What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Round Infinity

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Avi...whatcha use for cloner?

have the neoprene collars, and 180 degree sprayers, just need a pump and a tote to build a aerocloner.
lately i've been using just em1, quantum lite & VSC in the cloner....
picture.php

^^ decent results, could be getting better success ratios, but i think it's heavily dependent on the strain - certain ones like GlueBreath, Silver Grapefruit MCD, Khalisi x SourBubble (KSB), and BBx NL5 root like champs, big thick roots like this:
picture.php

then others just pop a few roots, take longer, yellow quicker: ogkb2.0 being the worst culprit.... the mom (source of clones at least) is happy and healthy.... just as happy as the GB, SG, and KSB.

altho once clones root i've noticed they yellow immediatley (i assume because there is no actual available nutrients, nitrogen primarily, to keep them green). this is the only instance when i'm tempted to use salts again. a lil maxigro/bloom powder in that aero cloner rez would green them up quickly im sure. i'm curious if a "veg" fermented plant extract would do the same....
as soon as clones hit the soil they green up... no worres there generally

one concern i had was with using my cloner water on plants... should be no problem with that, right???
the cloner is on 15 minutes off 15 mintues cycle, been on 2 weeks now with nothing but em1, quantum lite & vsc and a teeny tiny half a tablespoon of modern microbes....
20 or more gallons in there, i hate to throw it out ( on compost pile at least) if i can use it on plants.

in addition to the "benefits of a healthy phyllosphere" this question of "what's organic that i can put in my cloner to keep clones green?" has been on my mind a lot lately as the clones are rooting and simultaneously yellowing.... perhaps a foliar feed or something? some alfalfa tea in the reservoir? anyone tried any of this or have a better organic option ? i'm all ears :D

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What light are you using?

4ft shop lite, t12.
i've used the "same" (not this exact, one, but very similar) in the past... with some lucas formula and clonex in there & iirc they stayed green. the lite is a little closer than usual (about 9 inches), it's all under a long table with plants on top it.
i'm about to replace it with a t5 setup, and remove the cloner for now, and veg some plants in that space. still want to work this out in my head so when the cloner is set back up i have a gameplan... preferably a non-chem solution. if nothing else i'll put a little bit of FPE in there, some fan leaf bokashi juice or something

VortexPower420

Veteran
I would suggest aloe.and Ful power foliar.

I don't know how often you change ypumrez but maybe some aloe in the cloner would help with that.

I use plugs and have never had better clones fhw N with aloe.

Moisture and temp are everything to get the roots to pop but the aloe keps them green and healthy the whole course. Sometimes it is 10 days before I get anything and they are as green as the day they went in.

Would it be better to pull the clones just as they root and fill the site with a blank?

Just some thoughts

Digging the roots

milkyjoe

Veteran
You could actually foliar feed the cuts that yellow quick in the cloner. N, Mg, P and Ca...the usual suspects

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Miles; I don't know if it will work for you but I had to store clones for 4 weeks in preparation for spring. We had them in jiffy pellets though. They were placed in transplant trays and ACT about 1/4 inch deep was maintained in the trays. The trays were tipped back and forth several times per day and the ACT was replaced every 3 to 4 days.

Very labor intensive with 5000 cuttings. We had some roots close to 2 feet long. A better way may be to aerate the ACT in the trays (or whathaveyou ) Just an idea; not the best.

I would think a plant nutrient tea would be better than FPE.

You don't like pill/sow bugs?

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Miles; I don't know if it will work for you but I had to store clones for 4 weeks in preparation for spring. We had them in jiffy pellets though. They were placed in transplant trays and ACT about 1/4 inch deep was maintained in the trays. The trays were tipped back and forth several times per day and the ACT was replaced every 3 to 4 days.

Very labor intensive with 5000 cuttings. We had some roots close to 2 feet long. A better way may be to aerate the ACT in the trays (or whathaveyou ) Just an idea; not the best.

I would think a plant nutrient tea would be better than FPE.

You don't like pill/sow bugs?

thanks for the advice! since im taking the cloner down im sure there will be trays and domes coming back out, i simply CAN'T stop cloning :D also have seeds to get poppin'
in the past i've done jify pellets on a bed of perlite with water up to the pellets, roots didn't mind growing straight into the mix cuz i guess the perlite holds air down underwater. i had pretty good results like that.
that's kind of a ghetto aeration, right?
nowadays i might try rice hulls with a lil kashi mixed in as the bedding instead of perlite.

also, by "plant nutrient tea" you mean just a soak on the plant material? like some kelp and alfalfa in a bucket of (dechlor) water for a day or 2, strain it and put some in the cloner as if it were and FPE (maybe higher concentration than FPE).

Pill bugs; it's not that i don't like them... im fine with them, have seen some groups of them in the soil as i transplant (left them alone), see them chilling on the soil all the time. In this case the pill bugs were innocent bystander victims (collateral damage for sure), i saw them immediately react to the DE when it was applied, along with the fliers. hope it doesn't hurt my worms.

You could actually foliar feed the cuts that yellow quick in the cloner. N, Mg, P and Ca...the usual suspects

good advice, thanks mj!
once again, the nutrient tea of alfalfa & kelp? perhaps some kmag dilluted in water? ( too much?)

I would suggest aloe.and Ful power foliar.

I don't know how often you change ypumrez but maybe some aloe in the cloner would help with that.

I use plugs and have never had better clones fhw N with aloe.

Moisture and temp are everything to get the roots to pop but the aloe keps them green and healthy the whole course. Sometimes it is 10 days before I get anything and they are as green as the day they went in.

Would it be better to pull the clones just as they root and fill the site with a blank?

