What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How I got roots in 6 days.

slowandeasy

Veteran
Heeey! Sounds similar to when I pop plugs out of the pockets in my dome's tray. My cloning success rate is still abysmal though...tried almost every popular method (even bubble cloner) with varied success rates. Zero consistency!

Will give this a shot and see what happens.

Also, are you feeding the mom normal veg nutes? I've heard success rates increase when plants have more P. Kinda noticed this as well when I switched nute composition.

I feed 6/9 in veg with Coco. There are certain clones that may need to be trimmed. I am trying a few clones right now that are defoliated except the top growth. We shall see how they do, they are really big clones. Also took a couple smaller, still huge, clones and did not trim. First time cloning this strain, so we shall see.

Cloning in Coco is really easy, but I will admit, it took me a few attempts to get it down perfect everytime... Once you get it, it works better than any way I have tried....which is a TON!

SkizOflan

Easy,

I've always just cloned in rockwool cubes - how could this method of 'breathing' the coco be applied to rockwool? It seems that rockwool cubes are always 'breathing' in this sense; do you think there's something different or special about using coco your way that makes this technique more effective than rockwool cubes alone? Would cutting off the plastic wrapper around the cube allow it to breath more or provide more aeration..?

Just trying to understand how this is any different from cloning in rockwool cubes.

Thanks.

slowandeasy

Veteran
Easy,

I've always just cloned in rockwool cubes - how could this method of 'breathing' the coco be applied to rockwool? It seems that rockwool cubes are always 'breathing' in this sense; do you think there's something different or special about using coco your way that makes this technique more effective than rockwool cubes alone? Would cutting off the plastic wrapper around the cube allow it to breath more or provide more aeration..?

Just trying to understand how this is any different from cloning in rockwool cubes.

Thanks.

I do not use Rockwool, but a good way to find out would be to take the wrapper off of a few. I grow in Coco, so I figure why not clone in it too? The secret is the moisture level. Canna Coco is like 30 percent Oxygen even when soaked. Roots love oxygen, and seek water. If u over wet it slows things down by a shit ton. I take them out of the cup to get some fresh air, and it seems to really help. Roots usually appear within a day of doing this, starting on Day 5. Doing it before is prolly too soon, so I do not bother.

slowandeasy

Veteran
Update day 10

Getting 1/2 strength nutes now.

picture.php

other side of cup

picture.php

slowandeasy

Veteran
looks good man. can you get a picture of the bottom feed? like ebb n flow?

I just set it inside another cup with some nutes in it for a couple seconds, then lift it up. I like to do light dunkings more often vs soaking. Soaking defeats the purpose at this point. Just a few more days and I can top feed. Once the cup is full looking and they actually need watering often is when I soak everyday. I like the 9 oz cups because they fill the cup fast, once full the plant starts vegging faster. You will need to feed atleast 1 to 2 times per day, because the cups will dry out.

Since the cup will be full of roots, when you transplant...they take faster. Hope this helps. Take care.

Herborizer

Veteran
On Monday I bought some Canna coco. I followed the instructions, but I didn't use roots excellerator and I didn't soak the coco in any nutes. Just plain water and coco. The cutting is very happy with zero wilting or any other negative affect. We will see in a couple of days how it's going.

slowandeasy

Veteran
On Monday I bought some Canna coco. I followed the instructions, but I didn't use roots excellerator and I didn't soak the coco in any nutes. Just plain water and coco. The cutting is very happy with zero wilting or any other negative affect. We will see in a couple of days how it's going.

Just keep the Coco damp. They will root, but without a rooting hormone...it will take a bit longer. Dont expect roots in 6 days without a hormone. BTW, soaking them in Roots Excel and Gel is not needed...I just have both on hand. Once you see roots, hydrate on bottom this will promote the roots to grow down. When you soak, the roots do not grow as fast. If top layer drys out...just lightly dampen. Good luck, let me know how it goes!!

