What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kernow Guerrilla

Big Eggy

Veteran
Thanks guys! It's been an unusually hot and dry start to the year.. Typical we're on lockdown! Though as I broke my arm I can't go surfing for a few weeks anyhow.

We had the first proper rain last night so I'm gonna leave today's visit to sometime over the week end.

Big Eggy

Veteran
Day 40

Looks like its gonna be dry and warm today so this morning I went to my site to top the plants. I've nipped out the tips just above the 4th node and I can now see a definite difference between the two plants. Little PM has much shorter node spacing and the tip that I took out was way more developed than the other plant, Big PM is way more stretched and although looks bigger from the photo below you'll see how much smaller the same apical tip was.

Little PM
picture.php

picture.php

Big PM
picture.php

picture.php

Tips removed

The big one came from "Little PM" with the shorter node spacing.
picture.php

I noticed a few small nibble marks on some of the leaves nothing to worry about but next visit will be to top dress and spray with some systematic insecticide.

Big Eggy

Veteran
I've decided to try some of the autos I got as freebies... I've found a good place near by in the corner of a small meadow.. But getting there on my own to dig a hole is gonna be tough at tge moment as we are going out as family once a day during lockdown and going before my once a week trip to work like I do the mian site is not feasible. So for the time being Im gonna try something a little closer to home.

Next to my house I have a track that goes to a deadend.. Its not perfect as it doesn't get full sun as its shaded by my garden wall in the morning and a hedge opersite in the evening, but as summer is nearly here it should get a decent amount of sun.

For those of you wondering why not just use greenhouse or garden.. My Mrs will not tolerate it!!

This is gonna be a no frills grow for a no frill seed.

Simple hole about 10-15lites in size
picture.php

The ground is really stoney but the solid is pretty good.. So I've screened it with a 1.5cm screen and kept about 10lites of the soil I removed.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I intend on digging a bit deeper and adding growmore deep down. Then a layer of the local soil with compost and fish blood and bone, the the top layer just local soil and compost.

I've planted two beans Auto Amnesia Haze and Auto Diesel, the best seedling of the two wins a seat in the hole. These are by no means anything special just Lowryder crosses from dopeseeds/female-seeds.co.uk so I'm nit gonna out too much effort.. But hopefully I'll be pleasantly supprised.

Eggy

Big Eggy

Veteran
Purple maroc update

Day 45

Went to see the ladies this morning and they still seem OK. A little lime green for my liking so I hit them with 2litres of 10-1-1 each, I also gave them a good spray of insecticide just to be on the safe side.

There is clearly a difference between the two plant when it comes to how the have responded to topping. The plant that I was calling little PM has started to branch out already where as big PM is still having a think about it.

Little PM
picture.php

Big PM
picture.php

The autos are up and I've decided to make the hole longer and plant them next to each other... More on that later.

Eggy

thepureskunk

Looking really good mate. You’ll have some monster plants by the end of the season hopefully. I haven’t even germinated a seed yet!

Finding decent gorilla spots is tough, So good luck man :joint:

Big Eggy

Veteran
Looking really good mate. You’ll have some monster plants by the end of the season hopefully. I haven’t even germinated a seed yet!

Finding decent gorilla spots is tough, So good luck man :joint:

Cheers thepureskunk, I was a little worried this morning.. I've taken up running as an excuse to leave the house at odd times to service the site, this morning as I was "Running" with a backpac of 4litres of nutes and water and insecticide I saw a car driving down the track.... I hung back then casually ran past.... No one around but the boot of the car (an estate) was open, I did a huge loop and the whole time I was thinking he's up at my spot digging my plants up. Long story short 30mins later and I approached from a different way they were gone... Clearly just some dog walker.

The autos I'm about to post are gonna be on the other side of a wall to my garden.. This is by far the more risky sites, not because of the police but if my Mrs finds them she'll know its me. I've weighed up the risks and pretty sure she has no reason to be down there... They just better keep lower than the wall and not sink the place up.

Big Eggy

Veteran
Autos day 3

So I've not much experience with Autos and know they have come a long way since I first and last dipped my toes 10 years ago. But being a cheapskate I'd originally planned the summer grow to be a few cheap autos.. I then thought if I'm gonna do a grow might as well grow some bigger plants, so each order I ended up with freebies which gave me a selection of the autos mentioned at the beginning of the thread. Of those 9 auto seeds I decided the first two would be Auto Diesel & Auto Amnesia, both a run of the mill lowryder crosses according to the website.. Let's hope they are LR#2 crosses.

I'm sure they are just gonna be OK ish plants and yield will be at the lower end of the scale as the site is by no means perfect, but at around £1.50 Inc p&p due to the generous extra freebies what have I got to loose?

Here they both are at day three... Diesel has hit the bottom of the toilet roll tube already, will plant them up on Sunday in the final site weather depending. No special treatment just a big hole.. Local soil mixed with multi purp, some growmore & fish blood and bone.. Heck I might treat them to some vermiculite.

picture.php

picture.php

thepureskunk

lol mate good luck with keeping the plants hidden from the missus!

