What's new

Is the new stuff any better?

OldPhart

You see hundreds of what I call these 'designer' strains. My question is, are they really any better that what we were growing 15-20 years ago? I remember growing some WW that would curl your hair. I can't believe that these new strains are that much better, or you would be laying on the ground passed out after taking a few hits. Now the pretty colors and taste, sure I could see those changing, but the basic strength/effect I wonder about. I choose to go with god bud, just because it wasn't new, I was wanting to do a retro grow and see if it still stands up in a Pepsi challenge with the new stuff.

OP

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Yes, it is better, there are stronger plants available than before, and with much more exotic tastes

But, there are so many new cowboys in the business, you really need to do your research to find what you want.

What are you after, and what for ?

Bob Green

This day and age pretty much everything is available. It all depends on your taste and how deep you're willing to dig into the gene pool.

Any specific new vs old?

For old school widow I would dig into a few packs of Joey Weed WW F2s.

For newer what do you prefer? Sativa, Indica,more hybrid?

HqFarms

Ask any OG and they will tell you the same. The potency has really not increased. You do have exceptions but really that's not the general consensus. Flavors have definitely changed and so have growing methods, equipment and all which made flowers seem better with more appeal. Take 91 chemdog, it is known for having no ceiling and I agree. There hasn't been a new strain out there that will put me on my ass every time like that 91 has

OldPhart

Any good suggestions for something that will leave you with a lit joint in your hand, and drool dripping off your chin? That is what I loved about the WW that I used to have; of course I would run them about 12-13 weeks! As a joke, I would show up at parties, walk around lighting joints and handing them to people; telling them to pass it around. 10 minutes later it was funny as hell, either people would just leave, or sit/lay down. Nothing like showing the college kids how an old phart parties. :)

Bob Green

For the new gear I highly recommend looking into grabbing a few seeds from Relentless Genetics. He makes a great variety of badass blends.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
This is the current offering of White Widow from Seedsman. Very potent and tasty. I grew this from fem seed.

I personally find strains today are a little stronger as far as making me couch locked, but the high from all these hybrids get boring to me after a week.

I like the old school strains for the complex quality highs. I like the perma grin high. The motivational highs. These days finding giggle weed is nearly impossible in newer strains. They are all bred for making you drool after half a joint.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

cravin morehead

Veteran
oldphart- I like that story. my friends wife has come up to me at a party and told me thanks for ruining the party. before I handed out some hash and bud, the party was loud. after, it got much more quiet and everyone was around the snack table. the only loud ones were those who know me and hang out often.
as far as your title question, I say absolutely not better. sure different flavors now a days. I've tried damn near all of the 'Dank' newer varieties out and about here in SoCal, my problem is 90% of them have the same type of high. the other 10% dont even get me high, just feel under motivated. there's no variety in effects now a days. not one of them can make you feel like the one high you had years ago and have been trying to find ever since. sure there's some exceptions, but not many. just my opinion after being a Toker for over 30 years. the guys older than me that I know, feel the same way. medically, that's a different story

cm

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I may be going out on a limb here but...

NO! I don't believe that most newer varieties are as potent & they mostly lack character that distinguishes one variety from another.

But... I've not tried every single variety there is either. This type of question will always garner biased answers.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I've been using cannabis for 30 years, 24/7 when at all possible. I'm autistic and have both physical and neuropathic pain sources.

The older strains had more CBD in them. I've noticed it taking more and more cannabis to get to that "I'm good" feeling, as the decades have gone by. It reached a point where I would be massively high, before reaching that point.

Just a few years ago I started using the newer high CBD strains. It takes very little (in comparison) for me to reach that "I'm Good" stage and the effect lasts longer again.

I'm glad to see things returning to normal (well, somewhat. lol). :)

HeriMarry

I find that newer strains have a "muddy" high. There are more flavors but there not fulfilling . The older strains, for example Power Plant give "ME" a better high than most strains I smoked in the last 12 years. But if my first ever toke was today, I might have a different opinion...

Cimba732

I've been using cannabis for 30 years, 24/7 when at all possible. I'm autistic and have both physical and neuropathic pain sources.