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I'm trying this with Readygrow coco (coco + perlite and a tiny bit of humic acid in it) in a tray of 50 holes with some big clones. I found that in my rockwool slabs I was getting a fungus or mold that was wilting the babies, soaking my slabs in Physan20 and Eagle20EW cut that to almost none so my rates went from 40% to 95% stuck. I also think the weak EWC tea I was using on them helped a lot too, have heard lots of guys doing well with EWC tea and clones.

slowandeasy

Veteran
Nice roots dude. looks like they love that extra oxigen.....

what u mean by bottom feeding?

I drill holes in the bottom of my cups, then dunk the bottom of the cup in water or nute water. Roots chase moisture, so if you drench the top of the soil, the roots do not have to go very far for moisture. You will also notice the difference in the thickness of the roots, if you drench the Coco they will be very thin and not grow fast. If you have the right moisture, they will be thick, white, and explode. Good luck.

slowandeasy

Veteran
I'm trying this with Readygrow coco (coco + perlite and a tiny bit of humic acid in it) in a tray of 50 holes with some big clones. I found that in my rockwool slabs I was getting a fungus or mold that was wilting the babies, soaking my slabs in Physan20 and Eagle20EW cut that to almost none so my rates went from 40% to 95% stuck. I also think the weak EWC tea I was using on them helped a lot too, have heard lots of guys doing well with EWC tea and clones.

Hey Lazyman, I have never used Ready Grow, but I think it dries out faster than straight Canna Coco. I have heard good things about EWC, but since I have Roots Excell and cloning gel and I get roots in 6 days, I am happy with that! I am going to try just the gel next round, but still pre-soak in water for 20 min. I think this helps them from wilting. I can clone without any hormones also, it just takes longer. But adding too much stuff can effect your chances also. Moisture level is more imortant than anything, so dont saturate and just keep damp. Temps around 80 helps speed things up. Good luck

BudToker

Veteran
This method caught my attention and I am now testing it with 4 cuts. 2 with rooting hormones and 2 without. I will post my results when avail!

- BT :joint:

slowandeasy

Veteran
This method caught my attention and I am now testing it with 4 cuts. 2 with rooting hormones and 2 without. I will post my results when avail!

- BT :joint:

Cool, good luck. You can also scrape the stems a little to speed things up. Just keep damp, do not overwater. I have this down to a science now. I took 4 clones and everyone had roots at 6 days again! So 100 percent rooted in 6 days, cant beat that!

If anyone is struggling on cloning, seriously give Coco a try. By far the best way I have ever cloned. I can take huge cuttings and get roots in less than a week everytime. Bubble cloning and Aero never gave me these results.

Herborizer

Veteran
No roots yet, but today is only 5th day and I didn't use hormone.

I just started two more cups. Here is what I did.

1. In a 500ml cup, I mixed up RO water and Clonex liquid (4ml), and PH'ed it to 5.8. Lets call this my clonex water solution.
  2. I also had a clean shot glass handy. I poured the clonex water solution into the shot glass to fill up the shot glass.
  3. I took a cutting off my mother. Cleaned it up all nice.
  4. I then dunked the whole cutting into the clonex solution that is in my 500ml cup. I let it sit fully submerged for a while. Maybe a couple of minutes.
  5. Then I took the cutting out and made my 45 degree cut. I put this into the shot glass.
  6. While the cuttings were sitting in the shot glass...
  7. I put some Canna Coco into a bowl.
  8. I took the clonex water solution in the 500ml cup, and I poured it into the bowl with the Coco.
  9. I mixed up the coco real nice and made sure there were no dry spots and chunks (by just mixing).
  10. Then I took handfuls of Coco out of the bowl, squeezed the liquid out (medium squeeze), and put into the cups without tamping down.
  11. I poked a hole in the center of the coco with a nail.
  12. I took a cutting from the shot glass and put it into the hole.
  13. I pushed on the coco around the stem to make sure it wasn't loose.
  14. I tamped down by dropping the cups on the table 3 times (from about 3-5 inches above the table. So it settle the coco a bit, but not too tight.
  15. I put about 1/2 inch of the clonex water solution in the outer cup (the one that blocks light). I then dipped the inner cup (the one with the coco and cutting in it) into the outer cup. This bottom feeds the cutting. I did this for only about 5-10 seconds.
  16. Whatever water solution that was left over in the outer cup, I dumped.
  17. I put the cups back together and then put on my heating pad.

