What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone Else Suffer From Insomnia

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I would still wear this with a CPAP (or BPAP). The graphs plot every 4 seconds but it records every second. I can see the waves of breathing and then dropping O2. This may be something I have done all my life. I think the first memory I have as a child is that same damped oscilation feeling as I went to sleep, that I see on the plot! My deal is just when I lay down, but the O2 drops down in the 80's, and I am conscience and aware while it is. I can just imagine what was going on when I would pass out after drinking a case of beer, every night. I was sure sleepy at work the next afternoon.

The vibe alarm that you can set (intensity, O2 level) is the best feature, recording just allows you to figure out the next day what went on. You can also set it to vibe on pulse rate, but I don't. The movement sensor is useful in seeing if the O2 event is before or after movement. Mine is always after laying down.

Edit: So I have been studying up on the decrease in O2 when you lay down. I tried just laying down vs sitting at 8 in the evening, and the SPO2 drops 3-4 points. When I sleep it is back up there. Strange stuff. Ain't no telling what went on when I was drunk and passed out.

I can hear the vibe on the sound recorder, as well as me cussing cause it takes so long for my O2 to come back up when it drops (like 6 seconds, 10 heart beats), and the alarm to stop. The fitbit and apple watch are having to catch up. They have had the tech to measure SPO2, but didn't turn it on. I predict this company will get bought out by one of the big watch companies.

New info:

I am a "chest breather". I never use my belly to breath. Looks like I need to learn a new habit.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/lung-health-and-disease/learning-diaphragmatic-breathing

Last edited:

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
interesting.

that's what ibuprofen used to do to me.

i was at the $ store and just bought the Tylenol.

Didn't work, helped me sleep but the hangover sucks, for me.

might try ibuprofen in a week.

anybody ever try naproxen sodium (something like that) ?

it's a 4th common over the counter sort-of pain killer.
Ibuprofen used to be good for pain for me, but also irritates my stomach (though not as bad as Tylenol.) Even though it supposedly helps with inflamation, it seems to make it worse for me. Aleve (Naproxen sodium) has been the best for keeping pain tolerable. Puts it in check for several hours with no I'll effects.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Thanks. I am figuring this stuff out as I go. Last night was restless, and I ate two cookies around 2 am. It took some afrin last night before my sinuses were open enough to allow easy nose breathing. That is what let me finally get to sleep in the first place. The problem with even one squirt of that stuff is it makes my nose run all day.

I suspect I need to clean the house for the dust and dawg dander/hair. My nose got more stuff as I laid there in bed trying to sleep.

The med mafia will slap a CPAP on people at the drop of a hat, but is that really fixing the root cause, or bondo-ing over the real issue with air pressure? I also understand this is nothing about pain, which some people have. I think my waterbed helps with that aspect.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Gonna take the plunge on the new Apple Watch. Don't really like wearing a watch but it has pulseox ECG and sleep monitoring, so it will be for sleep and exercise (aka dog walks). Its not medical grade but could give some info on apneas and severity.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Like I said, I would get a ring first. It alarms. It doesn't care what position it is in, and it is ALWAYS recording, and if you want, displaying. I have mine set to where I tap it to see the data display. GL with that watch though.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/09/apple-watch-series-6-first-run-accuracy-spo2-sensor-data.html

I just came up with a thought. Back in my prime the Red Cross would come to work and get blood. They mailed a card with cholesterol numbers for each bleeding, and the dates. I would show it to chicks at bars (mid 80's when AIDS was a big scare), as proof that I was safe. It helped. The numbers that the ring shows could be used the same way, since people with wuflu have low O2.

Last edited:

Im'One

Good idea. A friend at home had no other symptoms except oxygen sat levels were dangerously low.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I started doing SPO2 measurements for WuFlu, but quickly started chasing being out of breath and tired as my focus. Plus, I got my Volcano Hybrid at the same time and I wanted to see what affects it was having on my lungs as I vaped off the terps.

One of the news media claims were that people were coming in with no wuflu symptoms except low SPO2, which they didn't know that they had. That is why I bought the fingertip meter I started with. Those soon became hard to get, but they have those rings available.

For now.

At least the fingertip deal doesn't make me grovel to get a reading, like the apple watch says it will. Some have a "perfusion index", whatever that is. I like the little graph, but the ring has it in a bar format. The one I have is "nature spirit", and looks like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Innovo-D...-007-174abfcd49e615&athancid=null&athena=true

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I'm thinking the watch just came out and there will be more warez available for it. Another thing I read was that your wrist has to be positioned correctly to get good readings. They tell you that it is not a medical device so, if you buy it, you can only expect so much....

