What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What's the best stuff?

real ting

I thought it would be helpful to have a thread where we all shared our little equipment and tool secrets. This is the place to tell everyone about that little tool you found at a hardware store that you would never consider growing without. This thread is for all the best grow gear that you don't buy at the hydro store. What's the best shop vac? Who makes the best foil tape? Got a pair of wire clippers that just won't quit? Some incredible scissors? Come on in experienced growers, diy masters, share with us the treasures you have found, and the duds we all would be better off not learning about the hard way.

What this thread is NOT for: which nutrient line is better, what's the best hps bulb, ballasts, reflectors, soil, hydro systems, etc. Basically anything that can only be bought at a hydro store. There's a million threads for that stuff already, and another thread where people argue about it won't get us anywhere.

Let's make a resource, an indispensable guide to the best shit, the good stuff, the tools and equipment you will pass down to your children when they start their first garden. Be specific! A lot of manufacturers make a ton of different similar products, if you're gonna recommend something make sure we can find it!

On the other hand, if there's a product that seems awesome but just plain sucks, post about it! I want to know if I'm gonna waste my money on that helpful looking doodad.

I'll start it off with a couple of my favorites:
Bosch ps31-2a, 12v Drill/driver (about $130)
tZFptC7.png

This thing rules. It's tiny, easy to store away, comes with 2 batteries for zero down time, and it's got enough balls to handle most all of my grow room tasks. Hanging drywall? No problem. Building out your diy hydro setup? You're covered. Sure I got a bigger plug in drill if I need to bust out the 2 inch forstner bits and start blowing through some lumber, but just about everything else this thing handles with ease. The small size is nice because with the light weight and a center of gravity nearer to your wrist, it's harder to strip screws, and it's not fatiguing to use on those bitch of a tasks where you're drilling above your head for extended periods.

Gorilla tape
0rU2KsU.jpg

You know what they say, if you can't duct it, well, get some fucking gorilla tape. It's great for holding up poly plastic sheeting, taping down pond liners, covering sharp edges, holding together insulation, just about anything, and I believe it's light tight. Now don't go using this if it's gotta hold up anything heavy, there's only so much tape can do, the adhesive will lose it's hold over time, especially in heat, and that fan you taped up will be lying broken on the floor. Get the 35 yard rolls, trust me, you'll find uses.

EPMD rubber pond liner

I have lined the floors with this stuff for years. Get the thick stuff, 40-45 mil. Make sure it's EPMD rubber, you do not want that pvc bullshit, if your pond liner springs a leak it's worse than useless. At least without the liner you'd know about it. This stuff takes a beating. Build out a frame for it using 2x4 or 2x6s, depending on how much water is in your system, and then lay down the pond liner. It just plain works, and it keeps on working for years and years. It's doesn't dry out under the lights and crack, it doesn't spring leaks, it won't rip. And it's easy as hell to sweep up and mop up in between or during your grows.

SHIT TO AVOID:

Home depot 5 gallon Bucket Head shop vac

3xoRxUp.jpg

Seems like a great idea, I mean what grower doesn't already have 5 gallon buckets everywhere? Cheap, easy to store and pack away, wet/dry capability, what could go wrong? Well, the damn thing spends more time on it's side than it does upright doing any vacuming, the slightest tug on the ultra short hose and it comes tumbling over, then the ball inside jams up and it stops sucking. Yes, this thing sucks so bad it literally chokes on it's own balls. And when it is vacuming, that thin hose get's clogged up more often than not by a piece of stem or dirt clod. Damn thing has been the bane of my existence. AVOID

Let's get it rolling.

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
lmao...

You are being a little hard on the bucket head. Sure, there are much nicer shop vacs, but for $20 this thing has its purposes. I think its great for sucking up small messes or coco after potting.

Throw it on an extension cord and stop knocking it over already... :moon:

I use these little hand clamps for holding hoses and all sorts of things. Never want those hoses flopping out of a res during fill-up and making a wet disaster.

z303425.jpg

Furthermore.. these are ultra handy in activating an outlet from a distance. I now can turn on/off that pump that is doing my filling without being anywhere near it.

aHR0cDovL2ltZy5yZXZlcnNlZGUuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9JLzQxWjRTRGRUMjVMLmpwZw==

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
Flexzilla hose is the shit as well.

Bobblehead and others I believe use it in 1/4" for various drip applications. I've got some of the regular garden hose size for regular yard use and for pumping water to different areas. It is much more pleasant then regular garden hose.

flexzilla_gardenhose.png

A

ak-51

Rubbermade Brute 32 Gallon Trash Can

gr667.jpg

This is the best ~30 gallon container I have found for use as a reservoir. They are about $30 at Home Depot or Lowe's. I have tried the generic equivalent because it was half the price and held 3 more gallons, but it split and started leaking all over the floor within one or two months. I have gotten these black 27 gallon storage bins with yellow lids at Lowe's and had good results with the first two. When I went to get the third one they must have started getting them from a different supplier or making them differently and the new ones are made of thinner and more brittle plastic, that one split and leaked the first day. Rubbermaid Brutes are a solid investment for a reservoir.

