What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Substitute for Advanced Nutrients products

IngFarmer

Ok so I grow in coco and I just finished a grow and will start another one pretty soon.
I've used some advanced nutrient products and the price is just a lil bit crazy..as compared to hesi for example..but I also love the fact that advanced nutrients introduces those bacteria in the root zone and stuff...
so taking into account that where i live I can get products from only these brands : 1)Advanced Hydroponics, 2) Ata Organics, 3) Atami B'cuzz, 4)bio canna, 5)ghe, 6) growth technology, 7)guana kalong, 8)Plagron, 9)bio bizz

does anyone have a cheap but equaly good or better? substitute for

1)advanced nutrient voodoo, tarantula and piranha..

2)AN Bud Candy..

3)Rhino Skin(the silicate stuff...)

the idea is to keep the andvanced nutrients base for their ph perfect sense, and to use big bud, b52 and overdrive and maybe nirvana...and find some good substitutes for what I listed...

so over to you guys...let the advice flow in....

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
Do NOT mix any AN line with anything else, there's multiple known problems including some chelated minerals dropping out of solution

Hesi nutes work but they're a bit industrial, hard to flush clean IMHE

If you can get Bio canna can you get Canna?

IngFarmer

Do NOT mix any AN line with anything else, there's multiple known problems including some chelated minerals dropping out of solution

Hesi nutes work but they're a bit industrial, hard to flush clean IMHE

If you can get Bio canna can you get Canna?

Thanks for your advice, yes I can get canna...I used to use canna, what put me off them was that crazy price of their boost and rhizotonic, the price of the boost alone send the sum totol cost almost equal with those of advance nutrients..I then started to opt for advanced nutrients...anyway thanks soo much for your time and response and the wonderful information you give...
I will think things through and hopefully I make the right choice...

matt11

House and garden nutrient line is what you want. A little on the expensive side, but well worth the extra $. I know your looking for something on the cheaper side, but I though I would suggest it.

I switch to house and garden a few years ago for my coco and DWC crops and yields and quality has been phenomenal compared to anything else I've used (including AN)

.now I don't use anything else, the extra cost is totally justified with the final outcome.

linky

Jacks 3 2 1, calcium nitrate, magnesium sulfate (epsom salt) for good results and cheap.

Canna line is good as well, boost is expensive because of the Triacontanol in it, that is expensive and a timely process to get/make/process or whereever it comes from lol

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Any all of them will work.... nutrient brand does not really matter.... or you could drop the bud candy etc etc stick with the a+b base with some calmag n do just as good if not better.... if up to it any pk boost .... the plants don't need a bunch of bottles regardless what hydro store guys and nute company's tell u... but if your looking for cheap, jacks wins by a long shot then GH flora , Maxi bloom, veg n bloom, flora Nova are 2ND, if u want to spend more u get into canna hg atami bio.... these are more marketed for cannabis but just cause it costs more def don't make it better the key word is marketed ...
Personally I tend to stay away from products that try to cater to cannabis the cooler the label the more reason to avoid it the company's really are just taxing Ya cuz they did not reinvent the wheel but no they can get extra with the unknowing public.... save your $$$ on nutes put it into environment n genetics ...

Chronicbs

5 gallons of blackstrap molasses is what I replaced stuff like bud candy with. Was less than $50 shipped from an online restaurant supply supply store. I use a turkey baster to squirt some into a bottle and shake it up before I add it to the Rez.

http://http://www.webstaurantstore.com/golden-barrel-5-gallon-sulfur-free-blackstrap-molasses/125BLKSTPP.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=CjwKEAiAn7HEBRDHwNqitoWqsQcSJAADWmI2Wo7bhZ9shHpHkfMXRnBUZ2nGwIw_pV9aIdbe5cYboBoCRhzw_wcB

For silica it's really simple to buy it by the powder (agsil 16h) and mix it yourself and save 80%+ of the cost compared to the water based ones. Just be safe and use a dust mask when mixing it as it is not safe to inhale. The 5lb bag from this link for $22 would treat 4,480 gallons @ 33 ppm compared to a gallon of silica blast; 757.5 gallons @ 30ppm

http://http://www.mbferts.com/Agsil-16H-Potassium-Silicate-Soluble-Silica-Powder-545.htm

Chronicbs

A super cheap but awesome replacement for expensive enzymes like advanced nutrients sensizyne (others brand being cannazyme and hygrozyme) for a fraction of the cost. Pond Zyme! Treats 16,000 gallons for under $20. Especially important if u reuse your Coco as it breaks down dead organic matter. (Old roots) but it also helps keep roots white, healthy and rot free.

http://https://www.amazon.com/Pondcare-Pond-Zyme-Enzymatic-Cleaner-1-Pound/dp/B000OVCI2S

http://https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=111148

As for benefial fungi and bacteria I've been using mycoswp and think it's OK.. when roots poke through the airpots they're nice and fuzzy. I use root excellerator still though too in veg and cloning. Most expensive thing I use now. Looking to replace that too. I'd love to hear of more super cheaper alternatives for the Bennie's.

