What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BHOgart Extractor Thread

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
Anyone go to the HempCon over the weekend?
I had daddy duty and couldn't attend.
How was the BHOgart booth?

rootzstyle

Thanks for all the info ya'll. I've had my 1lb bhogart since the Emerald Cup this year and still haven't run it. I've never made wax in any manner, so I'm a little freaked out by the process. Hoping to get a run down from the Bhogart guys, the videos online are helpful but some of it just goes over my head. Especially after reading all the specs you guys are discussing. I'm planning on running outdoor popcorn nugs. Got a ton of it to play with.

rootzstyle

And yo I'm trying to message some of ya'll but I can't figure how. Perhaps I'm too much of a newbie? Joined the site for this thread.

dirkvid

I'd like to get to work now, but discovered after un boxing bhogart last night that no documentation or parts list was provided. I contacted bhogart and I'm waiting on an email with a manual attached.

Hash Man

I'd like to get to work now, but discovered after un boxing bhogart last night that no documentation or parts list was provided. I contacted bhogart and I'm waiting on an email with a manual attached.

Here ya go

Extractor Operating Instructions

1) Always do Outside
2) Always do Outside
3) Review supplied facts on butane safety
4)Review supplied parts list to ensure all parts are present

Putting everything together

5)Place 3-4 coffee filters on base of extractor, inside the oil collection chamber, with supplied hose clamp. Rip filters to appropriate size
6) Fill the top tube with trim. A road cone or large funnel gets the job done pretty well.
7) Make sure all the gaskets, screen gaskets, and filters are in place and tighten all the tri clamps on the extractor.
8) Hang the manifold gauge set from the top tri clamp
9) Attach 3 60" hoses with the straight ends on the gauge set
10) the blue gauge goes to the top of the extractor
11) the middle line goes to the purge valve/ recovery tank
12) the red gauge on the manifold set goes to the red side of the recovery pump
13) Supplied purge valve goes on the end of the middle 60" line before the recovery tank
14) place a 12" hose with built in ball valve on the recovery tank. then connect it to the purge valve
15)Place the other 12" hose with ball valve and female to female coupler on the can tapper. the valve goes closest to the can tapper
16) Place the filter dryer on the blue side of the recovery pump
17) Place a 4th hose connecting the base of the extractor to the filter dryer on the blue side of the recovery pump
18) connect the 5th line to the purge port and vacuum pump

Operating instructions

Now that the extractor is filled with trim and all connected to the pump and recovery tank lets get started. Make sure the gauges on the recovery are wide open, straight up and down, on both sides. do not pay attention to these gauges.
1) open both sides of the manifold gauge set , blue and red wide open.
2) when there is no recovered butane in the recovery tank pull a vacuum on the extractor and recovery tank. On second and subsequent extractions there will be recovered butane in the recovery tank. So you need to burp off any uncompressible gas by simply cracking open the ball valve and releasing a little butane. If there is no butane in the recovery tank open both valves. If butane is in the recovery tank only open the valve to the extractor. Pull a full vacuum on the extractor -30 hg on the blue gauge on the manifold set.
3) Close valves isolating the extractor and recovery tank. Then shut off the vacuum pump.
4) Make the sure the extractor holds a full vacuum on the gauges and does not leak for a couple minutes.
5) Disconnect the vacuum pump and line from the purge valve
6)Use the supplied can tapper and hose with ball valve to load cans of butane into the system. (if using solvents from a tank see amended copy of instructions)
7) Close the valve on the can tapper so butane does not escape. Tap the canister of butane on the side, either the top or bottom. In the middle will simply crush the can.
8) before attaching can tapper to purge valve make sure all valves on extractor and recovery tank are closed and the unit is not leaking (-30 hg on the blue gauge )
9) Release a little butane through the hose to push the oxygen out of the line of the can tapper and During the connection to the purge port have a little butane flowing through the hose.
10) open the valve wide open on the can tapper
11) open the valve leading to the extractor and allow the butane to go into the extractor.
12) once can is completed close valve leading to extractor then valve on can tapper. Remove hose from purge port and take used can out of can tapper. The 1 Lb system uses roughly 4-5 cans of butane so when initially charging repeat steps 6-12 for each and every can of butane. The recovery tank valve has remained closed the whole time.
13) If you have recovered butane in the recovery tank, remember to burp tank, we usually top off the extractor with 1 can of butane to account for line loss and any butane in the extraction. Before opening the valve to use the recovery tank on the extractor add this can. then close the valve on the can tapper.
14) Have a ice bath with salt (Brine bath) to use on the recovery tank and some form of heat for the extractor. A heat gun, hot water, hot plate, etc this will turn the liquid butane into a gas faster
15) keep the recovery tank inverted in the ice bath, this will liquify the butane from a gas
16) once 4- 5 cans have been added or 1 can and the recovery tank turn on the recovery pump and start the extraction
17) The extractor can be run in two ways. One like a continuously recirculating shower or shower-recovery -shower -recovery.
18) when running like a continuous shower leave blue gauge wide open. Restrict red gauge to build 100 psi on red gauge. Make sure the gauge is pegged on your desired psi and not slowly crawling up
this creates a compression zone from the head of the pump to the manifold set recompressing the gas into a liquid.
19) Run the shower for 15-60 minutes depending upon your desired end product
20) when you want to recover you butane invert the recovery tank into the ice bath and if there was no butane in the system open the valve to the recovery tank. If it is already open leave it open. Open red valve all the way and close blue gauge ( Low side) on the gauge set. this forces the butane down the center line to the recovery tank.
21) Recover the butane until the blue gauge reads about 22 hg then close valve on the recovery tank and then shut off the recovery pump. The recovery pump does not like to run dry so it is recommended to stop at -22 hg
22) take the hose on the top of the extractor off and release whatever butane remains in the line. Canned butane has propane in it and has different pressure temperature relationships so it causes a little loss when disassembling the extractor. N butane will recover 100% Canned butane will get about 90% back due to the propane mixture.

