What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

300w LED + Alien Blackberry grow

mastergardner

What up. Been lurking around the led threads and finally decided to do a grow thread with my new LED. I’ve been on the fence for a while and decided to take the leap after seeing some success with other peoples grow. After doing much research, I decided to get some quality parts instead of ordering the ones made in china. The Chinese fixtures are cheaper initially but who knows what is under the hood? Could be a sweet ferrari body with a kia engine lol. Anywho, on with the show. I decided to go with a shorter strain and chose the Alien Blackberry for that purpose. It finishes anywhere between 2.5-4’. Soil will be the grow medium. I’m curious how much yield will result from this light.

-This is a legal prop 215 grow-

This is what I will be working with
• 1” thick foam walls with reflective material
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1
(originally was going with a tent but concerns with heat retention made me reconsider)
• 15 Alien Blackberry clones
• Soil
• 1 or 2 gallon pots
• 300w custom LED from ledsupply.com
*Carbon scrubber & fan will be added before the flip*
I am a newbie here. Mind if I ask what LED you are using? What is your soil?

mastergardner

I believe if you cross with pollen from a female of another species that has been forced to hermorphdite you will again get females. When a female is pollinated by a male plant you get seeds with both an X and Y chromosones so the chance of those seeds creating a female are about 50/50. However, if you pollenate a female with pollen from another female, as explained above, you wind up with a seed with a double Y chromosone. You get should be able to get both your hybrid plant and it should be female plant. At least that is the way it seems to work for me.

look what i scored today for $1 a piece. i have 2 pairs of fiskars but couldn't resist picking up some more trimming shears.

Attachments

• IMG_3047.JPG
    IMG_3047.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 23
S1 ~'selfed' equals pollinated itself ~1 single individual plant sexing itself up

pollinated another strain = F1 {well; another plant really}
crossing those F1 seeds to ea other = F2 and so on

scientifically we would consider 'true' F1s to be a primary cross between an established line {as IBL or landrace} but; many use the system as a note-keeping tool

whats IBL or landrace?

I believe if you cross with pollen from a female of another species that has been forced to hermorphdite you will again get females. When a female is pollinated by a male plant you get seeds with both an X and Y chromosones so the chance of those seeds creating a female are about 50/50. However, if you pollenate a female with pollen from another female, as explained above, you wind up with a seed with a double Y chromosone. You get should be able to get both your hybrid plant and it should be female plant. At least that is the way it seems to work for me.

i don't know about the 50/50 thing lol. i cracked 10 blue widow seeds to get 1 fem.. the rest were male.

can't wait to try the collodial silver to create some fems.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
whats IBL or landrace?

IBL inbred line; when a grower takes a cross to several generations of inbreeding to produce a stable line which breeds true

landrace; when nature does it ~as a wild stand open pollinating

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
well; i have dabbled in it, even making feminised seeds~ i m not the authority on these things by any means however

my knowledge of genetics actually doesnt stem from cannabis and; i have learned a great deal applying what i do know to cannabis w/ the aid of this site and members here

but we must be discretionary about saying we are breeders in this environ seeing as there are some very highly educated individuals who deserve a greater level of respect in that field than a lowly pollen chucker like myself

look what arrived in the mail today

should i start a new thread for creating fem seeds or combine it into this thread?

Attachments

• cs.jpg
    cs.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 23

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
thanks for the linky. what is STS method? i'll skim through that thread

STS is created with two chemicals; sodium thiosulfate and silver nitrate.

you spray it on the plants and it produces male flowers on a female. the plant self pollinates and creates all female seeds.

it can stain and the fumes aren't good for you, but like i said, i have used it successfully.

here's the thread.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=58957

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
is there an advantage to the sts?

i would think cs would be a more comfy thing to be handling

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
i've never used CS, but will soon. from what i have read (and i have to re-read to be sure) many sprayings are used.

with STS, i only sprayed 2 or 3 times.

that's all i can think of off the top of my head, but really need to re-read the CS technique as i already mentioned. don't wanna give bad advice, so i am hoping my memory is serving me correctly.

will try to look later, gotta go now.