What's new

OH x SK1 - Breeding for Sativa/Landrace (P1) Seedstock

Lisdexik

I decided to make a thread for my OH x SK1 freebies, as there is not a lot of info on this cross in comparison to how many freebie seeds are out there..... especially info on inbreeding and out-crossing. Hopefully this thread will help change that... Feel free to post your collections of information/pictures of this cross in this thread to help encourage others to pop these awesome freebies :)

Because this cross is excellent breeding material, my goal is to stabilize P1 seed-stock out of OH phenotypes by the F4/F5 generation for the purpose of making ind/sat F1 Hybrids for personal medicine.

I would also like to emphasize that this project is purely experimental, and a learning experience as I am a relatively inexperienced breeder. All input/comments/criticisms are welcomed here....

Here's a brief timeline of what has happened thus far:

2009 –
Received Freebee 10 pk. from seed boutique

2010 –
-Sprouted seeds, 5 were successful, 5 did not germ (2wks germination)
-2 Females, 3 Males (open pollination)
-The plants were grown indoors in a large rubbermaid tub 12/12 from seed, with the only goal being the production F2 seedsock.

2011-
- (70) F2 seeds planted directly into soil and placed under 20/4 lighting for ~2 weeks, 50 successfully germed.
- (31) of those germed were vigorous enough to keep after 4 weeks 13/11 lighting:
- (3) hermies culled, (2) Females & (2) Males culled for not responding to increased dark periods.
- (16) healthy females, (7) healthy males making flowers after 3 weeks 11/13 lighting, (1) still un-sexed…

-So far there are two major phenotypical groups within the F2 seeds; the first being a more indica dominant group, leaning the skunk 1 side. This group has large fan leaves attached to long fuzzy light green petioles. The leaves have large serrations, with some leaves containing double serrations and a low amount of venation. The pigmentation on the stems is all pale green with large amounts of fuzz covering them on all parts of the plants. These phenotypes are all very productive and vigorous, even in small containers. They grow very fast in early flower with a lot of stretch if un-topped with x-mas tree formation, but if topped they produce symmetrical growth patterns in a bushy plant shorter internodal distance. Some females within this phenotypical group have very dark resin when pruned exuding from the stalk. When dry, it forms a helmet of shiney black resin that can be picked off and rolled between the fingers. This group requires more fertile soil than the sativa phenotypes. They can handle larger amounts of nitrogen without being stunted or burned. This group flowers much faster than the sativa phenos, showing sex in 13/11 light schedules, and producing resin much faster into 11/13 than more sativa dominant phenos as well (10 0f 16 Females/2 of 7 males).

The second phenotypical group within the seeds (6 of 16 Females/5 of 7 males) is also easily separable in physical features as well. The second group is much more sativa than the first group. These phenotypes are extremely slow to show sex in flower; many wouldn’t show in 13/11 lighting, but almost all have shown in 11/13 lighting (~2 weeks in). I don’t know yet if this is from N levels being too high, or because they were grown 12/12 from seed and experienced PH problems within the soil the first 4-5 weeks of life. Some have only made a few pistils thus far, and others are on their way to making calyxes already. This group of phenotypes is easy to distinguish as many of them are stunted from too much N, and are much smaller thus far. All of the plants within the group have red/rose/purple colorations present on their petioles, and on two of the males this coloration is present on the stalks and new growth as well. Some phenos that have been topped are exuding a rust/oxide to red color resin from the stem and branches. Some phenos are stretchy and branchy, and slower flowering, while others are more columnar and faster flowering, handling slightly* larger amounts of fertilizer as well, but all the phenos in this group display the petiole/stem coloration, low nutrient demand, low leaf mass (skinny blades), and a higher level of leaf serration/venation.

Pics coming soon....

Lisdexik

Here are some pics of an OH-pheno male:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This male is the main pollen donor to the F3 generation of seeds (red stem/petiole OH phenos) that are currently being open pollenated (3 F / 4 M).

Lisdexik

Krull

Soul Feeder
Veteran
Great project, Sam's OHxSk1 is one of the most impressive plant that i've ever grown.
What are your goals with this project? An haze-leaning pheno with quicker flowering time would be excellent imho (even if i love this plant it takes forever to ripen...).

Good luck :yes:

:lurk:

=K

Lisdexik

Here are some of the females ~38 days 11/13 lighting.... fed only water w/ tsp molasses per gallon every-other watering in organic soil

A couple of seeded haze phenos - recovering after being crammed into a small rubbermaid with the dads and no ventilation for 4 weeks ....
picture.php

picture.php

Un-pollenated phenos - slower flowering haze leaning phenos (to be crossed with 2 phenos of TBB, a red stemmed mutant and a vigorous all green pheno)
picture.php

picture.php

Skunk leaning females (mostly) un-pollenated, apparently I carried in some pollen on my clothes, but not too much luckily....
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Krull -
Yes this strain does take forever, I grew kali mist for years and it is way faster, but i'm becoming patient - can go over 100 days easy it seems...