23) Running the extractor as shower -recovery shower recovery mode: Simply open the red side valve (high side ) on the manifold set and close the blue side (low side) and invert the recovery tank in an ice bath. Make sure the valves to the tank are open and can tapper valve is closed. Recover the butane till the blue gauge (low side ) gets to zero. Turn the tank right side up again and open the blue gauge( low side ) wide open and then tighten the red gauge (high side ) back to 100 psi and watch for the gauge crawling up.

Helpful hints
If the extractor during recovery does not drop the low side (blue gauge ) on the manifold set simply add heat to the extractor base. You can tell the level of butane by the condensation line on the base. to much can be detrimental to the consistency of the extract. So use heat with caution.

If for some reason the extractor seems to be dry, does not produce an extraction , operates at a higher pressures than usual or does anything out of the ordinary let all the butane out of the entire system and pull a new vacuum on everything and start over.

The Blue gauge (low side ) operates normally between 25-50 psi . The red side when running in a continuous shower mode is restricted to about 100psi. the primary variables that control extracts consistency are pressure temperature , and time .

When operating as a shower-recovery shower recovery drop the psi on the blue gauge to 0 then reopen and dump back through.

Never Apply heat to the sight glass window

use alcohol and an abrasive sponge to clean the extractor and orings after every run

Vacuum purge your final product and get some killer wax. For the best results on wax stay between 120-140 under full vacuum for up to 15 hours .
For shatter or glass consistencies purge at 130-140 under full vacuum . Check out Bret Maverick on youtube for some great how to videos

the extractor is designed to recover the butane as a gas from the base of the extractor then recompress the gas back into a liquid to be blown back through the top. It can either be recompressed by restricting the red gauge (high side ) on the manifold or run as a shower -recovery shower - recovery. The ice bath causes the butane to liquify. Either way you go from gas to liquid gas to liquid etc. until you want to stop the extraction process

Adding heat to the base of the extractor causes the liquid butane to turn into gas. the more heat you apply the faster the liquid turns into a gas. The ice bath turns the gas into a liquid.

rootzstyle

Hash Man...YOU ROCK!!! Seriously thank you. Question though. On the continuous recirculating shower style, the recovery tank (1lb model) stays inverted (valve up) the entire time? Or when I start do I need to flip it over so that the valve is down to get the liquid out. If the latter, when do I invert it (valve up) again? When I'm finished extracting and sending everything back to the recover tank?

When I'm flipping the recovery tank so that the valve is down, at that point I can remove it from the salt bath, correct?

