What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

VIPARSPECTRA or MarsHydro

Medfinder

Chemon 91
SO FAR AFTER SEEING REVIEWS AND SUCH... viparsepctra seems the better choice.

Ive got 2 morsen 600watt that draw at 230 watt and they do throw some out some heat but not nearly as a 600watt hid though.

going into 15-17 watt led bulbs too to see what's better.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
I haven't seen the Mars lights, but I will say the Viparspectra is quality all the way, nothing cheap feeling about it, and seems to be made of good materials.

And it's working great for me.:biggrin:

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
You can get a name brand LED set up for about that same money, not that a brand name is any guarantee.
But I can tell you I have bought a few LED aquarium lights directly from China, and they usually quit after about a month.

Suggestions?

Suggestions?

Hey guys. Figured I'd ask here instead of making a new thread. I have been running a 4x2 setup with a 5 foot ceiling, in the only place I have available, using a 250w HPS. I'm unable to get cool air directly to the walk in closet so in the summer I'm constantly battling high temps. I am looking at a couple LED lights to try them out. I understand that there isn't a huge difference in temps? Any truth? Even if I can reduce temps 3 or 4 degrees would keep the tent in the happy temp zone. Aaaanywho.... I've narrowed down to possibly the Mars Reflector 144 or the Viparspectra Reflector Series 600w. Anyone running a similar sized setup with either light? Thanks in advance to anyone replying!

P.P.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
LED's are significantly cooler than HPS. But you should still have ventilation. I'm surprised you can maintain a 250w HPS system in a closet with no ventilation, unless you're keeping the door open.

Door closed but I have 5 fans inside the tent and one out side pulling cooler air into the closet. Works great in winter but would like to run LED during summer.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
You should be able to get your 4 or 5 degrees with the 600.

I don't see how you can have a fan blowing air into either the tent or the closet if there's nowhere for the air to go when the tent/closet gets full. Do you keep your tent partially open? I still don't see how you could be circulating any air. What am I missing?

I simply usher air in the direction I want. I pull cooler air at ground level from the room the closet is in...the room is definitely cooler than the closet. Inside the tent I have fans on the floor near the vents pulling that air in and assumed up towards the light. There's a small exhaust fan simply angled from top of tent towards the top of the closet door. Not perfect but it works... One can see why I have interest in led. Haha. Removing a few fans will give me more room to work with.

gizmo666

hey personal
i'm pretty much in the same situ as you
the way i control my temps is
my cupboard has access to loft space so i have a 100mm fan pulling air out of the room to a carbon filter
room still to warm
so i drill a couple of holes in the door at the bottom to allow cooler air to enter
still to warm and now smells escape
so i said fuck it and
drilled holes at the top off the door to allow hot air out drilled a couple more holes in the cieling and its finally ok now
smelly as fuck but the temps are ok haha

seriously tho my room is 2' x 3' and approx 6' high
i run a 400w hps just now
what would be the equivelant led for me to go for(at decent uk prices)
and also i've noticed that a lot say they should only be run for 10-14 hours a day what is your feelings about this as i veg 24hours
thanks folks

hey personal
i'm pretty much in the same situ as you
the way i control my temps is
my cupboard has access to loft space so i have a 100mm fan pulling air out of the room to a carbon filter
room still to warm
so i drill a couple of holes in the door at the bottom to allow cooler air to enter
still to warm and now smells escape
so i said fuck it and
drilled holes at the top off the door to allow hot air out drilled a couple more holes in the cieling and its finally ok now
smelly as fuck but the temps are ok haha

It's a battle! That's why I'm doing the research. Lol. I love the HPS light and will use it again in winter. Keep it cool! :tumbleweed:

P.P.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
i am running '3' 300w vipar's in a 4x 3 1/2ft tent... started '5' plants, '3' of em turned out to be males, so they were culled.. so now have the '3' lites over the '2' plants... the temps are a couple of degrees higher then the outside air... about 10days ago , not being happy with the rate of growth of the buds, I put in a 4ft. 8bulb fluor fixture in the tent, along with a fan blowing the cooler outside air over the fluor's... but every morn b4 the fluor's go on, I have to open the tent flap's as those babies put out a bit of heat, not as much as an hps... but enough where my temp in the tent the other day was 105 b4 I opened the flaps... I 4got to open em and the tent was closed for only about 30mins with the fluor's on...

my buddy went 12/12 with his ladies just about the same time that I flipped my lites. diff ladies, he is using hps and his are from clones... but his growth is miles ahead of mine.. my buds are 1- 1 1/2'' , his are 4 or more...

while the jury is out...at this point , about 5 weeks into 12/12, I'd have to say that hps is miles ahead of led... at least the vipar's that I have...

angelgoob

im not growing bud right now.

I started some cucumbers under some screw-ins, then switched to the Viparspectra 450w.

They have major noticeable growth in 18 hours. My plants are praying.

These lights have a mutli-spectrum. I think only a third are red led. The rest are yellow, orange, blue, and IR.

I heard of diodes and such going out on marshydro. but maybe that was only one batch or something.

When I first started growing, I was doing so inside a spacebucket, I was using screw in CFL bulbs. Then tried LED screw ins and the difference was noticeable. Thank you for sharing your experience with the Viparspectra. At least the both of them, in terms of price, aren't a wallet buster for me, and could be a good intro to LED. :thinking:

angelgoob

oh and another thing. The 450w Vipar is 206 real watts. You can see the heatsinks in them.

Anyway, the temp in my house is 70, and it's 77-78f in that room. Pretty small room too.

So that'll give you the idea of heating they will put out, and they DO put out.

You could fashion a direct air outlet around it and off blow it. Blow it somewhere else.

Also, since LED are fan cooled, why aren't the vents facing down on the plants? lol

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
If the vents were facing down on the plants, that would be directing the hot air right onto the plants instead of away from them, no?

angelgoob

might i also recommend bloomspect.

they are cheap with lenses and are bright. I don't know how they did it. 112w for 67 bucks.

edit: it depends on how fast the air is moving. decrease in temperature if it's moving faster (haha, all my science nerds are like but that is heat)

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I simply usher air in the direction I want. I pull cooler air at ground level from the room the closet is in...the room is definitely cooler than the closet. Inside the tent I have fans on the floor near the vents pulling that air in and assumed up towards the light. There's a small exhaust fan simply angled from top of tent towards the top of the closet door. Not perfect but it works... One can see why I have interest in led. Haha. Removing a few fans will give me more room to work with.

I put an ocillilating fan on the floor of the tent n open the flap when the lights go on... at the rear of the tent on the bottom, I have the flap open n a small desk fan sucking the air out... as u say, not perfect...but... with outdoor temps around 70, the temps in the tent with the 4ft 8bulb fluor on will hit 80+... with just the '3' 300w vipar's on , the temp is around 75... if I leave the tent closed with the led's n the fluor's on we hit triple digits real fast...