What's new

Why did you guys go to bare vertical lighting?

Megas

I would imagine this would be the best place to ask this?
Have you guys learned from doing this, have any of you gone back to using a reflector.
Do you prefer a cool tube or just open air?
Also is a 600w HPS able to perform alright or do you need a 1000w to make the best of this type of lighting?

I've checked out some great threads like Indoor Vertical Grow Systems 101
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=189454

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Megas, I'll quote a post I made 3 years ago that should explain why you should go bare bulb....

Here are some diagrams that I think Krusty made a few years ago to explain why vertical lighting works so well as opposed to horizontal.

LiDiagramB-1.jpg

lidiagrama.jpg

As you can see their are a few benefits to vertical lighting, Number 1 The majority of the heat produced by the HID is pushed upwards to your exhaust vs the horizontal hood that traps heat and directs it at your plant's. The main advantage to this is that you can put your plants closer to your bulb's without worrying about burning them, 1 grower I know can get his plants up to 6" from his 1000w bulb but keeps them back a few more inches due to the buds getting bleached from to much light!!

Number 2 The next benefit of vertical growing is that you will be using 360o of your light, you want to absolutely cover the outer diameter of the bulb with plants so barely any light can escape, this will give you the best efficiency, you will be blasting your plants with as many lumen's as possible. Compare this method to a horizontal garden, if you look at the diagrams you can see that a massive 75% of the light is reflected thus killing a lot of lumen's in the process, lumen's that I'd prefer getting to my plants, and after all less lumen's = less yield and we don't want that now do we!

HGO

Y

YosemiteSam

I did it to keep me alert watering...forget about them and they leave a mark.

Megas

That is a good chart, I guess a light meter would tell you but how much of the area below light is the dead zone?
Do you find this way creates stretchier plants vs. compact?
What is your rule of thumb for how high to keep the light?
I plan on only growing 5 plants in my next grow, so if I were to do this I would do a bit of a hexagon. Would I turn these plants a 1/4 turn like I would everyday like a normal plant or do they just sorta grow towards the light on the one side?

I'm having a hard time finding one but who makes a nice Pre-made socket assembly that can be used in a Lumatek or Nextgen ballast? The nices ones I have seen seem to only be for Sun Systems since they have the 2 prong plugs.
http://www.thehydrosource.com/Light...ord_16_Gauge?zenid=nvni38pg0540nk98t421qusum7

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran

that's fucked up. i got a big purple burn scar the size of a silver dollar on my shoulder to remind me not to get sloppy

bare bulbs = more light. worth it.

D

DHF

:laughing:....LMFAO.....Yeah Schrews Bro....that`s fucked up fosho....Got more war wounds than I careta talk about over the yrs.....

Yosemite....getchas some green eye task lights that hook on yer ear like bluetooth and work yer shit lights off.....

Got sick of backin into my bulbs and got smart....after multiple scars though.....but....

Started out with bare bulbs and never ran anything else cept cooltubes that I blew up with target practice after 1 pitiful excuse of a run that didn`t come anywhere close to my bare bulb regular results....

Rule of thumb on bulb placement is tip of bulb at tops of plants and raised all the way through end of stretch , and then drop em down where the top of the fixture/mogul socket is even with the tops till end of cycle....simple.....babyshit....

Good luck...DHF.....:ying:.....

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
DHF is "little" disengenious...he grows at one end of the knowledge spectrum while the rest of us try to catch up......he calls it "babyshit" the rest of us call it "how the fuck did you get 2 GPW AGAIN mo-fo?????"

picture.php

Megas

Tip of bulb at tops of plants
When they stop stretching top of the fixture/mogul socket is even with the tops.

About when do you guys find they stop stretching how many days in on average? This method seems like you would expect more stretch than a normal reflector since they aren't right under it. I have a feeling that might throw me off.

Thanks guys

ajc0k

that's fucked up. i got a big purple burn scar the size of a silver dollar on my shoulder to remind me not to get sloppy

bare bulbs = more light. worth it.

I feel you on that. I have a 3 inch scar on my tricep from my last vert grow.. tripped on a fucking pot and stumbled backward and paid for it, with my arm skin sizzling off and sticking to the lamp 2nd degree burn.