JimmyToucan

Any all of them will work.... nutrient brand does not really matter.... or you could drop the bud candy etc etc stick with the a+b base with some calmag n do just as good if not better.... if up to it any pk boost .... the plants don't need a bunch of bottles regardless what hydro store guys and nute company's tell u... but if your looking for cheap, jacks wins by a long shot then GH flora , Maxi bloom, veg n bloom, flora Nova are 2ND, if u want to spend more u get into canna hg atami bio.... these are more marketed for cannabis but just cause it costs more def don't make it better the key word is marketed ...
Personally I tend to stay away from products that try to cater to cannabis the cooler the label the more reason to avoid it the company's really are just taxing Ya cuz they did not reinvent the wheel but no they can get extra with the unknowing public.... save your $$$ on nutes put it into environment n genetics ...

This^^^^.

Jacks Citrus (higher in Sulphur)
Gypsum/Epsom Salts (Ca, Mg)

If you want to step it up:

Food Grade DE (silica, contact pesticide, high CEC)
SP-90 (humid acid)
Sea-90 (trace ocean minerals)
Kelp/Seaweed (hormones)
Alfalfa Meal (hormones)
Aloe Vera powder (rooting cuttings - salicylic acid)
SM-90 (root health, surfactant, drip clean)
Potassium Sulfate (K boost)

No catchy names, goofy labels, not marked up to take advantage of growers who think MJ is a magical mystery plant that needs 17 different bottles of stuff to grow well. Cheap too! Also, shipped free from Amazon. (except for the citrus, which can be replaced with classic).

CalMag

Veteran
I used growth technology (ionic), the pack..

Then i switched to A+B Canna coco because i use a lot of nutes.

I bought the 2x10l tanks, i use rhyzotonic (canna) and i have cannazym too.

Yeah calmag from growth tech also.

In the last run i used just A+B, rhyzo for 1 week and calmag when i needed. If you want you can get 1l of pk13/14 and its done..

I grow in a very clean space, everything washed with clorin (dont know the name in english, "Cl" is the name) and with antibacterial(alcol and one thing more inside)

Don't need any bacteria like in voodo or stuff, i use chemical nutes, nothing of organic and if everything is clean and setup too then i don't think Someone will notice the results.

For the silicate, growth technology have it.. its good if your plants are stressed because of high temps..

If setup is ok(not too high temps), you can also don't buy it.. a fan pointed on the stems will help them get bigger.

Probably some carbo, calmag, pk, A+B and nothing more will be just better than just A+B..

Carbo is essential, but it will work just like an extra supplement in this case..

Edit: I read some times ago that silicate can make the taste less clean.

gr866

Veteran
Thanks for your advice, yes I can get canna...I used to use canna, what put me off them was that crazy price of their boost and rhizotonic, the price of the boost alone send the sum totol cost almost equal with those of advance nutrients..I then started to opt for advanced nutrients...anyway thanks soo much for your time and response and the wonderful information you give...
I will think things through and hopefully I make the right choice...

IMHO, Canna is tit's, a bit pricy but you don't have to go with the program, A&B 300 to 400 ppm or around 3.3 ml/gal for veg and 400 to 500 or 4.5ml/gal for flower, Boost around the 11 ml/gal. I use GH rhizo as a drench during veg. I have switched GH KoolBloom 0/10/10 for Cannas PK. only use it for three weeks. Again it works and you can do it cheaper even with there nutes.
I have has successful grows with H3ads formula for coco. But I prefer Canna.

GR

I love the Advanced sensi coco line! Shits easy! Low maintenance. I use voodoo, trantula, and piranha. Well worth the cost! I guarantee you won't have flys or gnats. I have trouble with the Big Bud coco when I add Bud factor x, it won't dissolve completely into the nutrient solution. It won't hurt anything but clogs my drip lines :( The only product I don't like from them is B-52. I can't get a good bottle of that. It will have lil black specks in it kinda like pepper. Grower support says Do not use it if it looks like that. So I need to find an alternate sorce for b vitamins. Bud candy flavors the bud and makes everything taste the same. So that actually makes 2 products of theirs I don't like. Enjoy your grow :)

IngFarmer

So after pondering over the soo many different informations I got, I decided to try a mix of advanced nutrient and hesi although I was adviced against it, I wanted to test it for myself to see and well I had them so why not try :D,

so base nutrient : hesi coco(meant for bloom)
then ;

hesi super vitamins,
hesi powerzyme
voodoo juice(AN),
big bud (AN),
nirvana(AN),
silicon+(ESSENTIALS HYDROPONICS),
overdrive(AN)
and for flushing I used
FLAWLESS FINISH(AN)
once every two weeks or so I gave magnesium I bough from the pharmacy, before buds started forming as foliar spray, after buds formed right in the tank...

