What's new

have i murdered my seedlings?

D

DU420

Hey all I'm a little concerned about my bcbigbud seedlings their 11 days old and I overwatered them for the first 5 and I also added canna rhizotonic as it said it was ok for seedlings but now over the last 4 days my seedlings have gone from

pic a

https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=166828&stc=1&d=1337206175

to pic b.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=166829&stc=1&d=1337206175

But its only really effecting the bcbigbud so the shark attacks have purpling on their cotyledons but other than that and none of the plants have grown much over the last week. Infact they all look pretty much the same what should I do are they doomed?

Attachments

• IMAG0080_00151.jpg
    IMAG0080_00151.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMAG0082_00155.jpg
    IMAG0082_00155.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 9
Those seedlings need nutes now. Water immediately at 1/4 strength with veg formula. (I recommend Botanicare CNS17 or PBP.) They will probably make it through if you hurry. Don't use the rhizotonic at this stage; wait at least 3-4 weeks. Good luck.

D

DU420

WHAT? everyone's been telling me I've burnt them from too many nutes in the rhizotonic and I thought seedlings weren't supposed to have any nutes till 3rd set of true leaves. So I should be giving them nutrients? Can 11 day old seedlings show deficiencies?

D

DU420

Ok each 500ml pot got 1L of ph 6.5 water is that enough? Run off ph was 6.7 fingers crossed.....

WHAT? everyone's been telling me I've burnt them from too many nutes in the rhizotonic

This stuff is a hormone, not a nutrient.

and I thought seedlings weren't supposed to have any nutes till 3rd set of true leaves.

How exactly are they supposed to develop three sets of true leaves with no nutrients? How could I build a brick wall with no bricks?

What you read is overly simplified noob advice that keeps noobs from burning their plants. In truth, even a seedling needs nutes.

So I should be giving them nutrients? Can 11 day old seedlings show deficiencies?

Absolutely.

You need to add nutes. In 1/4 strength, just like I said. Don't flood it out, just trickle some down the stem, baby it for a few days, give it lots of light. It'll start to recover. Trust me bro...

D

DU420

Canna rhizotonic n 0.6 p 0.2 k 0.6
Gogo juice probiotic n 1 p 0.05 k 0.15

So that's what they got when the first pic was taken and four days later the second pic was taken.
Doesn't the seed and the cotyledons contain the nutrients for the first few weeks of growth? I'm not saying your wrong I appreciate the help i just want to double check first.

D

DU420

Ok well I've got some organic Charlie carp(fish emulsion) N 1.6 P .47 K .45 would you consider that quarter strength or should I still quarter that.

D

DU420

Right anyways its flushed now ill give it a few days and just water with plain water if no improvement over the next week ill either give some week fish emulsion or flush again I don't know...

Friend

Veteran
when the seedling is small it uses the nutrients from the soil....

as it gets bigger and the root system fills the container, it uses up all of the nutrients in the dirt. which is why you don't need to feed the plant until it's more established and the roots are bigger. before that, they have all they need and anything extra can burn them.

i could be wrong though

No, you are correct, Friend. The thing is, does his soil have any nutes in it? I am ASSuming not. I know that Promix and especially Coco contain very little nutes. It looks like he's using a "real" soil and not Miracle Grow, so I'm thinking nute burn from the soil is not a factor. If the rhizo stuff contains nutes then it's possible he burned it. I'm just saying, if it was me and my plant, knowing only the info that's posted in this thread......I would highly suspect it needs nutes. It won't hurt a thing to dribble a little weak nute solution down the stem and see if that improves it. Even if it were initially overfed, any flushing is going to leach nutes, and the plant will for sure suffer from a deficiency.

DU420: No offense taken here man, clearly you are smart in evaluating the advice given to you before rushing into anything. I think your plant is going to do just fine, and if not....you will have learned a lesson for the next time.

Regarding the cotyledons: they basically act as a nutrient "buffer", or storage for the plant when it's a seedling. When the seed pops they are tiny, but they grow because the plant is absorbing nutes from the soil/water. Eventually when the plant has enough big leaves, they are no longer needed. The key thing to know is, the presence of cotyledons does not absolve the plant of its need to get nutes from the soil.

D

DU420

Sorry guys i didnt give a full back story did i. The plants are growing in a non ammended soil, coco, perlite mix with alittle dolomite lime soil ph is 7, it was treated with a soil probiotic with a npk of 1,0.05,0.15 and received rhizotonic from day one which is why I didn't think it was a deficiency unless I had caused some sort of nute lock out and opted for the flush. If they don't improve over the next week I'll know I was wrong but the decline started after they had a feed of rhiz and gogo juice so im 80% sure that's what it was. They've also been over watered until day 5 or so.

D

DU420

Oh ok "420" user handle

Well there's not much I can say to that is there.....

I'm a noob in a state of panic I wasn't looking at names I just saw smurfs everywhere and got overwhelmed it won't happen again, sorry everyone.