Watch this video and tell me you aren't sold.

EDIT: They make 44 gallon ones, and Lowe's carries them at least sometimes.

real ting

^ can't go wrong with a brute!

lmao...

You are being a little hard on the bucket head. Sure, there are much nicer shop vacs, but for $20 this thing has its purposes. I think its great for sucking up small messes or coco after potting.

Throw it on an extension cord and stop knocking it over already... :moon:
It's not even the short cord that does it, it's just too damn top heavy! Might be better with a weighted bucket dolly, but at that point you might as well buy something with some power.

Furthermore.. these are ultra handy in activating an outlet from a distance. I now can turn on/off that pump that is doing my filling without being anywhere near it.

View Image
Now those look incredibly handy. Where can you get that? I like the look of that flexzilla hose too, might have to get one for the yard.

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
^I've got he remote outlet switches from various places..

.. and various qualities. (some seem to eat batteries faster then others). I wasnt sure of my exact brand so I didnt specify the manufacturer.

The current one (like I pictured) I got at Lowes for $10 in the outdoor section used for turning on/off Christmas lights without having to crawl behind the tree.

I want to say the HarborFreight ones chewed threw batteries.

PS - maybe toss a brick in the bottom of your bucket head Vac.

real ting

PS - maybe toss a brick in the bottom of your bucket head Vac.

Not a bad idea at all!

Another one I use every single time I go into the room.

Heavy duty Nitrile Exam Gloves
J6GIUJA.jpg

Get yourself a big box of these bad boys. Don't mess around with the cheap thin ones, they just tear and leave you wearing sweaty rubber hobo gloves. And don't think you can just double bag the cheapies, it doesn't work for condoms and it's not gonna fly here either! You want something heavy duty, 6-8 mil, the extra length is good too. All rubber gloves tend to ride up a bit, the length really helps. Great for trimming, working on the plants, mixing nutes, etc. Another benefit of the strong ones is you can easily reuse them if you're not working with any serious chemicals.

oldbootz

Veteran
something that i find really nice and easy to use is shelving contact covers: reflective silver. i was lucky to find this in my local hardware store and it is awesome for covering the surfaces of small cabs to make the surfaces reflective. or even on the walls of a verticle grow.

the gnome

Veteran
Rubbermade Brute 32 Gallon Trash Can

View Image

This is the best ~30 gallon container I have found for use as a reservoir. They are about $30 at Home Depot or Lowe's. Rubbermaid Brutes are a solid investment for a reservoir.

i agree AK51
i use a couple of these and they are well worth the $27
i have the roller that locks on the bottoms so you can move them around if needed when loaded.

48835_1732331.JPG

Granger2

Veteran
Real Ting,
Great thread idea. I agree on the pond liner and Gorilla Tape. Me and my Firestorm cordless drill are a team. I bought it just before I built my grow room [all lumber w/screw construction]. We've shared many a mile, but it is heavy and large. I'm going to check out the Bosch, cuz I'd like something that's lighter and can get into tighter spots.

I read all the reviews on Lowe's and Home Depot about the shop vac, and I realize the limitations, but for the price, I'm going to risk it. The reviewers consistently say it excels at picking up liquid. That's where I could really use it, for runoff in my hand watering operation.

Soleus Air 10" Wall Mountable Table Fan FTY-25
http://www.amazon.com/Soleus-Air-Mo...d=1368143216&sr=8-12&keywords=oscillating+fan

Not extremely powerful, but very quiet and oscillates in an oval pattern, and fan body doesn't move. 2 hour timer for those inclined. Thanks. -granger

Last edited:

intotheunknown

Veteran
images

I disagree that the buckethead vac is no good. I just extended the hose with another broken shop vac I had laying around and presto. cant beat the price and works just as well as any high dollar vac.

Granger2

Veteran
NP. What does it cost, and how can you use it? Can you aim it a canopy level, and get an accurate reading unaffected by radiant heat? Does it read a very small space? Thanks. -granger

the gnome

Veteran
oh yeah ITTU,

and infared therm is on my get list fo sure!
just tag it with the laser and read temps like magic!

I saw 2 at Home Depot recently.
whats a good one to get?

intotheunknown

Veteran
Granger

Yes thats what it is exactly for. Super accurate readings right at the source/surface. Far easier to dial in canopy temps/light distance.

I also use it for lots of other things. Water temps, ambient temps, intake/exhaust temps, wall temps, you name it.

of course the more they cost, usually are the better ones. 50$ should get you a good unit.
^^ the one shown above should also get you by. Id buy a little better one personally.

Latest posts

Latest posts