What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Virginia breeders and growers

OldCharlie

Great job!
How was the quality?
It's hard to find the right strain for outdoors.
Least spot Septoria is a major problem for me, then later budrot.
Everything wants to mold . Best luck I had outside was from an early finishing Purple Satellite.

What strain were you running?

Yep in VA, it's a matter of harvesting before the dreaded bud rot hits. I would take buds right before the rains. I ran a shitload of good imported strains, had them all tagged but alas, when you are a guerilla harvesting in the field it's hard to keep them separate so it's a real potpourri once they are in the jars. So here's what I started with in the spring when I popped the seeds:

World of Seeds Medical Collection Northern Lights x Big Bud
Serious Seeds AK-47
MegaBuds Seeds Giant Skittlez
Reserva Privada Purple Wreck
T H Seeds French Cookies
Emerald Triangle Seeds G13 X Blueberry Headband
Barneys Farm Seeds Blue Gelato 41
Dutch Passion Seeds Frisian Dew
Kannabia Seeds Mataro Blue
Reserva Privada OG Kush #18
Bomb Seeds-THC Bomb
Expert Seeds Northern Lights
Barneys Farm Seeds Blueberry OG
Barneys Farm Seeds Peyote Cookies
Dutch Passion Seeds C-Vibez
Kannabia Seeds Purple Kush
Humboldt Seed Organization Passion Fruit Punch
World of Seeds Medical Collection Northern Lights x Big Bud
DNA Genetics Seeds LA Confidential
DinaFem-Purps#1
Pheno Finder Seeds Blue Sherbalato
G13 Labs Seeds Blueberry Gum #2
G13 Labs Seeds C99
Karma Genetics Seeds White OG S1
TH Seeds StrawBerry Glue
Green House Seeds The Church
Dinafem Seeds Purple Afghan Kush
DNA Genetics-Holy Grail Kush
World of Seeds-Afghan Kush
Greenbud Seeds-WW x AK47 Early version
Greenhouse Seeds-Franco's Lemon Cheese

rizraz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anywhere near Central VA/Charlottesville area?

I'm heading to South West VA but I've got a friend who just relocated to Charlottesville who I'll be coming to see. Love to connect. Always down to trade gear.

Crazy Chester

I thought about the Virginia thread when I caught this great interview of legendary Overgrow forum member, "Skunk VA", who was Virginia based. His recounting of Virginia in the late 1980s and early 1990s was fascinating concerning the Chemdog, Chem D, Chem's sister, Mass Super Skunk and other early SSSC seed offerings in the 1980s, the origins of Sour Diesel, NYCD and the OGs. In any event, growers in Virginia back then figured prominently in the history of those plants. Here's a link to the 3+ hour long audio interview of "Skunk VA", if anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zizcd3O92ps&t=4740s

OldCharlie

Thanks Crazy Chester, definitely gonna fire this up on youtube after a good smoke tonight. Back in the 80's I was good friends with a guy from Nelson County, which is 1/2 hour from me, and he had access to the skunk strains of which you speak. Schuyler Skunk is what he called it. (Schuyler is a town in Nelson County). Nelson county is like the Mendocino of the East, lots of wide open mountain country to grow fields of great weed.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I thought about the Virginia thread when I caught this great interview of legendary Overgrow forum member, "Skunk VA", who was Virginia based. His recounting of Virginia in the late 1980s and early 1990s was fascinating concerning the Chemdog, Chem D, Chem's sister, Mass Super Skunk and other early SSSC seed offerings in the 1980s, the origins of Sour Diesel, NYCD and the OGs. In any event, growers in Virginia back then figured prominently in the history of those plants. Here's a link to the 3+ hour long audio interview of "Skunk VA", if anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zizcd3O92ps&t=4740s

That's exactly the reason I started this thread.
He mentioned the "fairfax fourway". Did any of you guys have experience with that?
I had a fourway when I first started out. I'm not sure if it's the same one. It was the skunkiest clone iv grown

Crazy Chester

That's exactly the reason I started this thread.
He mentioned the "fairfax fourway". Did any of you guys have experience with that?
I had a fourway when I first started out. I'm not sure if it's the same one. It was the skunkiest clone iv grown
Sounds great! I haven't gotten to that part of the interview yet, but I'll peel my ears for it. I'm not from Virginia - I just figured I'd post the interview here because it sounds like growers from Virginia were on the cutting edge of what was available nationwide back then. I had never heard of "fourway" before you noted it - sounds real nasty! A lot of people who weren't hooked into those growers circles back then (like me) thought the "roadkill skunk" - and I remember smoking that back then - was Skunk #1 - it never made sense to me because I thought Skunk #1 was too sweet to ever smell like that. But, it sounds to me like it may have been Super Skunk and what growers bred out of that SSSC seed stock back then was the one that smelled like a skunk's spray. I have absolutely no experience growing it; but, recently I've become interested in it due to the Skunk VA interview I posted. It's my good fortune you have first hand experience with it, or a relative derived from it. Your thoughts on it have been very helpful - thank you.

EDIT: I posted the link before I read any of the thread - then I went to your first post and see you had referenced it - lol!

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
There was some beautiful lime green skunk weed in the mid 90s that was great. Also some if not the best weed I ever smoked was another strain that was insane, sticky as hell, scissors required to cut to roll a joint. It was different than the good skunk pot. I'd love to have been smart enough to made seeds back them

Crazy Chester

There was some beautiful lime green skunk weed in the mid 90s that was great. Also some if not the best weed I ever smoked was another strain that was insane, sticky as hell, scissors required to cut to roll a joint. It was different than the good skunk pot. I'd love to have been smart enough to made seeds back them
I know what you mean about that type of weed - I came across it too back then, but only rarely. It was definitely a step above the regular "skunk" available. I wasn't smart enough to save seeds and grow them out when I first started getting into pot either.

And, talk about unfortunate - the first pot I ever bought was a "dime bag" of colombian gold in 1982. It had plenty of seeds in it, but I had no respect or use for them back then, so I ate them. Actually, considering the nutritional value of cannabis seeds, maybe it was smart of me to eat them - but, way less smart than growing them out and having 40 year old colombian gold mommies and daddies to play with over those decades that have passed since would have been...:wallbash:

OldCharlie

Yep I remember the old days of Columbian, Acapulco Gold and Panama Red at $20/oz. I had this big round metal tray and broke up a bud on it and all those big dark shiny seeds came rolling out, and the pot was excellent. Tshirts that said Grow Your Own, or had the ZigZag man on the front or Keep on Truckin'.

OldCharlie

Yep I remember the old days of Columbian, Acapulco Gold and Panama Red at $20/oz. I had this big round metal tray and broke up a bud on it and all those big dark shiny seeds came rolling out, and the pot was excellent. Tshirts that said Grow Your Own, or had the ZigZag man on the front or Keep on Truckin'.

...and does anyone remember those Rorer 714's?

Crazy Chester

Yep I remember the old days of Columbian, Acapulco Gold and Panama Red at $20/oz.
Dang - I got ripped off! My dime bag was only about a quarter ounce, so if an ounce were available, it would have been about $40. If only I could have the chance to pay double the fair price for colombian gold again - I'd gladly do so...

Latest posts

Latest posts