In my experience autos do better if planted directly into the place they finish in. When I used to grow them plants that had been transferred as seedlings did way worse than the ones planted directly into soil. Of course the more root room, the higher the yield.

:joint:

I would definitely recommend adding some sort of aeration amendment to your mix. To get the most out of them, auto flowers require an airier soil mix than a typical photoperiod. Anything that reduces restriction of root growth, i.e., light soil, will give you a longer vegetative time and bigger plants.

Vermiculite is a decent aeration amendment, but it retains a significant amount of water and takes longer to drain compared to something like perlite or pumice. You will have better luck with one of those options, but whatever you choose I would make your mix at least 1/3 aeration.

Best of luck with your projects :)

Big Eggy

Veteran
Thanks for the tips guys. I was hoping the toilet tube would minimise any disturbance as they will be planted directly into the soil. I wish I had perlite but it was out of stock in the whole of my area prior to lock down so I had to go with vermiculite... Though they must stay below 1m for this to work. If I only get a few grand of each plant I'll be happy.

BrownFingers

I would go crazy if I had to hide it from the missus, but it's looking great so far!

I'm getting antsy to put my autos out, but it's a bit too cold here yet. I am considering putting one out as a test, but first I need to figure out a way to keep the soil and seedlings warm during the night for the first week or so (temps dipping below 5c but shouldnt get frost).

How much do you reckon you can raise temperature or retain heat over night? I'm thinking black plastic, bottle mini-greenhouse, water-filled bottles around to absorb heat during day/radiate during night. It is probably a futile attempt, but worst case I just throw away a measly seed and get some experience/fun out of it.

Big Eggy

Veteran
I would go crazy if I had to hide it from the missus, but it's looking great so far!

I'm getting antsy to put my autos out, but it's a bit too cold here yet. I am considering putting one out as a test, but first I need to figure out a way to keep the soil and seedlings warm during the night for the first week or so (temps dipping below 5c but shouldnt get frost).

How much do you reckon you can raise temperature or retain heat over night? I'm thinking black plastic, bottle mini-greenhouse, water-filled bottles around to absorb heat during day/radiate during night. It is probably a futile attempt, but worst case I just throw away a measly seed and get some experience/fun out of it.

I've not smoked for 10years and neither has the Mrs but even as a ex toker I kjow she'd not approve.

You could build a cold frame and pot containers painted black with water in to retain heat.. But your probably better of just waiting a few weeks maybe?

I'm lucky as my new climate is a bit of an anomaly in the UK you can grow palms down here, I don't think my greenhouse dropped below 5deg C all winter.. We get a LOT of rain though.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not smoked for 10yrs? Missus does not approve? Mon dieu, you are indeed growing under special circumstances, Sir!
I wish you all the best of luck with your grow and I hope your Lady realises how sexy it is to smoke copious amounts of pot from time to time!
CC

BrownFingers

I've not smoked for 10years and neither has the Mrs but even as a ex toker I kjow she'd not approve.

You could build a cold frame and pot containers painted black with water in to retain heat.. But your probably better of just waiting a few weeks maybe?

I'm lucky as my new climate is a bit of an anomaly in the UK you can grow palms down here, I don't think my greenhouse dropped below 5deg C all winter.. We get a LOT of rain though.

I'll read up more on cold frames, cheers mate!

I am definitely better off waiting a few weeks. This has turned into more of a fun problem solving challenge, see if I can help it survive, even if I get a super low yield that's alright (and not too sad if it dies). I am putting out the remaining 12-13 autos when night temps hit at least 8-10c :)

Big Eggy

Veteran
Not smoked for 10yrs? Missus does not approve? Mon dieu, you are indeed growing under special circumstances, Sir!
I wish you all the best of luck with your grow and I hope your Lady realises how sexy it is to smoke copious amounts of pot from time to time!
CC

Yeah she used to smoke just as much as me.. Not sure what happened?? Im happy though just not sure what the Heck I'm gonna do with all the weed if I pull it off.. Drying and curing os gonna present a hole new problem but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Big Eggy

Veteran
Autos Day 6

Not much to say other than I took the advice of making sure the mix was light.. The bottom half is a little hotter with base ferts that the top so hopefully I won't get any burn. The toilet tubes went straight into the soil to minimise transplant shock though stunted plants might be a good thing.

Amnesia Auto on the left and Auto Diesel on the right

picture.php

Eggy

Big Eggy

Veteran
A dam slug or snail got though the defenses and chewed of one of the haze leafs.. I've gone to town with the pellets now but wonder if its worth just starting again??

Big Eggy

Veteran
So we had rain today for the first time in a while and the slimy pests are out in force.. Looks like the pellets are holding them off for now.

Amnesia haze
This one lost a leaf early on before I added more pellets.

picture.php

Auto Diesel
Not as appealing maybe? Though a fat slug taking his chances from the right.

picture.php