D

DHF

Mega.....LMAO....Disengenuous or wtf ever....:moon:.....Never hit 2 gpw in my life before havin to shutdown......but I would have.....just takes more plants.....however....

Best I did was with Chem D and 10 weeks bloom cycle for 98 ozs. +/- from 3 stacked 600`s and 64 plants on 4 walls....so...

That`s lil over 1.5 gpw in the first 8 flip rooms of racks I harvied over a 4 month period , so it was consistent and no fluke from beginning to end.....

1-1/2 oz plants ftw......How hard is it to grow a 42 gram plant....I mean....frealz....anyways....

Stretch is 40% of a plant`s bloom cycle and to be determined by growin them bitches.......Only way I ever figured it out....meaning....

It`s all strain dependent as to how they react to the bare bulbs compared to horizontal air cooled reflectors and where they`ll end up height wise before swellage sets in after end of stretch....and last but not least.....

Runs under yer belt to observe and remember for future dialage.....Good luck and......

Peace....DHF....:ying:.....

Last edited:

Jeeyah

Vert is the best. These guys know their shit. More canopy, better penetration, easier cooling.
I still have a horizontal setup, but my vert destroys it.

I like to scrog 6 smelly, stanky bitches per light with drippers. Just trying to decide between my faithful coco or my newly discovered waterfarms. lol

VAtransplant

1) I did a test to see if I could keep the temperatures under control and they ended up being lower than with my cool tube setup

2) Simplified ventilation, just one big fan pulling through scrubbers at the top of the tent, instead of a T on the intake of my fan with one side going through cool tube and out tent, and one going to a scrubber. I also tried my big fan pulling just thru cool tube and a separate stanley blower for scrubbers and it was somehow hotter than it is now doing bare bulb.

3) My cool tube was impossible to clean cause of it being 3' long. Not only would I have to untape ducting from it, but to clean all of it I would have had to take it out and scrub from both ends.

Loving it. Dunno what summer will bring though

Have given my hair a test of the bare vert recently... the only reason why I walked away was the bulb was at 60% of 1000w! I don't know if my plants are in the best spot yet... about 30 in 3gals off the floor in that middle zone. For me this is a way easier system of vegging with an MG, fans, and controlled temp. I won't be flowering this way though unless things change. I have a large space... 8k vert flower for 35 plants.. wonder what it would look like in 7gals :D

P

pine boy

I put a 400 with a hood in a 4x4 room and it didn't even get a chance.The hood might have made one day before I decided it had to go.
Bare bulbs,free standing,untopped plants for me.

G

Guest 226076

i think it is time to try my first vert,new room.thanks for all the info and happy trails............................

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mega.....LMAO....Disengenuous or wtf ever....:moon:.....Never hit 2 gpw in my life before havin to shutdown......but I would have.....just takes more plants.....however....

Best I did was with Chem D and 10 weeks bloom cycle for 98 ozs. +/- from 3 stacked 600`s and 64 plants on 4 walls....so...

That`s lil over 1.5 gpw in the first 8 flip rooms of racks I harvied over a 4 month period , so it was consistent and no fluke from beginning to end.....

1-1/2 oz plants ftw......How hard is it to grow a 42 gram plant....I mean....frealz....anyways....

Stretch is 40% of a plant`s bloom cycle and to be determined by growin them bitches.......Only way I ever figured it out....meaning....

It`s all strain dependent as to how they react to the bare bulbs compared to horizontal air cooled reflectors and where they`ll end up height wise before swellage sets in after end of stretch....and last but not least.....

Runs under yer belt to observe and remember for future dialage.....Good luck and......

Peace....DHF....:ying:.....

I'd kill for 1.5 GPW.....maybe even my own mother...for sure my mother- in law.

Megas

Who sells a Pre-made socket assembly that can be used in a Lumatek or Nextgen ballast? If they shit or are in Canada all the better. Any specific brands? Looking for one that can run a 600HPS no problem

Iraganji

Efficient use of space and energy. In a 7x7x7' room for instance, where do you put your body when you are working in there? It takes up floor space doesn't it? Hang one 1000w in the center of the room however, and you can push aside the floor fan and occupy that space to do your work. You now have the added benefit of having 4 7'x7' areas to place plants instead of just one.

Latest posts

Latest posts