What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"VEGETABLE GARDENING" (for fun and nutrition)

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
RuralRoute420 said:
i'm going to try the chive in a pot this year, how long does it take to grow?

in a sunny spot, not long :D the chive I grow is from the chive I grew as a child :D just divide the root/clump every year or so :D what you take off, plant in the ground, then divide again and give to a friend :D

Both chive and mint are the best garden gifts to give to new and old friends to encourage them into growing their own,,, chive and mint are 'idiot prove' cause they don't mind the odd 'over' or 'under' watering,,, what you could call "hardy herbs" :D

peace dL :D

Last edited:

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
pee scrog ? :chin: now I've seen it all :crazy:

Encourage friendly insects to feed on your flower bearing crops :D

(it saves all that messing around with pollen and artists brush) :biglaugh:

peace dL

Last edited:
i gro hot peppers. Red savina habaneros , orange habs and lemon peppers right now. i have about 30 kinds of pepper seeds . have grown many diff habs in the past also and ceyennes and jalepenos also start tomatoes and green peppers. man did u see the new Doritos!!! fiery habaneros!!!! i got me a bag but haven't tried them yet.... well i will smoke and munch on um later!!!!!

purcellville

Self Proclaimed Hash Whore
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am very intersted in using some of my gear indoor for winter gardnening. Do herbs, and veggies need a 12/12 cycle or can they run under 18/6 light cycles?

G

The thought of being the only 1 in town in winter to have vine ripened tomatoes has always intriged me. I was told that maters are indeed sensitive and won't flower on a 24/24....but will on about 15/24. I don't stand by that, only what I've heard. I will be testing that theory soon.

Seed

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
here's some tomatoes (from the chap over the fence),,, gonna leave them to root well before transplanting into final pots. (last year his cherry toms were nice sun-dried with salt) :wink:

the strawberry is a variety from Cambridge :wave:

(red fruit - red tray) :chin:

Last edited:

JACKBAYBEH

Cool Thread!!

Cool Thread!!

My "heirloom" tomato garden this year includes:
BrandyWine (Sudduth Strain)
Marrianna's Peace
Black from Tula (Russian black variety)
Olpaka (sauce tomato)
Polish Linguisa (sauce tomato)
Also going to plant a few hot pepper plants a buddy of mine started from
seed. Standard Green Chilli, Jalepeno, Habenero. And a few scotch bonnet and one he calls Jamaican Chocolate. Good luck with the veggies everybody!

G

Nice list Jack.

Tomatoes-
Phil's Fantastic ( this is a GIANT variety grown by an old man named Phil. RIP Phil.)
Red Cherry

Cabbage-
Great Northern Giant ( this strain can get 6 ft. across with 75# heads.)

Broccoli-
not sure

Pumpkins-
Atlantic Giant ( parents were over 1000 lbs. )

Watermelon-
Thunderbelly Carolina Cross ( parents were over 200 lbs. )

Sunflower-
Craven ( seed came from a plant that measured 25' 5" tall )
Russian Mammoth ( 24" heads )

Corn-
Sweet June Indian ( 20 ft. + with up to 26" ears )

Cannibus-
Bubblicious ( thanx Gypsy )

and many others like salads and herbs

Seed

G

Heres a shot of my buttercrunch lettuce. It'll be on my tacos in T-5 minutes.

Seed

G

Does anyone know what kind of flower this is? The folage looks like it is from a succulent family.

Here's a shot of my Bleeding Heart....beautiful.

Seed

Latitude18

heres what I got

heres what I got

this is just finished today .. I moved them of the deck and to their new spot , took a palet from a dump pile next door and put it on the roof just off my deck , leveled it and loaded it up

I have 12 brandywine heirloom kick'n in very nice ... and a few squash ( yellow and green zuc's ) and green bean (some poped some should pop soon, up front ) . then a few bambu stalks taking root . and to the side my 2 yr old Pineapple that i planted from a top off one I bought and ate ... and finally , between that and the tom.s I have a brand new edition , a baby Fan Palm , I dug up yesterday and put in a pot like I transplanted the P/A plant to ( they have Perf'd trays inside and a water res. on the bottom , free ) . Hopefully it does well , it was hard to get i out of the rocky , all rock and clay , soil .... next I'm looking for some Aloe , there are some 10 foot dia. ones around that just bloomed.

i'll shut up ... heres the pics

U Likey??
:confused:

G

Seed's garden update.

Seed's garden update.

This week has been stressful to all ends of my garden. It won't stop raining. Seedlings don't like rain. Don't get me wrong, my garden rocks. But all of that Springtime vigor has s l o w e d-d o w n.

