What's new

New study on potted plants and root growth. Plants learn their limitations early

bad gas

People on this site have been recommending larger pots for larger yield for some time. Good to see actual science on the subject.

I've been wondering if container shape has the same effect. For example, an oblong shape vs a round or square container of the same volume.

I can buy a plastic horse trough for the same money as a good trashcan. I uppotted to 5 gal buckets for veg. Whatever I do for flower will have to be bigger. This is indoors with 2 1/2 plants in soil.

Maybe we should give up containers and plant multiple plants in a kiddie swimming pool.
The large plants outdoors guys get bigger plants from a mound rather than a huge container where the root area is restricted. Saw a side-by-side picture where the plant with unrestricted rootmass was a third bigger than one in a huge [2-300 gal?] container.

Thanks for posting this.

stay safe. bg

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Nurserymen have known this anecdotally for years. The main reason for starting many plants in small cups then replanting in larger containers and then again is to develop roots and not leaves & branches.

Root-Maker (the product) is a company that manufacturers a 'system' as they call it and there are several others. How these systems relate to indoor gardens is pretty baffling but YMMV.

The reason for producing plugs with massive roots is to re-sell to smaller nurseries who grow the plants to market size. By having reduced plant material you limit damage in shipping and related processes.

CC