What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The True Origin of G13

GoatCheese

Veteran
Afghani cutting number 13 - was liberated from U-Miss. Then it went to Shantibaba in Amsterdam where it was bred with Mr.Nice. Neville obtained it afterwards and has been used in crossbreeding with the clone only strain: Northern Lights, Hashplant,....

I don't to know the true origin of the G13, but i don't think this is correct. I think it was Nevil who was working with the G13 clone before Shanti in Holland, and i'm not sure if Shanti himself ever had the G13 clone.

Here's a post from Shantibaba, in which he talks about Nevil and the G13 clone:
Shantibaba said:
Hi All

well it is always the start of a certain misinterpretation if I do not nip this bud as you all have valid ways of looking at the information stated, in my opinion.

Nevil worked for some years with the female clone G13 until it died.At this time he combined certain traits to gain original parent lines to preserve the G13 in a form that would express its genes. He passed me many years ago a seeds already to go on with...and before that I had passed on male pollen from the widow and the skunk#1 I was using...as we both did on several occasions.

When I got those seeds from Nevil they were labelled G13/sk. I therefore did a selection and combined the selected female to both males...skunk#1 and widow.But Nevil had also done a combination with the G13 to the widow pollen as well as the skunk #1pollen and in fact several others like G13/haze, G13 /ortega...and a few obscure others. The work I did was interbreeding then combining the 3 generation interbreed with the orignal male again...thus adding the strain description with the extra male label.During the interbreebing stages the main criterion was to select for G13 traits and not the Skunk, but considering all of you prefer to be definite as far as possible with the origins I liked to explain all the possible influences that the breed could express in F1 form.

Since this is not so simple to explain as breeding sometimes is it was simplified to the current description. Let me add I still have those old seeds of Nev as well as several lines of interbred seed at different stages so everything in my work can be replicated.As for the work from Nev, it cannot be replicated as there is no longer the pure G13 female. Hope that clears up as much as possible the ancestry of this question.All the best Sb

"Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner." -Lao Tzu

all the best,
Shantibaba
http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/3187-post12.html

Here's a post by a cannabis-legend Jim Ortega, in which he tells that the G13 cutting was(is) alive at the time and that he had even sold the G13 to a breeder:

Jim Ortega aka dogless said:
Hello my Brothers,
I am here to back a real bro for not disclosing me as his source in obtaining his G13 strain. It is a great pleasure knowing this person for being true to his word.
Dr. Greenthumb has been taking alot of crap for the nickname D/D that I labled some clones that I sold him. It has caused a shit storm at a couple of forums.
I owe Dr. Greenthumb a huge apology for the stress he is probably going thru.
I am apologizing to Dr. Greenthumb here since I have quite a few friends here that know a little about my history growing mj.
As most of you who know me can vouch that I have had the G13 strain since the mid 80's. Nevil can also verify that. And also that I had sold the strain for $25g's to a "canadian breeder" a while back. Btw, the 25g's were distributed to our group who had previously agreed to keep the strain locked down. Had the economy not gone to shit it would have never been sold.
Dr. Greenthumb bought the strain and not just the clone. He decided to make it available to the public in pure form and is basically selling the strain at around 1% of what he paid for it, which is quite a deal.
I would also like to extend my apology to Double D a moderator at another forum for stress he must have for the confusion about my labeling methods.

I also want all my bro's who have sent me pm's that I am answering each and everyone within the next couple of days. The Skunk that you all are after will be available as soon as Nevil decides what he wants to do with the strain as I am leaving it up to him.

Take care my brothers!
Jim

http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/6-breeders-support-information/6280-dr-greenthumbs-g13.html
:)

GoatCheese

Veteran
Yea.. Here's Shanti telling it was Nevil who brought/received (air mail?) G13 to Holland.

I'm thinking, did Nevil get the G13-clone originally from Jim Ortega, who was also the source of Nevil's Maple Leaf-seed line??

Shantibaba said:
Hi All

well read most of the thread and got to mention a few things that bother me.

First Neville offered the G13 originally and it was never copied ...only a decade later when Soma and Reeferman bought some old hybrid seeds from Nevil through third parties did it appear again in other companies. The original G13 mother died and only seed existed from the early 90s onwards. No one including Arjan ever had access to Nevil and my library of mothers and fathers...just what was on the greenhouse list pre 98...but considering no one kept things alive they were forced to use F1 seed to gain back things...but even then there was no access to G13 in any pure form.

So now that Medical seeds are offering G13 as a feminised seed or other companies are offering G13 hybrids...well they are only names with distant relation to the originals. People renamed things and use a common name to piggy back their new seed on to the market. Why would I tell the growers that G13 mother died if I was only interested in making money from other people's dreams of owning something pure? It is not my or Nevilles way so it is not the truth that so many of these G13 strains survived so well through time.

