What's new

lending money to people......NEVER AGAIN

freeganja

Bush Doctor
Veteran
I just wanted to share my experience and maybe some of you have some insight. A few months ago, my girlfriend was pushed by her mom into loaning her friend $3000, saying she would pay it back in November. It is now the end of March, still nothing! What would you do?

Manstien

The quickest way to lose friends is to loan them money, maybe they where not friends in the first place though..

Take the toes one by one, then move up to the knee caps

maybe they won't last long enough to see what there left nut tastes like

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
YMMV:

I've recently had a local friend known to me for years screw me over in the worst possible way.

& then I've had other friends in need from miles away make good on their word to repay me, my only regret being I wasn't in a position to better help them.

I think the key here is the fact that you guys had to be pushed into doing this, I'd start jacking the your gf's mother for cash or consider you were played by all of them in a petty plot to liberate some greenbacks from you, reality sucks.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
more important, why are people talking to people who are 'pushy'

life's to short to not have it the way you want...

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have you talked to her? If she keeps giving you excuses there only one recourse small claims court. Oh and never loan moey to friends or family. I did that with my sister and when I asked for the cash back she made me feel like I was a scumbag for asking.. Never again

G

greenmatter

we've all been there.

you should have trusted your instincts and said no .......... live and learn.

i will only loan what i can afford to never see again. guess how i learned that

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I only loan money I think I can afford to never see again. I never got taken advantage of but have seen enough of others to see this happens a lot.

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
I'm lucky enough to have never been in a position where I COULD lone any $$$$, so I've never been burned.

I did lone my tools to a buddy in exchange for storage in his garage for a while tho, and wound up only getting about 1/2 of them back thanks to his thieving room mate.

All and all lost about 5k worth of tools and one of my boxes in that deal. I've still got 2 of my boxes and about 15k of my tools, but all the ones I actually NEED on a regular basis are F'n gone! :mad:

johnny54

lesson learned I hope, who knows you coulda gotta burned for alot more in the future if you didnt have this previous experience...

LOANS = high risk, low (zero?) reward

L

longearedfriend

this isn't you, it's your girlfriend

you can't speak for her

imho

I learned to never gamble more than I could risk losing.

money is money

I got robbed, I gave away

for sure I knew what I was doing, and I analyzed the consequences of my actions

all in all, I know I followed my heart, if other people don't follow their's. that's too bad for them :)

I was never attached to that paper in a way to act in less then human ways to get it

I worked hard for mine, and I am proud of that. I didn't rob people, I didn't fuck people over

money is money

if you had enough to lend 3500 (hmmm, again, this is your girlfriend, not you)

then you must be not be starving for food

money makes people act funny
concerning me and my friends with money...
I don't like lending it... I don't like when people owe me money

my friends understand

if they are hungry, I will feed them
recently my friend was going through financial problems, I left him some smokes and some herb

fucking with my money is like fucking with my head.
but all things in perspective.. money is just paper.

man, if a mom can't pay back her child

then that mom has a problem, either financial or mental/spiritual

money can't buy health, and it sure can't buy happiness

The question now isn't what we would do, but
what are you/your girlfriend gonna do ?

I think communication can get you somewhere

talking...

what is going on ? why haven't you given me my money back ?

if you had money to spare, then I believe you shouldn't feel bad about it

and if you thought you we're gonna get it back.. well... :) welcome... to a new dimension

don't you feel smarter now ? again... this is more in relations with your girlfriend

and again... if I lent 3500$ for my mother

I would ask what it's for, and being it is my mother, I could read her facial expression/trust my gut to see if she is in trouble

I would feel out the situation

I feel you have not given us enough information

I see it like this, if the mom is the kind of person, who doesn't care about fucking over her child (and is not in financial crisis/other problems, and that's just the way it is) then I figure

mom, me and you, we are gonna have to grow apart, you won't be seeing my ass till you give me my money

I believe that every human being is doing the best he can in any given situation...

Last edited:

freeganja

Bush Doctor
Veteran
Our plan was to go to her doorstep and demand the money. If she doesnt give us the money, her mom is giving it to us. I did tell my g/f not to do it, b/c I have seen it happen to too many people I know. I believe she borrowed it because she was trying to save her husbands failing auto repair shop. She should have the money because she is a nurse.

Basically, her mom is a fool. She loaned $4000 of her own money to so called friends, she never saw it again. I just feel my g/f should have put her foot down and tell her no.

kin_dawg

^Wow longeared I want what your smokin

'never lend anymore then you can afford NOT to get back. And if you get paid back it's a bonus:biggrin:
got that advice in re-hab:laughing:

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
I help a lot of ppl out-- Sometimes small, sometimes big--
It is like Vegas odds (For the House)...if I can help 100 ppl, and get burned by 4 or 5...I am still ahead of the game!! I found out which 5 of my TRUSTED FRIENDS I cannot trust anymore....and in the end, I still get the personal satisfaction of helping people--
In other words...I would rather live life being able to trust, than being an untrusting recluse--
Oh, one other thing...there is a fine line between being "Trusting"...and being a "Sucka"!! Just gotta figure out where that line is, for you--:tiphat:

sso

Veteran
well, sometimes family just takes longer to pay ya back.

as in, maybe they know you can afford to get paid later and things are still tight for them?

then again, if you cant afford to loan somebody and you cant afford them not paying you back.

then you shouldnt loan;)

things can go wrong, no matter who it is and no matter what insurance they have.

but you also shouldnt jump to conclusions before you have the whole picture.

things are not necessarily as bad as they seem.

Latest posts

Latest posts