Here ya go

Extractor Operating Instructions

1) Always do Outside
2) Always do Outside
3) Review supplied facts on butane safety
4)Review supplied parts list to ensure all parts are present

Putting everything together

5)Place 3-4 coffee filters on base of extractor, inside the oil collection chamber, with supplied hose clamp. Rip filters to appropriate size
6) Fill the top tube with trim. A road cone or large funnel gets the job done pretty well.
7) Make sure all the gaskets, screen gaskets, and filters are in place and tighten all the tri clamps on the extractor.
8) Hang the manifold gauge set from the top tri clamp
9) Attach 3 60" hoses with the straight ends on the gauge set
10) the blue gauge goes to the top of the extractor
11) the middle line goes to the purge valve/ recovery tank
12) the red gauge on the manifold set goes to the red side of the recovery pump
13) Supplied purge valve goes on the end of the middle 60" line before the recovery tank
14) place a 12" hose with built in ball valve on the recovery tank. then connect it to the purge valve
15)Place the other 12" hose with ball valve and female to female coupler on the can tapper. the valve goes closest to the can tapper
16) Place the filter dryer on the blue side of the recovery pump
17) Place a 4th hose connecting the base of the extractor to the filter dryer on the blue side of the recovery pump
18) connect the 5th line to the purge port and vacuum pump

Operating instructions

Now that the extractor is filled with trim and all connected to the pump and recovery tank lets get started. Make sure the gauges on the recovery are wide open, straight up and down, on both sides. do not pay attention to these gauges.
1) open both sides of the manifold gauge set , blue and red wide open.
2) when there is no recovered butane in the recovery tank pull a vacuum on the extractor and recovery tank. On second and subsequent extractions there will be recovered butane in the recovery tank. So you need to burp off any uncompressible gas by simply cracking open the ball valve and releasing a little butane. If there is no butane in the recovery tank open both valves. If butane is in the recovery tank only open the valve to the extractor. Pull a full vacuum on the extractor -30 hg on the blue gauge on the manifold set.
3) Close valves isolating the extractor and recovery tank. Then shut off the vacuum pump.
4) Make the sure the extractor holds a full vacuum on the gauges and does not leak for a couple minutes.
5) Disconnect the vacuum pump and line from the purge valve
6)Use the supplied can tapper and hose with ball valve to load cans of butane into the system. (if using solvents from a tank see amended copy of instructions)
7) Close the valve on the can tapper so butane does not escape. Tap the canister of butane on the side, either the top or bottom. In the middle will simply crush the can.
8) before attaching can tapper to purge valve make sure all valves on extractor and recovery tank are closed and the unit is not leaking (-30 hg on the blue gauge )
9) Release a little butane through the hose to push the oxygen out of the line of the can tapper and During the connection to the purge port have a little butane flowing through the hose.
10) open the valve wide open on the can tapper
11) open the valve leading to the extractor and allow the butane to go into the extractor.
12) once can is completed close valve leading to extractor then valve on can tapper. Remove hose from purge port and take used can out of can tapper. The 1 Lb system uses roughly 4-5 cans of butane so when initially charging repeat steps 6-12 for each and every can of butane. The recovery tank valve has remained closed the whole time.
13) If you have recovered butane in the recovery tank, remember to burp tank, we usually top off the extractor with 1 can of butane to account for line loss and any butane in the extraction. Before opening the valve to use the recovery tank on the extractor add this can. then close the valve on the can tapper.
14) Have a ice bath with salt (Brine bath) to use on the recovery tank and some form of heat for the extractor. A heat gun, hot water, hot plate, etc this will turn the liquid butane into a gas faster
15) keep the recovery tank inverted in the ice bath, this will liquify the butane from a gas
16) once 4- 5 cans have been added or 1 can and the recovery tank turn on the recovery pump and start the extraction
17) The extractor can be run in two ways. One like a continuously recirculating shower or shower-recovery -shower -recovery.
18) when running like a continuous shower leave blue gauge wide open. Restrict red gauge to build 100 psi on red gauge. Make sure the gauge is pegged on your desired psi and not slowly crawling up
this creates a compression zone from the head of the pump to the manifold set recompressing the gas into a liquid.
19) Run the shower for 15-60 minutes depending upon your desired end product
20) when you want to recover you butane invert the recovery tank into the ice bath and if there was no butane in the system open the valve to the recovery tank. If it is already open leave it open. Open red valve all the way and close blue gauge ( Low side) on the gauge set. this forces the butane down the center line to the recovery tank.
21) Recover the butane until the blue gauge reads about 22 hg then close valve on the recovery tank and then shut off the recovery pump. The recovery pump does not like to run dry so it is recommended to stop at -22 hg
22) take the hose on the top of the extractor off and release whatever butane remains in the line. Canned butane has propane in it and has different pressure temperature relationships so it causes a little loss when disassembling the extractor. N butane will recover 100% Canned butane will get about 90% back due to the propane mixture.

23) Running the extractor as shower -recovery shower recovery mode: Simply open the red side valve (high side ) on the manifold set and close the blue side (low side) and invert the recovery tank in an ice bath. Make sure the valves to the tank are open and can tapper valve is closed. Recover the butane till the blue gauge (low side ) gets to zero. Turn the tank right side up again and open the blue gauge( low side ) wide open and then tighten the red gauge (high side ) back to 100 psi and watch for the gauge crawling up.