The older strains had more CBD in them. I've noticed it taking more and more cannabis to get to that "I'm good" feeling, as the decades have gone by. It reached a point where I would be massively high, before reaching that point.

Just a few years ago I started using the newer high CBD strains. It takes very little (in comparison) for me to reach that "I'm Good" stage and the effect lasts longer again.

I'm glad to see things returning to normal (well, somewhat. lol). :)
I'm young, 25, but have had access to "heirloom" strains from a friend's parents (my fucking goodness the throwback 70s sativas we'd get... I've grown her out, was most splendid herb to date) and I'd have to agree. I think when skunk and hydro came into play, the growing/breeding changed to hunt to reach the freakish thc levels we have today. I think strains were more 1:1, 2:1, 1:2, ect, back in the day.

I had no clue I smoked CBD cannabis when I was 15, it wasn't until 10 years later when I tried a MMJ CBD strain and had the epiphany... I noticed I heard the leaves, trees, breeze, the same way like when I was 15 smoking (was even in the same neighborhood, same trees, was kind of eerie TBH).

My first few times smoking were phenomenal CBD strains... Around 2005. Then 2006 got my first taste of Lemon Skunk, had a psychedelic high, tripped balls for 3 hours(nothing shroom-like, but I never experienced anything like that up until this point).

burningfire

Veteran
the staples like skunk and nl came out in the mid 80s.. but indoor growing wasn't as frequent as it is now, even in the 70s, it's not like there weren't very potent plants, it's just that techniques were not as refined so the probability of smoking something "potent" by today's standards wasn't as high.

now there was another shift in the mid to late 90s..at least in my market.. legalization of the mmj market brought on more change in the 2000s.. but I don't think anything has changed since the early 2000s in terms of potency available. there's a few seedbanks who claim insane amounts of thc but if they're not outright lying about it like BC seeds they are cherry picking buds and gaming the tests.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Also THC is not the sole component to effect. Breeding for 30% THC is useless if the high isn't quality.

I'll take an old school blueberry, Durban, skunk haze that has the right components and comes in at 10-15% THC over a 30% THC plant that is uber boring in effect.

Some of the Thais, mexicans, or sativas I have smoked would not test very high in THC but were ceiling less and awesome effect.

Damn I miss real weed :tiphat:

Bud_Man10

Veteran
Here here Lester, thoroughly agree with your take on it brutha!

Peace
BM

PS...I too miss real weed!

HqFarms

From everything I currently have and have ran in the past my 72 korean x 93 romulan (federation) has surpassed all of them by far. I don't mind the new flavors out there because I do burn for just the flavor sometimes. Sometimes I want just the taste without that super heady or couch lock effect but the other times i want my head ABOVE THE CLOUDS (gangstar) or something to knock my dick in the dirt. None of the new strains do that at all

rolandomota

Veteran
A lot of the not getting high enough is from tolerance build up and ceiling full weed that only gets you to a certain high and no higher no matter how hard you try. But mostly its the constant all day smoking with only sleep stoping you. Also weak weed and or booring weed or getting used to same plant or cultivar (strain)

Its not better or worse its the same shit its our brains that change and it takes six weeks for it to back to normal and three months for your body to go back to normal but who wants to quit for so damn long

Ready4

Veteran
Taking several weeks off from smoking any can sure change how a strain impacts.
I think the question is very subjective. By "old stuff" I think OP was talking older recent "newer" strains 80's -90's.

In the eighties, used to see outdoor RKS and Afghani that would just hammer you hard with a hard indica buzz.
I had Mighty Mite, West Coast Seeds. Not big yield but super potent & RKS smell- I loved watching people smoke it and see the effects, it was very potent. Not early, done Sept 30.
Legends Timebomb was my all time favorite outdoor. Nothing special indoor but outdoors, it was AAA.
Blueberry, excellent.
There are strains today that are not like the massive OG/Chem horde of very similar buzz.
Ace's Golden Tiger is worth every single cent by far. Ace Panama well worth it too.
Casey Jones is also one with a different excellent soaring high.
Chocolope is very excellent motivational buzz.
Golden Goat is super too