My pumpkins-27 days from hatch. Vines have started so you'll see tremendous growth from week to week. Just wait till August.

My Giant cabbage has taken the brunt of all this rain. Growth stopped and I do believe they are drowning. I hope the sun comes soon.

Ever see such nice Romaine lettuce? Organic and poison free. The secret lies in molasses.

See the sunflower in the middle of the broccoli? That bad boy has grown almost 4 in. in the last 24 hours. It is my only shot at the world record this year. (WR- 25' 6")

Until next week,
Seed

G

I found some really neat garnishes. They are all real. Check out the watermelons.

Seed

Latitude18

Keep those updates come'n

Keep those updates come'n

Here's my update. Got my first flowers today , as for what day it is, in the grow , I don't know. I could figure it out though, but with all the diff. things I have going I'd drive myself crazy. So till there's a need to know, I'll let them just grow. he he ... here's the pix

/\ the Big Picture , a lil off center

Pineapple and fan palm (don't know any real name for it , they grow like weeds here ). Palm is doing fine in a pot. I trimed a few beat up shoots and have them gathered together to keep them out of the P/A shoots. They are like lil saws

GreenBeans and squash , thats the second time I've had to unwind that vine

Brandywines \/

Purdy lil flower ... these babies are crank'n. Started them indoors with 12 of the 72 Jiffy starters. Think'n I'd lose a few. Every single one is going strong (knock on wood). Very few even have one leaf with a minor problem. Stuck my big fat finger in there to show stem size.

expansion in progress : walls and top , circle troops around the inside walls and add tie offs , second palet, and start more stuff.

Did a lil research on daylight hours for my area , here's what I found ...

Longest day-06/21/06 - 13h14m

Shortest day- 12/21/06 - 11h2m

that is 2h12m diff.

Rises earliest on 5/30/06 @5:42a
rises latest on 1/18/06 @6:54a
diff. of 1h12m

Sets earliest on 11/24/06 @5:41p
Sets latest on 7/5/06 @7:00p
diff. of 1h19m

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
SALSA 101

Salsa Recipes for Canning

Originally developed by...
Washington State University, Cooperative Extension Service...
Recipes have been tweeked/adjusted by the New Mexico University extension Service basically for ultimate finished product flavor... :)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
http://www.onlineconversion.com/
Most Popular Conversion Pages...
Length, Temperature, Speed, Volume, Weight, Cooking, Area, Fuel Economy, Currency.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

CAUTION:
Most salsa recipes contain a mixture of low-acid foods, such as onions and chiles.
Acid, such as vinegar or lemon juice must be added to prevent the bacteria, Clostridium botulinum, from growing.
This bacteria produces a deadly toxin that can cause serious damage to the central nervous system or death when eaten in even small amounts.
These salsa recipes have been tested to ensure that they contain enough acid to be processed safely in a boiling water canner.

INGREDIENTS

Tomatoes

The type of tomato you use often affects the quality of salsas.
Paste tomatoes, such as Roma, have firmer flesh and produce thicker salsas than large slicing tomatoes. Although both types make good salsas, slicing tomatoes usually yield a thinner, more watery salsa than paste tomatoes.

Canning is not a good way to use overripe or spoiling tomatoes. Use only high quality tomatoes for canning salsa or any other tomato product. Do not use tomatoes from dead or frost-killed vines. Poor quality or overripe tomatoes will yield a very poor salsa and may spoil.

Where recipes call for peeled or skinned tomatoes, remove the skin by dipping tomatoes into boiling water for 30-60 seconds or until skins split.
Dip in cold water, then slip off skins and remove cores and seeds. Y
ou may substitute green tomatoes or tomatillos for tomatoes in any of these recipes.

Chiles

Chiles range from mild to fiery in taste. Very hot chiles are usually small (1 to 3 inches long); mild chiles are usually bigger (4 to 10 inches long). Anaheim, Ancho, New Mexico 6-4, Big Jim, Chimayo, and Hungarian Yellow Wax are mild chile varieties. Choose a mild chile when the recipe calls for long green chiles.

Small, very hot chiles provide a distinct taste to salsas. Jalapeño is the most popular hot chile. Other varieties include Serrano, Cayenne, Habanero, Chile Piquin, and Tabasco. Use rubber gloves when you cut or dice these chiles because they cause extreme irritation to the skin. Do not touch your face, particularly the area around your eyes, when you are working with hot chiles.

You may substitute bell peppers for some or all of the long green chiles. Also, different chile varieties will have different flavors. Canned chiles may be used in place of fresh.

