What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Butane honey oil for dummies

Metatron

Did a run of BHO today and tried something a little different with my purging. I still used fresh flower but for my purge I did hot tap water then coffee hot water and a 3o min sun bath.

Thank you ladies and gentlemen I made some amber today!

When I scraped this time I made some real good looking amber but was still on the goey consistency. But after letting it sit for over 6 hours I've been able to roll it into a ball. I'd post pics but my macro photography blows, sorry they come out blurry.

Thanks everyone again for all the help.

M-

dope_roor

Sorry Metatron, I took your first post to mean you were looking for a BHO thread , and you were in THE BHO thread.
I'm in the same boat as you, re: everyone else gets glass 'cpet us.
I see Jump has answered that ... THCA vs THC . THCA = glass, THC = not glass.
Today I vacuum purged heated BHO ( with an industrial vacuum pump/heating system) and still ended up with somewhat gooey BHO that , wasn't hard and brittle.
I aslo did the same thing with some BHO , washed in ISO ( thanks to the puritans in gov. I can't get ethanol) and filtered, then vacuum purged. No difference. Still not glassy. All my BHO was made from long cured bud. ( High THC vs THCA ratio I suspect ...as I can't measure that)
I'll try fresh ( not cured) bud for my next BHO run and see what happens.

have you tried to lightly raze the top of the oil with a hand held butane torch? multiple passes with time to cool in between should produce a shattery like consistency

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
Special thanks to HMK!

Special thanks to HMK!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgnOJXIvu6s
picture.php

Can't believe that she needs my love so bad
picture.php

Come sneaking around trying to drive me mad
picture.php

Bustin' in all my dreams, making me see things I don't want to see
picture.php

Cause you're the green manalishi with the two-pronged crown

ogwax818

hey everyone just want to share sum info im new here. So last night i got some o.g non stable oil, it had a semi golden yellow color to it when u put it up in the light. So i put in the freezer over night and when i see it the next day its really hard candy. till i started poking it and try whipping it with my pick. its stars to turn into a taffy candy type then it starts to turn into budder earwax. which looks like this. (sorry for the phone image). Im wondering how do people transform it to stable earwax?thanx
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/waver818/IMG00099-20100902-1116.jpg

bigwity

Veteran
so how do you turn your bho into black hash. the peeps i smoke with sometimes always have black squidgy hash and im sure they start with bho they sell it at high prices as nepelese but it isnt. they wont divulge there method other than its bho base. its some good shit

dingbat

easy, you take bho and kif or hash. the you heat up the bho and stir in the kif or hash. now you have what we call jelly hash. the more kif/hash you add the more it looks like black or blonde putty hash.

Ryu

Yep but watch out it ain't iso with ground up leaves as being sold round here as 'uber squidge'.

Not a patch on bho and kif, no taste to compare

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
G13, ERSB, OPIUM and CHEMD Popcorn buds get the royal treatment: BHO Blends

G13, ERSB, OPIUM and CHEMD Popcorn buds get the royal treatment: BHO Blends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1YVQioYgxg
picture.php

Dancing days are here again as the summer evenings grow
picture.php

I got my flower
picture.php

I got my power
picture.php

I got a woman who knows
picture.php

I said it's alright
picture.php

You know it's alright
picture.php

I guess it's all in my heart
picture.php

You'll be my only
picture.php

My one and only
picture.php

Is that the way it should start?
picture.php

Crazy ways are evident
picture.php

In the way that you're wearing your clothes
picture.php

Sippin' booze is precedent
picture.php

As the evening starts to glow
picture.php

:tiphat:

Mud Man

Sumthink Stinks
Veteran
where have i been.,.,.. too much... i will never be the same.. let this thread bubble and bho forever :) great work, this thread is sick and i can't wait to get some shots in here..

daheadies

poppin' outta control
I agree thank you everyone for making this thread i cant believe its taken me this long to find it.. I have been trying to make amber for a bit now (ever since I smoked it for the first time) but have been in the same boat as Metatron and SB7..
Metatron - When you successfully made amber, did you soak your buds in a bath for a extended period of time, or run the butane through a extraction tube? So you didnt use any alcohol? was your finished product brittle legit amber??
Can anyone confirm what dooproor said about putting a torch over the oil to make it brittle?
Hashmasta - you use fresh buds I assume? you just let the butane evap naturally in sun or over heat? but no purge using water or any other wash solution..??
Does ANYONE know why people would put glass or syran wrap over the top of the pyrex dish when the butane is evaporating out???

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Does ANYONE know why people would put glass or syran wrap over the top of the pyrex dish when the butane is evaporating out???

To keep atmospheric contaminants out. The vapors will escape anyway.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
To keep atmospheric contaminants out. The vapors will escape anyway.

i found out aways back that keeping a lid on my oil made it purge much more easily. if you consider an open dish of oil, hot underneath but exposed to open air, it becomes apparent that bottom heating, although helpful, is not as effective as top heating would be, because the top surface will be cooled by air contact. i use two methods to keep the purging surface of my oil warm, one, with a butane torch on medium flame power very carefully used a little bit, and also by applying a lid to keep the top surface warm, to allow faster purging. it does keep the terpenes out of the purging area too, im not sure if more terpenes remain in the oil though..

daheadies

poppin' outta control
awesome! thanks.. when you say "with a butane torch on medium flame power very carefully used a little bit" are your obviously putting the butane on the bottom of the pot, but are you using it directly (but carefully) onto the pot w/ the oil, or a double boil? and when you say "used a little bit", do you just mean dont over do it with the heat? Sorry I didnt understand the first time =)

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
i heat the surface of the oil where butane bubbles are apparent in quantity, but very gently. hardly let the torch heat touch the surface, just enough to melt it enough to make the bubbles pop. sometimes they dont even catch on fire, if you are super gentle.

Shred42O

hmk if you think its possible i would love to just see a video of you making your bho
i think it can be very helpful for the amatures to see a true professional do it,
because i bet over the years you have repeated your self many many times and a video link could make it alot easier to show how a true connoisseur makes his bho
just an idea

greenjoe

i heat the surface of the oil where butane bubbles are apparent in quantity, but very gently. hardly let the torch heat touch the surface, just enough to melt it enough to make the bubbles pop. sometimes they dont even catch on fire, if you are super gentle.
I use a blow dryer? My oil does look like honey but stays soft for days, it doesn't get hard,or i smoke it too fast.

bigwity

Veteran
easy, you take bho and kif or hash. the you heat up the bho and stir in the kif or hash. now you have what we call jelly hash. the more kif/hash you add the more it looks like black or blonde putty hash.

Yep but watch out it ain't iso with ground up leaves as being sold round here as 'uber squidge'.

Not a patch on bho and kif, no taste to compare
the stuff i get tastes faintly of bho if i had never had bho or nice black hash id be none the wiser. they are selling it at stoopid prices to. it does fuck you up though.

also i wanna know about letting your weed sit in butane as i have always passed mine through a tube i like the idea of stewing it in butane as i have never achieved honey bho alway muddy bho. :tiphat::ying::tiphat:bigwity