What's new

Is suicide cowardly, brave, depends or just meh?

superx

Veteran
I personally believe we are all entitled to check out when ever we want.

Slim Pickens

Veteran
I never could understand suicide till I experienced extreme depression.I guess what has carried me through was that I believe it is wrong,not to mention terribly hurtful to the people we would have left behind.

The idea of one of my family members committing suicide disturbs me to my core.

Chappi

It’s the dumbest thing ever ahahah
If people only knew that you just come back to do it all over again where you left off. You gotta burn that karma one way or another, as a wise man once told me “you can run, but you can’t hide” :muahaha:

'Boogieman'

Just depends on how you do it. If you just shoot or hang yourself that is cowardly. But if decide to fight a bear or lion to the death that would be brave (and stupid).

C

Capra ibex

My best friend killed himself in 2003, i thought there was no warning at the time but when i look back he did give quite a few warnings it's just that everyone dismissed him as being silly or dramatic as he had a similar sense of humour too.

He told me the day before he did it, if i want to contact him call this number, and left the number.
I still have the number :frown:
I don't know what the final trigger was but i think it might have been coming down from ecstasy combined with the loneliness of New Years eve for him.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
it depends on the circumstances involved. are you facing an incurable disease which will destroy your family through bankruptcy in a futile medical battle that will be lost? are you willing to destroy their chance at a future so you can live in excruciating agony for a few more months? are you that damn selfish/selfcentered/special? really? i had a friend that was in his late 60s, owned a construction co. here. he noticed that he was letting important details get by him that was hurting the family business & its employees. he had cared for his parents as they withered away & died from Alzheimers, not even knowing him or their other children in their last years. after getting the diagnosis from his doctor, he called all of the family together for a long weekend of cook-outs, horseshoes, swimming etc. (he did NOT share Drs diagnosis.) after the weekend was over, he went out on his back porch where he spent most of his spare time to relax, and shot himself to spare his remaining family the despair & troubles that come from dealing with such a situation. i say he was a brave man facing a horrible end that refused to inflict it on his loved ones. you are, of course, welcome to see it differently. do not, however, expect to change others minds...

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Words that were not used is: selfish or unselfish. Never judge a man until you walked a mile in his shoes.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
In some cultures suicide is considered the honourable way out of this life - in some circumstances -

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
funny, or not so funny but I've spent the last several days trying to talk 1 close friend and 1 relative down from the edge.

Both have the same issues (besides the legacy of very poor parenting) but refuse to take psyc meds to help with the core problem which is emotional instability.

Both think a "small, temporary loan" to get back on their feet so they can get a job will help but it never seems to do the trick long term.

The relative recently bottomed out when the money dried up and has sought psychiatric care.

The friend is still threatening suicide and will either end up dead, in the hospital or in jail.

Some peeps can be helped and others can't.

....... and sometimes I wish they would both just get it over with and leave me the fk alone!:tiphat:

E

ESTERCHASER

I lost a great soul to The s word........this existance can be painful if your sensitive to things other just ignore on a daily basis. Ive seen souls with everything to live for support their countries ...only to come back DESTROYED, and fantazing about death! I also wish my close relatives would just disapeer at times i wont lie....Can we do a thread herer at ic mag for family and friends of psych issues? Lots bof great minds here with good insight. Kinda like alanon for drunks?

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
You can construct a thread on virtually anything - within reasonable acceptance - and MENTAL HEALTH is something that needs an ongoing conversation - since I believe it is all important - for a healthy life -

I lost a great soul to The s word........this existance can be painful if your sensitive to things other just ignore on a daily basis. Ive seen souls with everything to live for support their countries ...only to come back DESTROYED, and fantazing about death! I also wish my close relatives would just disapeer at times i wont lie....Can we do a thread herer at ic mag for family and friends of psych issues? Lots bof great minds here with good insight. Kinda like alanon for drunks?

Gry

Veteran
The effect on those who remain can sure be brutal.
I believe more effective mental health professionals
are a wonderful and needed thing.
A more decent society overall wouldn't hurt either.

Bobby Boucher

The Buddhist take.

If someone commits suicide in anger, he may be reborn in a sorrowful realm due to negative final thoughts. Nevertheless, Buddhism does not condemn suicide without exception, but rather observes that the reasons for suicide are often negative and thus counteract the path to enlightenment.

Best friend of 25 years shot himself in the head. I feel most sorry for his 4 kids who will live with that. I think if you have kids and aren't dying from sickness that the act is quite selfish and cowardly. Especially if it was a lifetime of poor decisions that led to it.

HerbChambers

Just recently lost an acquaintance to suicide. His bone marrow cancer came back and he wasn't ready to go through it all again. He's survived by a wife and child.

E

ESTERCHASER

id just like to state for shits and giggles theres nothing i wouldnt do to find a cure for cancer.

St. Phatty

I think for Joe Stack, it was Courage.

His beef was with the IRS - and he settled it accordingly.

He's the guy who flew the small plane into the Dallas IRS building.

Pretty sure they were highly coercive & made his life hell.

YukonKronic

The end is the most intensely personal moment of any life in my opinion. It’s between the one who dies and their loved ones.

NOBODY ELSE’S JUDGMENT MATTERS.