Use only high quality chiles. Do not increase the total amount of chiles in any recipe. However, you may substitute one type of chile for another.

The skin of long green chiles may be tough and can be removed by heating the chiles. Usually when chiles are finely chopped, they do not need to be skinned.

Hot chiles, such as the jalapeño, do not need to be peeled, but seeds are often removed.

If you choose to peel chiles, slit each one along the side to allow steam to escape. Peel using one of these two methods:

Oven or broiler method-Place chiles in a hot oven (400 °F) or broiler for 6-8 minutes until skins blister.

Range-top method-Cover hot burner (either gas or electric) with heavy wire mesh. Place chiles on burner for several minutes until skins blister.

After heating, place chiles in a pan and cover with a damp cloth. (This will make peeling the chiles easier.) Cool several minutes; slip off skins. Discard seeds and chop.

CAUTION: Wear plastic or rubber gloves while handling hot chiles.

Tomatillos

Tomatillos are also known as Mexican husk tomatoes. They do not need to be peeled or seeded, but the dry outer husk must be removed.

Acids

The acid ingredients used in salsa help preserve it and prevent botulism poisoning. You must add acid to canned salsas because the natural acidity may not be high enough. Commonly used acids in home canning are vinegar and lemon juice. Lemon juice is more acidic than vinegar, but has less effect on flavor. Use only vinegar that is at least 5% acid and use only bottled lemon juice.

If you wish, you may safely substitute an equal amount of lemon juice for vinegar in recipes using vinegar.
Do not substitute vinegar for lemon juice.
This substitution will result in a less acid and potentially unsafe salsa.

Spices

Spices add flavoring to salsas. Cilantro and cumin are often used in spicy salsas. You may leave them out if you prefer a salsa with a milder taste. For a stronger cilantro flavor, add fresh cilantro just before serving the salsa.

IMPORTANT:
Follow the directions carefully and exactly for each recipe.
Use the amounts of each vegetable listed in the recipe.
Add the amount of vinegar or lemon juice listed.
You may decrease the amount of spices, if desired.
Do not can salsas that do not follow these or other research tested recipes. (They may be frozen or stored in the refrigerator.)
Do not thicken salsas with flour or cornstarch before canning.
After you open a jar to use, you may pour off some of the liquid or thicken with cornstarch.

Filling the Jars

Follow manufacturer's directions for pretreating lids. Fill hot clean jars with the hot salsa, being careful not to leave any salsa on the rims. Wipe jar rims with a clean, damp paper towel. Put on lids and screw on metal bands.
PROCESSING

Processing in a Boiling Water Canner

1. Use a rack to keep jars from touching canner bottom and to allow heat to reach all sides of the filled jars.

2. Put jars into a canner that contains simmering water.

3. Add boiling water if needed to bring water 1-2 inches above jar tops.
Don't pour water directly on the jars.
Place a tight-fitting cover on canner.
(If you use a pressure canner for water bath canning, leave the cover unfastened and the petcock open to prevent pressure buildup.)

4. Bring water back to a rolling boil. Set a timer for recommended processing time. Watch closely to keep water boiling gently and steadily. Add boiling water if necessary to keep jars covered.

5. Remove the jars from the canner immediately after timer sounds.
The food could spoil later if jars are left in hot water too long.

Cooling Jars

Put jars on a rack or cloth so air can circulate freely around them. Don't use a fan and avoid cold drafts.

Do not retighten screw bands after processing.

Testing for Seal

Test each jar for a seal the day after canning.

Jars with flat metal lids are sealed if:

1. Lid is curved down in the center.

2. Lid does not move when pressed down.

3. Tapping the center of the lid with a spoon gives a clear, ringing sound (this is the least reliable method).

If a jar is not sealed, refrigerate the contents and use soon or reprocess. Reprocess within 24 hours.
When reprocessing, the salsa must first be heated to a boil before packing in hot jars.
Wipe jar rims clean. Use a new lid and process for the full time listed.

Storing

Wipe jars.
Label with the date and the contents of the jar.
Remove the screw bands to avoid rust.

Store jars in a cool dark place.
For best eating quality and nutritive value, use within one year.
Heat, freezing temperatures, light, or dampness will decrease the quality and shelf life of canned food.

Before Using

Before opening each jar, look for bulging lids, leaks, or any unusual appearance of the food. After opening, check for off-odor, mold, or foam. If there is any sign of spoilage, destroy the food.