My goals are simple, just want to make a landrace dominant sativa line that has a reasonable flowering time and to have fun of course :joint:

Lisdexik

Its starting to smell really tasty in the cab :)

A lot of different smells... Some skunky/earthy, others sweet fruit/lemons, sandalwood, cheese, even dryer sheet aromas coming through. I experienced similar smells in kali mist and SSH that I grew in the past, but neither were as complex or unique smelling as these ladies...

Cab shot
picture.php

Seeded haze ladies
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Unseeded shots
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Looks like there will be a good number of keepers to re-veg. I might make some S1's of the best couple re-veggers but haven't decided yet

Lisdexik

Lisdexik

Looks like these ladies have atleast another month to go. They are finally starting to show some character:

"Fast" maturing pheno - earthy/skunky aromas
picture.php

Lime green phenos - lemon/sandalwood/dryer-sheet aromas
picture.php

picture.php

Heavy trich phenos - denser/columner growth - lemon/funky cheese aromas
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Mex traits - unseeded red petiole pheno
picture.php

This pheno smells like lemon-piss and gear oil haha - Looks like Thai traits might be coming through???
picture.php

picture.php

Seeded mom #1 - lemon/sandalwood aromas (not as intense), nutrient sensitive, very columnar growth (wont branch at all), heavy trich coverage, fast flowering response.

I over-watered her before leaving town for christmas this week and it shows..... Better than dying from drought i suppose. I could care less about her appearance as long as the seeds are developed as she has an enormous amount of hybrid potential....
picture.php

picture.php

Seeded female #2 - intense dark but sweet smell of grapes and spices - not as nutrient sensitive - more nug-forming than fem 1 - not as columnar as fem 1 - med-heavy trich coverage - very vigorous.
picture.php

Not long now before the seeded ladies get the chop - I can't wait to see what the F3's from these ladies have in store - although I will be doing things a bit differently next time (working from clone in a less fertile soil and flouro only).

Hope you found something of use from all this :)

Lis

Did you try to outcross it to anything yet they make the most crazy dominant parents.I crossed a very haze dom male to a really powerful stinky sour kush clone and the father totally dominated it came out just like a extra stinky haze that only took twelve weeks

Lisdexik

Unfortunately I have not outcrossed these genetics yet, the purpose of this project is to inbreed for landrace mexican traits and create a line that will produce P1 worthy seedstock so I can make worthwhile hybrids in the future instead of wasting money on seeds that contain watered-down genetics from the same origin....

I really enjoyed growing and smoking kali mist and prefer mexican sativas for thier uplifting and anti-anxiety type high. I figure OH x SK1 is the best place to start because both parents contained 2/3-3/4 landrace mexican genetic makeup.

Finding these traits within the F2 seeds I produced has been pretty easy. Now I just have to inbreed (stabilize) the traits I desire (F4 or F5) to select females for outcrosses.

I was planning on hitting some of the more vigorous phenos with TBB pollen I've had stored for a few months now, but decided against it as there was already stray skunk-haze pollen within the "unseeded" population as well. I don't have the best facilities so having stray pollen from multiple strains floating around is not ideal.

I just received Orig. BB seeds, so I will be using my stored TBB pollen from 2 different fathers to make a BB hybrid as well. My hope is for both my OH x SK1 and Orig. BB x TBB lines to be finished within the next couple years so that I can begin making Haze/BB hybrids. I am not fond of most indica/ind. dom. smoke so maintaining lines of DJ and Sam's work will be invaluable to me for my medicinal needs in the future.

Lis

BEST OF LUCK with your projects.I have never grown a BB but i know for a fact you have some serious parents in the SK/OH line.I have seen a mexican pheno in Sams Original haze also it was a huge producer of foot long fat buds and was sweet like mexican but still very much a haze plant it was totally done in 14 weeks.It is fair to say this is probably a rare pheno i only saw one out 40 beans 22 females most had much lighter buds and were more Thai leaning with the longest going 21 weeks but worth every day.There is also some nice mexican stuff from cannabiogen in spain

Lisdexik

Headbutt -

Thank you :) After growing these out I think I will need a bit of luck... Very touchy, but the quality is out of this world - I can't wait to smoke this strain...

Well this grow has been full of trials and tribulations but has been an excellent learning experience.... Many of the plants were overfed throughout the cycle even though they were fed water only, they didn't respond well to upping the container size so much, and it would have been more consistent if I had cloned them in veg and flowered their clones....

Next time I plan on using a smaller container size all the way through, a low fert. sativa soil, and to flower from clones of the F3 generation instead of straight from seed. This way I can regulate nutrient levels and quicken the flowering time a bit while retaining back up of each F/M in the veg chamber - then breed with my selections.