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Edibles made from a heavy indica along with 10mg of melatonin taken 30 minutes after the edible is consumed put me on a dream cloud. Stress and depression certainly don't help (this year has been full of it.) That combo has been a miracle for my insomnia and delayed sleep phase syndrome.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I'm thinking the watch just came out and there will be more warez available for it. Another thing I read was that your wrist has to be positioned correctly to get good readings. They tell you that it is not a medical device so, if you buy it, you can only expect so much....

I must have read the same review.
I use the watch for heart rate. Comparing the watch to the finger clamp has the wrist consistently reading 2 to 5 points lower O2 than the finger. Occasionally in the 80's, which I know for certain is incorrect.

Now that I am in the Hospice program I have a nurse making house calls taking my vitals every Wednesday with expensive professional grade tools.

Two different medications for anxiety knock me out for the night very reliably. I do not like the morning after so do not use them unless in dire need.

billy_big_bud!

Proud Cannadian Cannabist
Veteran
one other technique i incorporate which im not sure if i mentioned is ice packs on your head. very helpful at slowing down brain activity.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I must have read the same review.
I use the watch for heart rate. Comparing the watch to the finger clamp has the wrist consistently reading 2 to 5 points lower O2 than the finger. Occasionally in the 80's, which I know for certain is incorrect.

Now that I am in the Hospice program I have a nurse making house calls taking my vitals every Wednesday with expensive professional grade tools.

Two different medications for anxiety knock me out for the night very reliably. I do not like the morning after so do not use them unless in dire need.

Hi Phaeton. I wish you the best. I just ordered the new version Apple Watch. It has pulseox and ECG. I'll give an update when it arrives.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Like I said, GL with that watch. A $30 fingertip would be better than begging a watch for a reading in 15 secs. IMO. But it an aapl, and so cool.

My drop when laying down is so consistent that I am going back to the lung doc with months of ring data. There are some people on web MD sites that also have this phenom, and it is usually blown off by responders. I can just imagine how low my O2 got when passed out from a case of beer, and a lot of smoke. It drops a lot when I am awake, and just lay down to see what happens. BTW, you will never see that on the watch.

I am going to tell him about stopping the Symbacort inhaler, because I am vaping the terps off flower. I tried the last time to ask about inhaling essential oils, and he didn't want to hear about it. I will say hemp, not pot though, cause no need to have illegal stuff on your record.

I was restless last night, even got up and ate two cookies. Probably from going to bed too early, but mostly because it rained and I didn't physically exert myself during the day. I need to get on "Silver sneakers", find a co-ed gym, and hit on rich old horny women.

Last edited:

Cuddles

I got insomnia too. First time was at college and it was a nightmare. eventually I tried this over the counter stuff called Nytol or something. man that stuff was shit. I´d still be up all night and didn´t get sleepy till morning - basicaly when I was suppose to get up and get ready for college. This went on and on. Then I tried cannabis and bingo! It totally helped put my sleeping cycle back on track.

But when I got insomnia again some years ago and I had no weed my GP prescribed me some meds. They work well but take several hours to kick in, so it´s not as quick as weed but it works. thank god.

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I had one for the record books last night. Woke for some reason to let the dawg out around 11:30, and could not get back to sleep even with good breathing, at all. I would lay there, trying to breath properly with my belly, and the damn vibe would start going off because the O2 dropped. This happens so often when I first lay down, that I will see a lung MD about it next week, but never this many times over and over. It takes about 6 seconds of heavy breathing to make the O2 rise, and the O2 will keep overshooting low, even with the deep breathing, as it is dropping. Just like it takes 3 seconds for a hit to go from the lungs to the brain, it takes longer for a deep breath to register in the blood O2.

I was actually laying there thinking WuFlu may be real, and I may have caught it. So after a few hours of that crap, around 3 AM I decided to get up, take some vit C and LDM -100 (in case I actually had wuflu), and do a couple hits of OGK in the hybrid (to get rid of it). Soon thereafter I was sleeping OK. I also opened a window in case the CO2 was the issue. Mighta ate a cookie. See the charts...

These readings were confirmed with a separate fingertip SPO2 I wore at the same time when things were getting out of hand. And to think, the news media was all excited about Trump going under 90 a couple times, like he was a goner.

Before (bad, really fuckin bad):

After OGK (good): You can see the activity around 3am while I got up and moved around to hit the vape hose.

Edit: There are other ring companies besides getwellue, but a damn appl watch will NOT give this kind of information and alarm when the O2 is low.

Last edited:

billy_big_bud!

Proud Cannadian Cannabist
Veteran
recently went through 3 days of no sleep and as a result developed a severe stuttering issue. even days later it still remains.