RECIPES

Tomatillo Green Salsa

Yield: 5 pints

5 cups chopped tomatillos
1 1/2 cups seeded, chopped long green chiles
1/2 cup seeded finely chopped jalapeños
4 cups chopped onions
1 cup bottled lemon juice
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 Tbsp ground cumin*
3 Tbsp oregano leaves *
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and stir frequently over high heat until mixture begins to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle hot salsa into pint jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in a boiling water canner 15 minutes at 0-1,000 feet altitude; 20 minutes at 1,001-6,000 feet; 25 minutes above 6,000 feet.

You may use green tomatoes in this recipe instead of tomatillos.

*Optional

Tomato/Green Chile Salsa

Yield: 3 pints

3 cups peeled, cored, chopped tomatoes
3 cups seeded, chopped long green chiles
3/4 cup chopped onions
1 jalapeño, seeded, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups vinegar
1/2 tsp ground cumin*
2 tsp oregano leaves*
1 1/2 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and heat, stirring frequently, until mixture boils. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle hot into pint jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in a boiling water canner 15 minutes at 0-1,000 feet altitude; 20 minutes at 1,001-6,000 feet; 25 minutes above 6,000 feet.

*Optional

Tomato Salsa (using paste tomatoes)

Yield: 16-18 pints

7 qt peeled, cored, chopped tomatoes
4 cups seeded, chopped long green chiles
5 cups chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped, seeded, jalapeños
3 Tbsp oregano leaves*
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro*
2 cups bottled lemon juice
2 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp black pepper
2 Tbsp ground cumin*

Combine all ingredients except cumin, oregano, and cilantro in a large pot and bring to a boil, stirring frequently, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add spices and simmer for another 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle hot salsa into pint jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in a boiling water canner: 15 minutes at 0-1,000 feet altitude; 20 minutes at 1,001-6,000 feet, 25 minutes above 6,000 feet.

This recipe works best with paste tomatoes. Slicing tomatoes require a much longer cooking time to achieve a desirable consistency.

*Optional

Tomato Taco Sauce

Yield: 16-18 pints

8 qt peeled, cored, finely chopped paste tomatoes
2 1/2 cups vinegar
2 Tbsp salt
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 1/2 Tbsp black pepper
5 cups chopped onions
1 Tbsp sugar
4 jalapeños seeded, chopped
2 Tbsp oregano leaves*
1 tsp ground cumin*
4 long green chiles, seeded, chopped

Combine ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently until thick (about 1 hour). Ladle hot mixture into pint jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in boiling water canner: 15 minutes for 0-1,000 feet altitude; 20 minutes at 1,001-6,000 feet; 25 minutes above 6,000 feet.

*Optional

This recipe works best with paste tomatoes, as slicing tomatoes will yield a thin watery salsa.
If you only have slicing tomatoes available, use the Tomato/Tomato Paste Salsa recipe.

Tomato/Tomato Paste Salsa

Yield: 7-9 pints

3 qt peeled, cored, chopped slicing tomatoes
2 12-ounce cans tomato paste
3 cups chopped onions
2 cups bottled lemon juice
6 jalapeños seeded, finely chopped
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
4 long green chiles, seeded, chopped
1 Tbsp ground cumin*
2 Tbsp oregano leaves *
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle hot into pint jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in a boiling water canner. 15 minutes at 0-1,000 feet altitude; 20 minutes at 1,001-6,000 feet, 25 minutes above 6,000 feet.

*Optional

Chile Salsa

Yield: 7 to 9 pints

10 cups peeled, cored, chopped tomatoes
4 cups chopped onions
1 cup vinegar
6 cups seeded, chopped chiles*
3 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Combine ingredients in a large saucepan. Heat to a boil and simmer 10 minutes. Ladle hot salsa into pint jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in a boiling water canner: 15 minutes at 0-1,000 feet altitude, 20 minutes at 1,001-6,000 feet; 25 minutes above 6,000 feet.

*Use mixture of mild and hot chiles.

IMPORTANT

The only changes you can safely make in these salsa recipes are to substitute bottled lemon juice for vinegar and to decrease the amount of spices and herbs. Do not alter the proportions of vegetables to acid and tomatoes because it might make the salsa unsafe.

Botulism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botulism

Food preservation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_preservation

IMB :)

Last edited:

DeadlyFoez

This is my cherry tomato plant. I'm doing a dwc in a c24. This freaking thing is huge

I made this cabinet with the intensions of having 3 5 gallon buckets in it, but this plant is growing so fast and big that I can't make room for another plant.

I just want to know what would be the appropriate way to grow root vegitables. I wanna grow some carrots.

I'd also like to grow brocholi, onions, strawberries, lettuce, mairjuana (can't until I buy a house)

this was a pic I took about 2 weeks before making a screen to turn it into a scrog.

Latest posts

Latest posts