Anyway, wish me luck!

slowandeasy

Veteran
No roots yet, but today is only 5th day and I didn't use hormone.

I just started two more cups. Here is what I did.

1. In a 500ml cup, I mixed up RO water and Clonex liquid (4ml), and PH'ed it to 5.8. Lets call this my clonex water solution.
  2. I also had a clean shot glass handy. I poured the clonex water solution into the shot glass to fill up the shot glass.
  3. I took a cutting off my mother. Cleaned it up all nice.
  4. I then dunked the whole cutting into the clonex solution that is in my 500ml cup. I let it sit fully submerged for a while. Maybe a couple of minutes.
  5. Then I took the cutting out and made my 45 degree cut. I put this into the shot glass.
  6. While the cuttings were sitting in the shot glass...
  7. I put some Canna Coco into a bowl.
  8. I took the clonex water solution in the 500ml cup, and I poured it into the bowl with the Coco.
  9. I mixed up the coco real nice and made sure there were no dry spots and chunks (by just mixing).
  10. Then I took handfuls of Coco out of the bowl, squeezed the liquid out (medium squeeze), and put into the cups without tamping down.
  11. I poked a hole in the center of the coco with a nail.
  12. I took a cutting from the shot glass and put it into the hole.
  13. I pushed on the coco around the stem to make sure it wasn't loose.
  14. I tamped down by dropping the cups on the table 3 times (from about 3-5 inches above the table. So it settle the coco a bit, but not too tight.
  15. I put about 1/2 inch of the clonex water solution in the outer cup (the one that blocks light). I then dipped the inner cup (the one with the coco and cutting in it) into the outer cup. This bottom feeds the cutting. I did this for only about 5-10 seconds.
  16. Whatever water solution that was left over in the outer cup, I dumped.
  17. I put the cups back together and then put on my heating pad.

Anyway, wish me luck!

Sounds good, did your clones wilt at all? If not, your golden. I do a couple things differently. I use my cup and push down on the Coco to drain water and pack down, then just fluff it back up a little. Make a hole, for clone and insert...then tamp down a little. It will make a plug, no need to drop from above. BTW I use Root Tech Gel, seems to work well.

I do not bottom soak again right away. No big deal that you did, it will just stay a little more moist for longer. Everyones set up is different, your cups may dry out faster or slower than mine. The key is just keeping Damp...not soaked.

What are the temps in your Clone area? Be careful with heating pads, they can make your stems turn to mush. If you are using one, I highly suggest thermostat for it. I used to use a heating pad, but if your temps are above 75, dont bother. Good luck!

Herborizer

Veteran
Never wilted. Actually, the one I did last Monday is the healthiest clone I have ever seen, from day one. Better than my AeroCloner even.

The first clone I did (I have 3 cups going now), I did push down on the coco to drain the water and pack down. With the new ones I did today, I tried the new method above.

My clone area is about 75F. My pad has a temp meter and set to 82F.

slowandeasy

Veteran
Never wilted. Actually, the one I did last Monday is the healthiest clone I have ever seen, from day one. Better than my AeroCloner even.

The first clone I did (I have 3 cups going now), I did push down on the coco to drain the water and pack down. With the new ones I did today, I tried the new method above.

My clone area is about 75F. My pad has a temp meter and set to 82F.

I would not lie, if you do this right you can take huge cuttings and they look perfect the whole time they root. Bubble cloners and Aero cloners always yellow on me.

I would just keep a good eye on your heat pad, I used one for many runs with a thermostat...and there will be hot spots on the pad. My clone cab sits at 80, so I do not use it anymore. You can always elevate your clones just a tad and that usually is a couple degrees warmer than the floor...For me the heating pad was a waste of energy and money, but my temps are perfect in the new clone cab. Good luck, I am sure you will like taking clones this way.