Helpful hints
If the extractor during recovery does not drop the low side (blue gauge ) on the manifold set simply add heat to the extractor base. You can tell the level of butane by the condensation line on the base. to much can be detrimental to the consistency of the extract. So use heat with caution.

If for some reason the extractor seems to be dry, does not produce an extraction , operates at a higher pressures than usual or does anything out of the ordinary let all the butane out of the entire system and pull a new vacuum on everything and start over.

The Blue gauge (low side ) operates normally between 25-50 psi . The red side when running in a continuous shower mode is restricted to about 100psi. the primary variables that control extracts consistency are pressure temperature , and time .

When operating as a shower-recovery shower recovery drop the psi on the blue gauge to 0 then reopen and dump back through.

Never Apply heat to the sight glass window

use alcohol and an abrasive sponge to clean the extractor and orings after every run

Vacuum purge your final product and get some killer wax. For the best results on wax stay between 120-140 under full vacuum for up to 15 hours .
For shatter or glass consistencies purge at 130-140 under full vacuum . Check out Bret Maverick on youtube for some great how to videos

the extractor is designed to recover the butane as a gas from the base of the extractor then recompress the gas back into a liquid to be blown back through the top. It can either be recompressed by restricting the red gauge (high side ) on the manifold or run as a shower -recovery shower - recovery. The ice bath causes the butane to liquify. Either way you go from gas to liquid gas to liquid etc. until you want to stop the extraction process

Adding heat to the base of the extractor causes the liquid butane to turn into gas. the more heat you apply the faster the liquid turns into a gas. The ice bath turns the gas into a liquid.
PRESSURE TEST FIRST PLEASE!

rootzstyle

Couple questions...

I pulled to -30hg in the extractor and recovery tank, closed both valves. I added 3 cans of butane to the extractor, keeping the recovery tank closed. Pressure got up to about 35. I couldn't add any more, the cans wouldn't fill the extractor any further after the 3. I went ahead and ran the system with just the 3 cans, never opening the recovery tank (so it stayed at -30hg during my run).

So was that right? Or should I have opened the recover tank to give more room so that I could add another 2-3 cans?

Next question. During the run the pressure on the blue guage was usually around 20. The instructions posted say it should be running between 25-50.

Was it low because I only used 3 cans to fill the extractor? Because I didn't open the recovery tank to relieve pressure and add more cans? I was thinking I needed to keep the recovery tank at -30hg so that when I was finished there would be room to recover the butane from the extractor.

Also, while pressure on the blue gauge usually hung around 20, it did occasionally shoot up very high for a few moments, like to 120. Then I could here the pressure release through the hose. It's as though pressure built in the hose and it finally pushed through. Is that normal? And is there anything I can be doing to prevent/minimize that?

When packing the tube with my product, should it be packed tight? Currently I'm practicing with weak trim and some water leaves. I'm going to use some good trim after a couple practice runs, and then I'll be using small outdoor nugs regularly. Should I be more concerned about packing it properly or the weight going into the tube?

Some other feedback that would be helpful...

What is the different between a longer and shorter continuous shower?
How long can it take to recover the butane from the extractor into the recovery tank?
So it was suggested to go to -22hg when recovering. If I were to only go less, lets say to -10hg, what should I expect to be different? Will there be more butane in my product and require more purging? Would there be actual liquid butane still in my product that will require letting it evaporate?

Sorry for the overload in questions, I'm so freaking new to this. But I'm happy with my first run, think I got the motions down. Just need to know what I can do better.

Hash Man

Im about to go to sleep and dont have time right now to answer every question. I will answer more tomorrow. You should be able to fit more than 3 cans in... You probably were having issues correctly inputting the solvent into the system with a can tapper. Was your appion on or not when putting the solvent in? The recovery tank being closed had nothing to do with tis issue. Were your red and blue sides of the manifold both open?

Your tank is only inverted during the recovery/icebath... For second showers etc.... Flip the tank over before opening up the red side of the manifold, otherwise you will not get much solvent out...

U will get it down soon after a few hiccups. Will get back at you tomorrow.

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
When inputting butane into the system, vac the whole system, close both valves
on the yellow line. Open the blue gauge valve, close the red. attach the can tapper, open both valves on the yellow line, and open the can tapper.
close the line valves and do it again, and again until it won't take any more. then open the red gauge valve, close the blue. can tapper valve closed (with can attached.)
Start the appion, open both line valves, and recover you solvent down to -8 or so on the low side gauge. Close the tank valve, open blue, close red, add more butane. repeat.