Now that I have isolated out all of the phenotypes that fit the physical/terpene profiles I desire I will begin to grow out each pheno and smoke it before deciding to include it in the line - I just didn't have the facilities or security to do so this time around... but there is a ton of variation in this cross and I don't think it is necessary to select heavily until the F3 generation.

Unfortunately the over-watering of seeded female #1 ruined 99% of her seeds, and seeded female #3 just was not that fertile - not sure if i want to sprout them.... But seeded fem #2 really shined, producing a lot of fully developed F3's. I think this may be a blessing in disguise as she was the most vigorous, best smelling, and most closely resembles the phenos picked from the unseeded females to be added back into the line in the next generation.

sprinkl

Veteran
Very interesting! :)
There is a lot less variation in size and structure in the F2 than I would've expected. This is probably because parent A is 100%sativa and parent B 75% sativa?

I'm in the same situation as you, also want to do some sativa breeding for personal use... But I don't know yet where I'm going to start. I was thinking about getting TFD's Haze Mist(oHaze*South Indian) and Thai-Tanic(Thai*Sk1) and possibly crossing the two for my own hopefully ultimate thai dominant haze strain. But like you I like mexican a lot too. And I also got some Lavender*BB sativa that I would like to play with, and Kandy Kush Skunk(OGKush*Trainwreck)*sk1...

Unfortunately I have not outcrossed these genetics yet, the purpose of this project is to inbreed for landrace mexican traits and create a line that will produce P1 worthy seedstock so I can make worthwhile hybrids in the future instead of wasting money on seeds that contain watered-down genetics from the same origin....

I really enjoyed growing and smoking kali mist and prefer mexican sativas for thier uplifting and anti-anxiety type high. I figure OH x SK1 is the best place to start because both parents contained 2/3-3/4 landrace mexican genetic makeup.
Barney's Farm has a rrrrrrreally nice looking acapulco gold. (Sorry if that is not allowed.)
SK1 is 1/4th Mexican, and Haze also a 1/4, or am I wrong?

Lisdexik

sprinkl -

There is a decent amount of variation within the F2's - but not as much as expected as OH is very dominant in crosses, and SK1 is 3/4 sativa ((Col. Gold x Afghan) x Ac. Gold). Some have found indica leaning plants within the seeds but more so in the F1 generation.

If you're interested in a thai dom./ Mexican sativa line - I recommend checking out Cannabiogen or Ace seeds instead - Destroyer may be what you're looking for - plus you can request OH x SK1 as freebies and save some dough on seeds (and end up with better genetics anyways... imo).

Not long ago Iwas gifted some "Acupulco Gold" seeds by an old timer who says they are authentic and from the 70's, I've got my fingers crossed they are real, but we know how that usually goes with legends of old.....

Lisdexik

"Fast" pheno - earthy/skunky aromas
picture.php

Sk1 leaning pheno - mid level nugs
picture.php

Lemon piss pheno
picture.php

Heavy trich pheno
picture.php

picture.php

Re-Veg pheno #1- smells like grape skittles mmmmmmm... showed late (red) coloration on the petioles, symmetrical structure, lime green-light blue calyx coloration in flower. This pheno is nearly identical to seeded fem #2 - and will be added back into the line in the next generation.
picture.php

picture.php

Re-Veg pheno #2 - columnar growth, fresh (dryer sheets) and fruity (lemon/sandalwood) aromas. Rose/purple petioles and a light blue hue to the calyxes, and a lot of calyx stacking (similar to re-veg pheno 1).
picture.php

picture.php

Lisdexik

Gearing up for F3 > F4 - TESTERS!

Gearing up for F3 > F4 - TESTERS!

****I'm currently flowering some tester F3's from Fem #2*****

They are going 12/12 from seed, and have been really slow going thus far - soil was once again a little too heavy....... but no burn..... just slow to get going..... Plants will be relatively small, but that is my preference anyways....

I sprouted 5 seeds to fill some space in my flowering room awhile back - got 4 females, 1 male (culled). It took 45-50 days 12/12 from seed to sex.

Testers are being fed plain rainwater through the entire cycle - seedling to harvest in a 1 gallon pot..... No PHing - No Nutes - No Transplanting. I'm giving these gals equal opportunity I suppose....

More to come

Lis

Lisdexik

From the look of these 4 ladies, the F3 generation is heading in the intended direction :)

3 of the 4 phenos are VERY sativa, the other still has a tad bit of afghan lingering and showed sex over a week before the others.

5/5 beans sprouted showed red/purple stems as seedlings and red/purple petioles and stem stripes - only a small subset of F2 seeds sprouted showed these traits.... It should be interesting to see how these physical traits used to select F2's will play out in relation to the potency and resin profiles in this generation....

I still have ~65 F2 seeds and ~140 F3's - I intend on sifting through them all and selecting based on potency and clarity of the high (I want a CLEAR high) in the finished product before going to F4 and (F3 x F2)

Group Shot
picture.php

Lis

Latest posts

Latest posts