What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

advice on coconut oil extraction

jim jones

I been looking all over the web for some sort of step by step guide on extracting cannabinoids with coconut oil but had no luck, its all solvents and more solvents. I want to produce a rick simpson style oil to treat cancer but im REALLY not keen on using naptha or any other non food grade solvent, so i was thinking using coconut oil since where i live its in abundance and basically free plus i make it myself. Also its all saturated fat so it should bind with thc,cbd and other cannabinods right?

The advantage it seems to have is that it makes the oil more potent than using solvents but the disadvantage is unable to measure accurate dosage. Has anybody done it this way? If so can you please give me some guidance on oil to bud ratios, heating times, temps etc....

Thanks

gunnaknow

Hey jim, coconut oil extraction is much the same as butter extraction. If you head to the cooking section, you'll find lots of cannabutter recipes.

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
Rick simpson oil is just decarboxylated hash oil and can be easily made with a much more appropiate solvent, like 190 proof grain alcohol, which is food grade! I agree, I'm not a fan of naptha nor would I want to consume a product made with it. I love ethanol extracted oil from lower grade hash and kief thats not very enjoyable to smoke, I get a larger yeild than I would from plant material and since there is much less plant material, I don't have to worry so much about picking up lot of chlorophyll.
Once the ethanol has purged, I then decarboxylate the oil in a ceramic dish and hot oil bath, after decarboxylation is complete and the oil is still warm I mix with a 1:1 ratio of organic coconut oil and use an oral syringe to fill 00 capsules. These capsules empty weigh .1 empty so I fill them till they wiegh .5 with .2 of activated oil in each one. You can also consume the decarboxylated oil with out coconut oil, just put your desired dose in it and your ready to go.

I keep these capsules refridgerated, if not then the coconut oil/hash oil ones will eventually leak if its warm out. To avoid this you can use things like soy lecithin or corn meal to thicken the mixture.

Also feel free to check out these two links.
http://skunkpharmresearch.com/qwet-extraction/
http://skunkpharmresearch.com/decarboxylation/

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Rick simpson oil is just decarboxylated hash oil and can be easily made with a much more appropiate solvent, like 190 proof grain alcohol, which is food grade! I agree, I'm not a fan of naptha nor would I want to consume a product made with it. I love ethanol extracted oil from lower grade hash and kief thats not very enjoyable to smoke, I get a larger yeild than I would from plant material and since there is much less plant material, I don't have to worry so much about picking up lot of chlorophyll.
Once the ethanol has purged, I then decarboxylate the oil in a ceramic dish and hot oil bath, after decarboxylation is complete and the oil is still warm I mix with a 1:1 ratio of organic coconut oil and use an oral syringe to fill 00 capsules. These capsules empty weigh .1 empty so I fill them till they wiegh .5 with .2 of activated oil in each one. You can also consume the decarboxylated oil with out coconut oil, just put your desired dose in it and your ready to go.

I keep these capsules refridgerated, if not then the coconut oil/hash oil ones will eventually leak if its warm out. To avoid this you can use things like soy lecithin or corn meal to thicken the mixture.

Also feel free to check out these two links.
http://skunkpharmresearch.com/qwet-extraction/
http://skunkpharmresearch.com/decarboxylation/

There's your info right there. :)

Same issues with naptha myself. Folks will tell you it's used to process the foods you eat... not the ones I eat, that's for sure. LOL :)

Lots of information in this field... good luck to ya! :D

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

jim jones

Thanks again guys just another quick one, would coconut oil extraction "pull" the same amount of cannabinoids as naptha or other solvents or less?

gunnaknow

It is less aggressive than some solvents but providing that you keep it hot and give it time, it will extract pretty much all of the cannabinoids.

I make my canna caps with coconut oil and dry sieve kief from my diy tumbler. The kief gets decarboxilated and then mixed with the oil. Depending on who i am making them for I use anywhere from 3 to 12 grams per 2 tsp (10ml) of coconut oil. I also like to add a couple drops of olive and almond oil in them too as the different weights of the oils seem to make the effects smoother:biggrin:

unless u are an experienced medable user i would recommend staying closer to 3 grams kief than the 12 grams as they are only for professional abusers like myself. could put u on a very long unpleasant ride u cant get off of:help:

here is a link to a tek on making canna caps step by step:

http://www.rollitup.org/cooking-cannabis/412878-badkats-cannapharm-canna-caps-uv.html

2b2s

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Coconut oil is excellent for extracting oil. Here are the notes from one of our runs:

In this experiment, we didn’t attempt to reach maximum saturation, but to determine what was reasonable to expect from a single batch. To reach maximum saturation, we would have simply processed more than one batch of fresh material through the oil.

What we did, was fill four jars 3/4 full of the trim and then added enough oil to cover it, stirred it thoroughly, and then added another inch of oil.
We then lightly capped the jars and set them in pot of hot water and simmered it on low for six hours, uncapping and stirring thoroughly a couple of times an hour.

At the end of six hours, we removed the jars from the hot water and set them aside to cool. The next day, we cooked them two more hours, stirring regularly, and the third day we cooked them another six hours, for 14 hours total, with three heat cycles.

Lightly capping means snug enough to allow some pressure to build, but loose enough to vent off anything excessive. Since we used cured material and didn’t add water, there were little in the way of volatiles to boil off and produce pressure.

I left the lid off the boiling pot, so as to not force steam into the jar head space.

For pressing, we warmed the oils and ghee up by placing them in boiling water, this time with the lids on tight and the lid on the pot.