Last edited:

rootzstyle

Im about to go to sleep and dont have time right now to answer every question. I will answer more tomorrow. You should be able to fit more than 3 cans in... You probably were having issues correctly inputting the solvent into the system with a can tapper. Was your appion on or not when putting the solvent in? The recovery tank being closed had nothing to do with tis issue. Were your red and blue sides of the manifold both open?

Your tank is only inverted during the recovery/icebath... For second showers etc.... Flip the tank over before opening up the red side of the manifold, otherwise you will not get much solvent out...

U will get it down soon after a few hiccups. Will get back at you tomorrow.

I did not have the appion running when I was adding the butane.

rootzstyle

And yes both gauge valves were open on the manifold. So it sounds like, after reading your post too Kcar, that at some point at least, I should have filled the recovery tank with butane as well. Rather than just trying to fit 5 cans into the extractor alone?

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
Still loving my hybrid BHOgart!
My newest upgrade is a Molecular Sieve filter to remove aquired water
from your butane.
Also, the Appion MegaFlow 1/2" hose is awesome!

apollojmr

So I started this thread a while ago thinking I had the best extractor out. I was told at the time that I bought the extractor that I would also receive a clear lid for the use of a vacuum lid and I am still waiting. I complained and was told that I would receive one of the hot water sleeve tanks to go over my unit. I am still waiting with no answer. I am saddened by the lack of true customer service nowadays. I am going to give it a little time to see if they make it right. If bhogart does not I promise you all will here a lot about as I will make it a mission to make it known about them.

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
So I started this thread a while ago thinking I had the best extractor out. I was told at the time that I bought the extractor that I would also receive a clear lid for the use of a vacuum lid and I am still waiting. I complained and was told that I would receive one of the hot water sleeve tanks to go over my unit. I am still waiting with no answer. I am saddened by the lack of true customer service nowadays. I am going to give it a little time to see if they make it right. If bhogart does not I promise you all will here a lot about as I will make it a mission to make it known about them.

Sorry for your problems. While I know they are super busy, I'm sure they will take care of you. If you want, I can put in a word.
Pm me some stats. (nothing identifiable...)

Hash Man

U mad bro? Try comunicating this in a nice way to tom or matt and they will figure out a way to make you happy. I amstill waiting on my heating jacket... Cause its not been released yet. I had the same issues as you, except i told them exatly what my problem was and suggested a solution like some extra columns and clamps. They are badabout mentioning their plans prematurely and not following through with stuff like lids and jackets. StAndard stuff they stock is shipped fast, obviously. Its easy to make a lid btw... An afternoon at tap plastics andsome work with a drill and flare and u will have what u need.

apollojmr

I am not mad..just let down. I am not hurting for by any means but I hate being promised something and not given it..I did however receive word from David that he is gonna get it out to me asap. So I guess time will tell. I bought a nice vac oven anyways so no worries there. I just know that back when I ordered this unit they were not very well known and I went to bat big time by starting blogs, youtube channels, and talking them up big time and all I expected in return was what I was promised as that was why I bought that day. I would have negotiated something else had I known it would have not been something they didnt have. Other than that I am happy with the extractor. I love the end product!

Hash Man

I am not mad..just let down. I am not hurting for by any means but I hate being promised something and not given it..I did however receive word from David that he is gonna get it out to me asap. So I guess time will tell. I bought a nice vac oven anyways so no worries there. I just know that back when I ordered this unit they were not very well known and I went to bat big time by starting blogs, youtube channels, and talking them up big time and all I expected in return was what I was promised as that was why I bought that day. I would have negotiated something else had I known it would have not been something they didnt have. Other than that I am happy with the extractor. I love the end product!

They are gonna treat u right whether u are starting blogs or not. We were talking about bhogart before u started the thread... The subject would have been discussed if u were here or not. Im sure they love the publicity but they are not giving discounts to post up on forums. Its kind of like u gave yourself a job and were mad when u didnt get paid.
I bought their first 2nd generation extractor and was told a lid would be available soon. I have come to terms with the fact that anything steel related will be handled fast, any extras and stuff they are"planning on dropping". May or may not ever come out... Like the heating jacket and the lids, or their pneumatic pump. All in all i am super happy with their level of customer service and hardware. What oven did u get?

Sextracts

It seems they sent me a 2.5 lb column with my 1lb. unit. It works but extremely long recovery times. At Kcar has this helped in removing any clorophyll pickup in extraction removing the need for further dewaxing?

Latest posts

Latest posts