What's new

trimming on the hoof?

the gnome

Veteran
is it ok to trim before you cut the plant down?
it seem to be a lot easier to do it this way imo
after the cuts the leave shrivel and seems to make it harders.
anyone trim on da hoof?

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
I like to cut off branches from the wet plant then trim the buds.
Trimming involves alot of manipulation which can knock alot of trichomes off the buds if they are dry IMO.
If you trim them dry the smaller leaves will fold over onto the bud making them a PITA to trim, trim wet and you'll get a nice close trim and nug shape.
I have trimmed a plant whole without removing branches and never again.
I like to twirl the branch to get access all around the bud.

qbert

I like to twirl the branch to get access all around the bud.

I hang wire from the trusses in the garage and dangle the main stem upside down in front of me from the wire.

Then my hands and arms don't get so tired from holding up branches the whole time I trim.

Baba Ku

Veteran
I find that the fresher things are, the easier they are to trim up.
If you take all the fans off while it is still in the pot, and take only one branch at a time to manicure, then if you get interrupted or it takes longer than you thought, you can just put the plant back and return to finish later. Everything stays nice and fresh and easy to trim.
I like to not only take the fans off by hand while "on the hoof", but also the smallest leaves with stems that are up close in the calyx'. Those snap out much easier when fresh.
(fans hit the garbage, the small stemmed leaves go in the hash sack)

G

greenmatter

the fact that trimming sucks supports the formula easier=better

RoomRaider

I trim them when they are still alive in pots. Its the easiest way, you can spin the pot around to get access to every nook and cranny, manipulate them any way you need. Trimming them upside down is a pain in the ass, fresh or not.

I also like to leave a little bit of leaf, so when it dries it kinda curls around the bud (around a 1/4" give or take)

sci-fi

I live in an arid climate so i hang the plants whole and dry before i trim. I found this is the only way i can slow the drying down. It is a PITA to trim but the quality is sooo much better. My drying time this way is about 9-10 days. No leaves=3 days=crap.

MrBlue2

I live in an arid climate so i hang the plants whole and dry before i trim. I found this is the only way i can slow the drying down. It is a PITA to trim but the quality is sooo much better. My drying time this way is about 9-10 days. No leaves=3 days=crap.

I agree, to get the best quality buds a 7-10 day dry followed by a dry trim is the way to go.

I wet trimmed for a long time because i thought it was faster but once you get used to dry trimming its really not that bad.

trichomes are very fragile when the plant is still wet. wet trimming can damage trichomes giving your buds a commercial look. hanging plants upside down allows leaves to curl around wet trichomes offering them protection.

I agree, to get the best quality buds a 7-10 day dry followed by a dry trim is the way to go.

I wet trimmed for a long time because i thought it was faster but once you get used to dry trimming its really not that bad.

trichomes are very fragile when the plant is still wet. wet trimming can damage trichomes giving your buds a commercial look. hanging plants upside down allows leaves to curl around wet trichomes offering them protection.

:thinking: Hmm...Very good point Mr. Blue, I'll give it a go, next dry. Thanks! I bumped up your rep BTW

hopleaf

i trim all fan leaves right away as well as most of the larger sugar trim. i leave just enough leaves to droop down and sheild the trichs from any light or anyother thrich degrading thing. then i let them dry for about 3-4days like that then trim the rest while the trichs are still moist enough to hold on. that way you don't loose trich will finishing trimming. then i let the bud dry until i feel it's dry enough to begin curing. every harvest is just a little different. also i found the taste of the bud was just a little better with the batch that was trimmed in this method compared to wet trimming. i think it has something with the residual sugars that are still in the leaves post harvest.