YIELD WAS 52% HIGHER THAN USING ONLY HESI!!! i have to admit that the plants were vegged a little bit more than the previous grows, but hell...I was not expecting such increase in yield...

next time I will add tarantula and piranha to increase the root mass and add some molasses every two watering to replace the advanced nutrients microbial munch...
and I will be replacing the advanced nutrient overdrive with the hesi pk13/14...will update after after harvest :D

Last edited:
Awesome IngFarmer! You should give AN sensi a go sometime. Its just as good as their other products. And very easy to use. Hands down my favorite additive is Bud Ignitor! Shits pricey but you only use it the first 2 weeks so a lil bottle of it could do a few plants. I like your nutrient line glad it worked out for ya! You should consider using an enzyme. The Hesi super vitamins are b vitamins? I'm looking for an alternative to B-52. Keep up the good work bruh!

Fatty Bubba

So after pondering over the soo many different informations I got, I decided to try a mix of advanced nutrient and hesi although I was adviced against it, I wanted to test it for myself to see and well I had them so why not try :D,

so base nutrient : hesi coco(meant for bloom)
then ;

hesi super vitamins,
voodoo juice(AN),
big bud (AN),
nirvana(AN),
silicon+(ESSENTIALS HYDROPONICS),
overdrive(AN)
and for flushing I used
FLAWLESS FINISH(AN)
once every two weeks or so I gave magnesium I bough from the pharmacy, before buds started forming as foliar spray, after buds formed right in the tank...

YIELD WAS 52% HIGHER THAN USING ONLY HESI!!! i have to admit that the plants were vegged a little bit more than the previous grows, but hell...I was not expecting such increase in yield...

next time I will add tarantula and piranha to increase the root mass and add some molasses every two watering to replace the advanced nutrients microbial munch...
and I will be replacing the advanced nutrient overdrive with the hesi pk13/14...will update after after harvest :D

With all due respect, and not trying to put you down, but
You coul'd have done the same with just Canna A&B base nutes, Little reasoning & enviroment control. People shouldn't overthink these things. Those phancy ass bottles of boosters and microbial muncher aint't gonna do you shit.

Think smart and you get off easier.

IngFarmer

With all due respect, and not trying to put you down, but
You coul'd have done the same with just Canna A&B base nutes, Little reasoning & enviroment control. People shouldn't overthink these things. Those phancy ass bottles of boosters and microbial muncher aint't gonna do you shit.

Think smart and you get off easier.

with all due respect, I will not defend any bottle of advanced nutrients but their voodoo juice and piranha which I have used DOES WORK !!! the roots were more massive, nobody can tell me shit about personal experience...at least with their root enhancers I saw a massive different...sooo....EXPERIENCE is everything...
I know lots of ppl are hating soo much on advance nutes because of big mike...but I don't get it..if it works..it works...is not a matter of using the whole line, just balancing it and finding what works for you...

and REMEMBER my aim is to get a good grow at a cheap price, the price of a liter of canna boost and CANNA RHIZOTONIC cost me HALF of all that I have listed there...so do the maths and weigh the buds at the end and get back to me...

Last edited:

IngFarmer

Awesome IngFarmer! You should give AN sensi a go sometime. Its just as good as their other products. And very easy to use. Hands down my favorite additive is Bud Ignitor! Shits pricey but you only use it the first 2 weeks so a lil bottle of it could do a few plants. I like your nutrient line glad it worked out for ya! You should consider using an enzyme. The Hesi super vitamins are b vitamins? I'm looking for an alternative to B-52. Keep up the good work bruh!

well, I dropped AN Bud Ignitor because a grower who tried it said there were no more bud sites on the plants he used it on as compared to the other plants he didn't use it on..and well..I don't really need more bud sites, before I flip into flower I already know how many main bud sites I have by looking at the plants..and that is enough..too many bud sites also leads to popcorns which I hate with a passion, we all want those big fat nugs!!!

the HESI supervit should contain all vitamins and minerals hence all the B group! ADVANCED NUTRIENTS b-52 is rather specific, hesi is general, know that the general contains the specific, the specific does not contain the general, and the price of the hesi super vit is also very cool..so cheap , taking into account you need just a drop of it for 4 liters of water, but with advanced nutrients b52 you will need 2ml for a liter of water, you will finish that bottle before you can say jack if you have a big grow going on...

Last edited:

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
House and garden nutrient line is what you want. A little on the expensive side, but well worth the extra $. I know your looking for something on the cheaper side, but I though I would suggest it.

I switch to house and garden a few years ago for my coco and DWC crops and yields and quality has been phenomenal compared to anything else I've used (including AN)

.now I don't use anything else, the extra cost is totally justified with the final outcome.

I thought General Hydroponics was expensive. Might try, but using over 70 gallons.