Since I re-released G13 skunk and G13 widow some years back the piggy backers took off again...and the legend was rekindled. Whatever you all believe I find it most difficult to believe there is a pure G13 alive. The best that could be expected would be an old F1 seed or even F2 seed...but most of the time it is a new breeder using an old name to sell his wares.It does not help anyone except that breeder and it would be best for them to rename it with affiliated origins attached to G13 in some way. I am really afraid that all these ways of new companies do not help clarify an urban myth but propagate it to the maximum.Those who believe what is written rather than research perpetuate the myth and so it goes on and on and on...just like this G13 myth. I am sorry to all of those who really educate themselves but the facts are so evident , if it were not for money makers in this industry maybe people who start their own seed companies would name their own seeds with original names and stop confusing the masses.

All the best Sb

peace

GoatCheese

Veteran
I am running the 88g13hash x brothers grimm afghani right now and I also have an airborne g13 from reeferman that I am about to bloom soon. heres a pic or 2 of the cross! This one is super sweet tasting probably from the afghani but I am gonna pop some more soon looking for a male to hit the ag with.

View Image

View Image

41 days 12/12
Looks very nice, LT.
Very similar bud structure to my G13-pheno of Motarebel's Gordy's Spice #18. ..this is from week 3 + in bloom
picture.php

picture.php

LostTribe

Premium user
I don't to know the true origin of the G13, but i don't think this is correct. I think it was Nevil who was working with the G13 clone before Shanti in Holland, and i'm not sure if Shanti himself ever had the G13 clone.

Here's a post from Shantibaba, in which he talks about Nevil and the G13 clone:

Here's a post by a cannabis-legend Jim Ortega, in which he tells that the G13 cutting was(is) alive at the time and that he had even sold the G13 to a breeder:

:)

Yeah Nevil was the first guy to get it from Jim aka Dogless. Dont believe Shanti ever had access to it as he joined Nevil many years later.

Doc GT is the dude that supposedly paid 25 large for the cutting and Dogless has mentioned in the doc g13 thread at mns backing that up.

I was checking out the Doc's current S1 offering but seems most reviews show it as mainly as a heavy producer of subpar buds. With uses mostly going to outcrossing rather than growing for consumption.

Havent seen any nice pics other than huge dense plants with out trichomes. G13 classically did not have a great taste either sort of grassy but upon outcrossing it would pass on the size factor.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Shanti has said that the G13 lines he offers are inbreeds he made from hybrid seeds he got from Nevil, selecting to the G13 side of things.

LostTribe

Premium user
been pulling Killer Queen beans out of my Airborne G13. The buds were completely seeded so not the best smoke but for fully seeded buds they are still retaining decent flavor and have excellent trichome coverage. Smoke is pretty strong indica too so that is nice to find and exactly as I had expected.

My Airborne was not the cutting but an S1 from Reeferman. He still has them available but you have to know where to look. They grow exactly as the cut. My bro ran the cut 2 years ago and I got some nugs when she was done. Nutty goodness and knockout without any paranoia!

LostTribe

Premium user
As for the true story you can find it over at MNS forum....Nevil chimed in and it was also confirmed the same cutting going to Dr. Greenthumb. Dogless aka Jim Ortega is known to have provided both with the original cutting. Dogless also had input on the thread. DGT has S1's available but they are not for everyone as he clearly has stated.

JetLife175

Veteran
As for the true story you can find it over at MNS forum....Nevil chimed in and it was also confirmed the same cutting going to Dr. Greenthumb. Dogless aka Jim Ortega is known to have provided both with the original cutting. Dogless also had input on the thread. DGT has S1's available but they are not for everyone as he clearly has stated.

I find the fact that Neville confirmed the Dogless clone that went to GT absurd. I've read it myself and have to disagree as to the years leading up to it g13 was always known as a low yielding afghanica with extreme Resin coverage that smelled of burnt rubber and grass clippings.:moon:

LostTribe

Premium user
I find the fact that Neville confirmed the Dogless clone that went to GT absurd. I've read it myself and have to disagree as to the years leading up to it g13 was always known as a low yielding afghanica with extreme Resin coverage that smelled of burnt rubber and grass clippings.:moon:

Burnt rubber and grass clippings are the exact words being used regarding Dr. Greenthumbs version. He has also stated that the feminization he believed led to an increase in vigor and increased yield.

ctg

Veteran
Pacific g

Pacific g

Wish I still had that girl. Had her for many years, pacific was always good to me.
Grew some of the most beautiful gardens I’ve ever seen or grown. Potent musky herb. My brother made muffins out of butter from an oz of Pacific, ate one nothing so ate another. He thought he was going to have to go to the hospital. Said thought he was stroking out. Lol
Preserve that girl. She’s fire in her own right and an heirloom for sure.
Beauty shot of her. Shows her glory for sure
-ct-

William76

I thot Pacifics cut was taken from a plant that was siezed in a dea raid?,and he was unsure of the lineage but it stood out coz of its resin and high the?,a different cut than the original but still potent and an excellent cut by all accounts.76

Latest posts

Latest posts