Next we cut up some rags from some surplus drape material, with approximately a 160/200 thread count, and draped it over a restaurant sized potato ricer that we scored at Hongs Restaurant Supply in Portland. By pressing it down into the potato ricer, it formed a pocket that holds approximately a quart of plant material.

Folding the cloth over and pressing it, produced a pristine clear oil, which was tasty enough to dropper.

Attachments

• Boiling jars of oil-1-1.jpg
    Boiling jars of oil-1-1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Commercial ricer-1-1.jpg
    Commercial ricer-1-1.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Dumping jars-1-1.jpg
    Dumping jars-1-1.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Canning pan-1-1.jpg
    Canning pan-1-1.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

jim jones

It is less aggressive than some solvents but providing that you keep it hot and give it time, it will extract pretty much all of the cannabinoids.

Any advice on bud to oil ratios? My main concern is not knowing how much cannabis oil has been extracted. If I used the same amount of coconut oil per pound of bud as rick uses naptha would 2ounces still be extracted? If so then if i wanted to administer ône gram of hemp oil obviously I would need to increase dosage size as the oil would be less concentrated.

I appreciate all the comments but I'm only interested in extracting hemp oil, not fusing hash or dry sift with coconut oil.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Most cannabutter recipes call for 1oz to 1lb...

I'd go higher than that myself... you'll reach a point it starts to become difficult to work with though. The goal for me is to always make it as potent as possible so I'll use as much bud as I can and still have it covered... even add more after the first filtering.

Getting set up to make dry sift or hash first can make this a lot easier for you. Muuuch simpler to dissolve dry sift or hash into a small amount of hot oil... no need for lots of work pressing it out of plant matter and you can whip up a batch very quickly. (Pressed Hash stores for a long time, very well) :D

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Any advice on bud to oil ratios? My main concern is not knowing how much cannabis oil has been extracted. If I used the same amount of coconut oil per pound of bud as rick uses naptha would 2ounces still be extracted? If so then if i wanted to administer ône gram of hemp oil obviously I would need to increase dosage size as the oil would be less concentrated.

I appreciate all the comments but I'm only interested in extracting hemp oil, not fusing hash or dry sift with coconut oil.

We were unable to completely extract the resins with one soak using coconut oil. We extracted resin three times, replacing with fresh oil each time.

To pump up the potency of the coconut oil extract, you can also extract fresh material with partially saturated oil.

We use titration to determine an extractions potency but a good rule of thumb for a starting point, is that the oil will be about 1/3 saturation, so 300mg is around a 100mg dose. A 100 mg is about an average pain dose for the average tolerance person.

You can also extract the oil by other means and mix it with the coconut oil at any ratio.

2000pm

Nice tip on wrapping it before the ricer. The first time I used one to squeeze out material it formed a seal of sorts and when I applied pressure, basically exploded hot melted oil everywhere - definitely safety risk! If not wrapping go slooooow.

T

TOKA

i know your not keen on using naptha but if u want to make the real "RSO" then you need to use it! naptha is a type of petroleum ether but the key is to use the right kind, you need to use vm&p naptha which is light naptha. in the uk we have something called u-pol panel thiner which is a light naptha, in my evap test it COMPLETELY evaporated 0.00%! my oil leaves ZERO taste of solvent and has maximum potency.

petroleum ether is a carciongen so i can see why people are weary about using it but if u use the right kind then it WILL evaporate completely so no need to worry about it causing damage to your body. im not some rick simpson fanboy im speaking from experience when i say that other solvents dont produce the same quality of oil as naptha, or in my case u-pol thiner.

also please take extra care when using these kind of solvents and try to use quality bud, trim doesnt really cut it if your want the most potent oil possible.

peace.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The issue that I have with light naphtha, is that only the boiling point is specified, not the actual contents, which allows manufacturers a wide leeway in what they put in it. As you note, some of those things in varnish grade naphtha can be carcinogenic, which makes them a concern even below Permissible Exposure Limits.

Since the boiling point range is that of pentane and hexane, we prefer to use HPLC reagent grade pentane or hexane to accomplish the same purpose.

T

TOKA

The issue that I have with light naphtha, is that only the boiling point is specified, not the actual contents, which allows manufacturers a wide leeway in what they put in it. As you note, some of those things in varnish grade naphtha can be carcinogenic, which makes them a concern even below Permissible Exposure Limits.

Since the boiling point range is that of pentane and hexane, we prefer to use HPLC reagent grade pentane or hexane to accomplish the same purpose.

I was always under the impression that light naptha was only a mix of hexane and pentane as thats whats the MSDS states it is on the upol panel wipe i use. Whats your thoughts on using pure hexane over naptha?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was always under the impression that light naptha was only a mix of hexane and pentane as thats whats the MSDS states it is on the upol panel wipe i use. Whats your thoughts on using pure hexane over naptha?

If you pull a dozen different MSDS, you will see different mixtures.

I would use the hexane before the naphtha. We use a HPLC reagent grade of hexane. Pentane will also work, but is more expensive.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Grey Wolf,

Do you have to cook that 3 days? Would not one 6 hour session work?

Thanks for your help!

R.Fortune

Six hours is probably not long enough, but the heating and cooling cycles don't have to be spread over three days.

jump /injack

Veteran
Pressure cooker

Pressure cooker

Six hours is probably not long enough, but the heating and cooling cycles don't have to be spread over three days.

Gray Wolf, what are you're thoughts on using a pressure cooker. I've used one with some success for some topicals that I use on my arthritic bother.