It's just creepy," says Lauren Lyster of The Daily Ticker. "It's an invasion of privacy."
Yahoo Finance Editor-in-Chief Aaron Task notes that we already have very little privacy.
"All the data of everything you're doing is known to marketers out there. Wouldn't you rather your doctors know that as well?" he asks.
That information could potentially lead to better and more preventative care such as discovering a cancer in its early stages, says Task.
But Lyster says a patient should be told about the data collection and have the right to opt out.
"That's a patient's right," she argues.
Ironically, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (known as Obamacare), may be providing the incentive for health care organizations to access personal data. The law links payments to quality of care. Hospitals that are deemed to re-admit "excessive" numbers of medicare patients within 30 days, for example, face penalties equal to 1%-3% of its Medicare reimbursement.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
No store will be scanning my driver's licence or getting my phone number, for me to purchase something from them..

I'll let them know they just lost another customer, and take my business elsewhere..

That's what I do too. I always tell them that no one in their right mind would card someone who looks like me, that I am actually older than all the employees in the store, and that no, I will not be going back to my car to get my ID. I always just tell them that it's insulting, and they just lost a customer. If they try to give me the "most people are flattered when asked for their ID," I respond with "Yeah those people are called women." And if it's a dude who is saying that to me, I will say "Bye, ma'am."

I didn't mind it in my 20s when I did still look very young. But for Christ sake, I have a receding hairline, gray hair in my beard, and crows feet like there's no tomorrow. Not putting up with it. Fuck anyone who makes blanket business decisions like that. How about only hiring people who aren't idiots, who can tell who's older than they are.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
As long as we don't have to get numbered tattoos on our forearms.

The tech used to accumulate a profile is staggering. Mostly anonymous,
however, med records, new cars, licensing info, banking and cell use are
on an individual basis. And all your web traffic too, natch.

There is a huge financial stake in this info, so its not going away anytime soon.

Obey.

Latest posts

Latest posts