Just some thoughts

Digging the roots

thanks for the advice VP420!
i used aloe in the cutting process, as a dip for the clones, and use fresh aloe regularly, next time i'll strain some and either put it in the rez or foliar feed it, or both. might even grab some concentrate powder.

i dont empty cloner rez during the cloning process, only inbetween rounds... sometimes i dont even do it inbetween rounds, to be totally honest about my laziness.... especially when it works out.

i feel like i have no problem getting them to root, it's staying healthy enough to establish in soil once they are rooted... or just higher success rates. often i'll put 2 (or more) cuts per neoprene cell.

fulvic and a bit of potash works in my cloner.
thanks trich!
so... like some fulpower fulvic and potash from what source?

thanks for everyone chiming in here! i'm pretty thankful to have a crew of heads not only on icmag, but in my thread specifically posting and helping. Big thanks yall, i don't need to list names :dance013:
i know i ask alot of questions, thanks for accommodating, i'm trying to get a good grasp.
:thank you:

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran

I get great results doing this, lately coconut water... 1/4 cup per gallon.

idk why i aint seen this thread yet Avi but im here now heh!

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes just soaked stirred plant tea - e.g. alfalfa-kelp-molasses. I usually dilute it by half.
When running the cuttings for weeks after rooting the domes were no longer used. I always kick myself for not taking photos. 50 foot long counters with 4 tube fluorescents solid, end to end and 24 inch roots hanging off cuttings.

milkyjoe

Veteran
Did those roots go through any shock going into dirt? Seems like they would have to learn a new way to eat

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Did those roots go through any shock going into dirt? Seems like they would have to learn a new way to eat

not typically, usually they show signs of new grown a few days after going into soil... some tank and don't make it but generally if they have good roots going into the soil they make it.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I fed a corn sprouted seed tea tonight:
picture.php

^^ ain't that pretty?
along with the corn sst I also gave some cytoplus, and some of my solid state fermentation in the mix, plus some VAM and modern microbes

picture.php

^^ long view down the 2kw hps tent with GG4 closest, then ground pounder purps, then glue breath in the far back, with some smaller plants on the right side, all reaching up into the net now... canopy is as even as i can get it this round.

picture.php

^ OGKB2.0 under the net in CMH lite. in a tent with 2x 600w HPS and one 315w CMH

album.php

Khalisi x sour bubble ^^

picture.php

^^ Catpiss x moontang

Twisted pleasur

Veteran
4ft shop lite, t12.
i've used the "same" (not this exact, one, but very similar) in the past... with some lucas formula and clonex in there & iirc they stayed green. the lite is a little closer than usual (about 9 inches), it's all under a long table with plants on top it.
i'm about to replace it with a t5 setup, and remove the cloner for now, and veg some plants in that space. still want to work this out in my head so when the cloner is set back up i have a gameplan... preferably a non-chem solution. if nothing else i'll put a little bit of FPE in there, some fan leaf bokashi juice or something

nice.. I love any type of floor for the job. Ive just found any time my clones do not look as nice as the day they were cut off the mom is because of too intense of light. You can root plants in plain water if the light is soft enough. Im positive if you back that light away some you will more happy. But it seems you already know this and perhaps being under the table you have the light as far away as possible already. Anyway... Nice roots and love all this formation stuff...

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
something that's made all the diff int he health and longevity of my snips has been putting them in an aloe, silica, and fulvic solution for a 6--12 hour period after i take the cuttings but before they go into plugs.

i can echo the light intensity suggestions. for a while i was getting yellowing sadness on the leading growth but the cuts would still root. moving the (weak ass 2 x 14w t5) lamp several inches further than i had it solved that problem. they stay green now and root better too.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks y'all!
i've pulled the t12 as far away as i can, but next time i could turn off one of the 2 bulbs in there to give less light.... also i'll try giving them a longer soak in aloe silica fulvic next time.

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
I have my cuttings under a small 15W 2ft that is several years old. Works great as long as the cuttings aren't more than a few inches away.

When i'm doing cuttings they get a short drop into an aloe filet before going into soil and that has helped survival rates quite a bit. That goopy gelatinous stuff works wonders. :D

Twisted pleasur

Veteran
Ya sounds nice guys... once you have had them just as healthy and happy as the day you cut them you won't settle for less. Perfection is attainable it sounds like heady has seen it as well.

Ive never tried any other of those things. Will have to try it out. I using rooting gel I always worry about getting it on me. It would be nice to using something less harmful. what is the ratio on the aloe,fluvial and sil? If you dont mind me asking. How long can you mix it and use it?

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
i have glimpsed it and it is glorious. but we don't have it perfect yet.

next step will be to find a way to keep bigger moms under stronger lighting. right now our library is a measly 8 sq. feet and covered by two 4 bulb T5HO fixtures. they need at least twice that to give me the health and vigor i'd really like. i keep a small grove of seriously bonsaii'd moms and dads in half gallons in there.

lately we've been taking whatever cuts we can off happy 12--18" plants right before they go into flower---the healthier stock roots faster, transitions better, and vegges more quickly.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lately we've been taking whatever cuts we can off happy 12--18" plants right before they go into flower---the healthier stock roots faster, transitions better, and vegges more quickly.
:yeahthats exactly how i've been operating lately....

i've been working on airflow, got good negative air pressure to pull fresh air into the lung room that the tents are in, keeping it in low 80's with all the lights on (2x 1000w hps, 3x 600w hps, 1x 315w CMH in bloom).

veg gets a 1000w HPS dimmed down 50% and a 315w CMH, plus 2x 8bulb t5 4 feet in the "bench table" with clones in cups on the bottom and all plants from cuts in 1's and 3's on the top.

i have glimpsed it and it is glorious. but we don't have it perfect yet..
on some "i have been to the mountain top" vibes :good:

Last edited: