What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pharmgold VaporHawg

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Can you provide a link to the heat exchanger you guys use? i didn't see one on pharmagold

also do you guys have any clients using the hawg with a px1?

Pharmgold has their heat exchangers custom wound and then finished in their shop. I discussed it with them and Catherine at sales@pharmgold.com can quote it you as a stand alone accessory. You would have to build your own mounting.

As designed, it would typically include the counter flow exchanger with a Swagelok tee on the butane discharge tube, containing a Type J thermocouple. All connections are 1/2" JIC. The thermocouple would have a short whip, with mini thermo jack plug.

Pharmgold does have a customer running a PX1, who I expect to visit today, to review how we might upgrade his system to take advantage of more of the Hawg's capabilities. It could easily run multiple units.

Larger plumbing, with bigger heat exchangers and chillers are of course easy upgrades, but the PX1 is still limited in collection pot surface area to boil from, so must rely on more heat for speed.

I will ask if they are open to discussing details with potential competitors.

Breakover

Upgrades went smoothly, and the hawg runs even smoother.

Very happy with the customer service! No other company we do business with would go the extra mile like PharmGold did.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pharmgold has their heat exchangers custom wound and then finished in their shop. I discussed it with them and Catherine at sales@pharmgold.com can quote it you as a stand alone accessory. You would have to build your own mounting.

As designed, it would typically include the counter flow exchanger with a Swagelok tee on the butane discharge tube, containing a Type J thermocouple. All connections are 1/2" JIC. The thermocouple would have a short whip, with mini thermo jack plug.

Pharmgold does have a customer running a PX1, who I expect to visit today, to review how we might upgrade his system to take advantage of more of the Hawg's capabilities. It could easily run multiple units.

Larger plumbing, with bigger heat exchangers and chillers are of course easy upgrades, but the PX1 is still limited in collection pot surface area to boil from, so must rely on more heat for speed.

I will ask if they are open to discussing details with potential competitors.

Pharmgold's VaporHawg client with the PX1, may not be the best person to discuss its performance on a PX1, because they have already heavily modified their PX1, starting with upgrading the plumbing sizes and adding a heat exchanger.

It also predates the unit Precision got certified, so may not represent what they currently offer.

He also added additional valves and ports to allow him to fully evacuate all sections of the system, including between the pump and recovery tank.

That said, recovery was fast and smooth, with back pressure rising to 60/65 psi, and the chiller slowly losing ground. The good news is it didn't lose enough ground before we finished the cotton candy extraction, to be a problem, but some recovery time will be required between runs.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Upgrades went smoothly, and the hawg runs even smoother.

Very happy with the customer service! No other company we do business with would go the extra mile like PharmGold did.

In the aerospace industry, from which the Pharmgold major stockholders came, upgrades typically include those in the field for safety reasons, but you are right about them attempting to set a "gold standard" in the botanical extraction industry.

Their business model is based on loyal repeat customers, vis a vis one time customer at a high margin.

I actually sort of liked watching your first edition when back pressure starting rising, because watching the pump and motor on separate isolation mounts was a little like watching a big busted woman jog up the stairs.

3 CHEERS for the Cyclone Filter!!!

Saved by the Cyclone!!!

We are training a new inhouse extraction operator, who is studying to become an engineer, He is a very keen student and studious operator doing a very good job and is a joy to work with. He is learning the extraction industry from the ground up, and started at the bottom, quickly working his way up.

We recently moved him up to start training on one of our MC-6D Tridents. This model has 3 x 4"x36" material tubes and a double recovery pot system (2 recovery chambers at 12"x18"). This system can be a little more challenging than some and unfortunately the rising level of butane/oil in one of the collection chambers got away from him leading to the system ingesting liquid butane and oil mixture.

The pumps start rapping loudly as the liquid tane hit them. After the system was shut down and inspection and cleaning commenced, we found that the Cyclone Filter had caught all of the whip/oil mix, separating it from the butane and collecting it on the inside side of the Cyclones walls. It was very easy to clean out and get back and up and running very quickly.

Good job and congrats to the Pharm Gold team!

PharmGold's Cyclone Filter definitely saved the pumps from any damage and we all walked away smiling! :tiphat:

Last edited:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
3 CHEERS for the Cyclone Filter!!!

Saved by the Cyclone!!!

We are training a new inhouse extraction operator, who is studying to become an engineer, He is a very keen student and studious operator doing a very good job and is a joy to work with. He is learning the extraction industry from the ground up, and started at the bottom, quickly working his way up.

We recently moved him up to start training on one of our MC-6D Tridents. This model has 3 x 4"x36" material tubes and a double recovery pot system (2 recovery chambers at 12"x18"). This system can be a little more challenging than some and unfortunately the rising level of butane/oil in one of the collection chambers got away from him leading to the system ingesting liquid butane and oil mixture.

The pumps start rapping loudly as the liquid tane hit them. After the system was shut down and inspection and cleaning commenced, we found that the Cyclone Filter had caught all of the whip/oil mix, separating it from the butane and collecting it on the inside side of the hawgs walls. It was very easy to clean out and get back and up and running very quickly.

Good job and congrats to the Pharm Gold team!

PharmGold's Cyclone Filter definitely saved the pumps from any damage and we all walked away smiling! :tiphat:

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

DrNibs

idk still waiting on a call back from pharmagold reguarding here sock filter, the vapor hawk looks like a cempol wih half it body missing, but the version that's like 15k is a beast and only for 30+ systems, you would never compare a cempol to a trs21

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
idk still waiting on a call back from pharmagold reguarding here sock filter, the vapor hawk looks like a cempol wih half it body missing, but the version that's like 15k is a beast and only for 30+ systems, you would never compare a cempol to a trs21

Pharmgold's sales awaiting dirty peectures from the manufacturer, so I called and stirred the pot with their supplier. Hopefully the peectures will be forthcoming.

The stainless sock filter case has a sanitary flange on top and bottom, and holds a 4" X 8" sock filter. As I recall, the top flange is 1 1/2" and the bottom 2".

The lid is held to the case with a sanitary clamp.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Peectures of the latest Pharmgold VaporHawg

Attachments

• VaporHawg-1-1.jpg
    VaporHawg-1-1.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 18
  • VaporHawg at assembly-1-1.jpg
    VaporHawg at assembly-1-1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 19

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ :thank you:

"JD Ellis and Joe Oakes are the original SkunkPharm Research founders. This is the team that brought you the plans for the very first, closed loop extractor.

Ellis aka Graywolf

JD Ellis, aka Graywolf, has over 40 years of facility layout, process development, and equipment building experience at companies like Precision Castparts Corp, Dillingham Marine and Manufacturing, Mercer Steel, and Pacific Cast Technologies. His equipment designs range from simple fixtures, to vacuum interlocked inert atmosphere weld chambers used in aerospace to weld exotic alloys. Along with his SkunkPharm Research cohorts, he gifted the industry with complete plans and parts list for the first Closed Loop Extractor.

Joe Oakes

Pharmer Joe has a degree in Chemistry and Bioscience Technology and worked as the R&D Director for SkunkPharm Research. When Joe is not tinkering on the latest new piece of hardware, he can be found assisting clients all over the world with Process Development, cGMP Implementation and innovations in bioactivated growth media."

http://www.pharmgold.com/about/

Attachments

• 1466635263896.jpg
    1466635263896.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 14

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ :thank you:

"JD Ellis and Joe Oakes are the original SkunkPharm Research founders. This is the team that brought you the plans for the very first, closed loop extractor.

Ellis aka Graywolf

JD Ellis, aka Graywolf, has over 40 years of facility layout, process development, and equipment building experience at companies like Precision Castparts Corp, Dillingham Marine and Manufacturing, Mercer Steel, and Pacific Cast Technologies. His equipment designs range from simple fixtures, to vacuum interlocked inert atmosphere weld chambers used in aerospace to weld exotic alloys. Along with his SkunkPharm Research cohorts, he gifted the industry with complete plans and parts list for the first Closed Loop Extractor.

Joe Oakes

Pharmer Joe has a degree in Chemistry and Bioscience Technology and worked as the R&D Director for SkunkPharm Research. When Joe is not tinkering on the latest new piece of hardware, he can be found assisting clients all over the world with Process Development, cGMP Implementation and innovations in bioactivated growth media."

http://www.pharmgold.com/about/

Add that as of 9-9-2016, the tattered old Gray Wolf is again retired.

HG23

I'm getting ready to put my Vapor Hawg into service soon.

I am going to be using it on a single 12" diameter collection pot to start out but am planning on having larger, ASME certified pots made to take full advantage of the Hawg's ability.

Do I need to consider a method to throttle the VH so it doesn't pull the collection pot into negative pressure during solvent recovery? I know you've mentioned it will do that when run on a single 10" pot.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm getting ready to put my Vapor Hawg into service soon.

I am going to be using it on a single 12" diameter collection pot to start out but am planning on having larger, ASME certified pots made to take full advantage of the Hawg's ability.

Do I need to consider a method to throttle the VH so it doesn't pull the collection pot into negative pressure during solvent recovery? I know you've mentioned it will do that when run on a single 10" pot.

No need to throttle the intake. Running negative pressure shouldn't be a problem.

Once it reaches steady state, the only way to speed it up without more surface area, is more heat.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What are you pharmer joe and the good folks at SPR doing these days now that pharmgold is no more?

Joe and Carla continue to consult, and the tattered old graywolf is focusing on other hobbies, like SPR and dog training. I also still consult with established WolfWurx clients and continue to work with NIOSH/OSHA developing cannabis workplace guidelines.

We lost our German Shepherd to cancer, and rescued a 6 year old male GS hard case, who was in danger of being put down. A wonderful loving dog that is sharp as a whip and snaps through training commands like a young Marine boot camper, but is over protective.

Trying to convince him that we are the bad asses, and all he has to do is let us know it's time to bite someone ourselves.

Joe and Carla continue to consult, and the tattered old graywolf is focusing on other hobbies, like SPR and dog training. I also still consult with established WolfWurx clients and continue to work with NIOSH/OSHA developing cannabis workplace guidelines.
If Joe is interested we are attempting to put together a wiped film system for sale to the public and that is right up Joe's alley.

We lost our German Shepherd to cancer, and rescued a 6 year old male GS hard case, who was in danger of being put down. A wonderful loving dog that is sharp as a whip and snaps through training commands like a young Marine boot camper, but is over protective.

Trying to convince him that we are the bad asses, and all he has to do is let us know it's time to bite someone ourselves.
I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure that with time he will spread the love you have put into him. Do you think he was taught to be aggressive, or do you think he suffered some trauma?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If Joe is interested we are attempting to put together a wiped film system for sale to the public and that is right up Joe's alley.

Is this AH and are you still at the same e-addy? I note you can't receive e-mails yet, but you can still reach me at graywolf@skunkpharmresearch.

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure that with time he will spread the love you have put into him. Do you think he was taught to be aggressive, or do you think he suffered some trauma?

I think it is more like he was pulled from his litter early and the original owners wasn't strong enough or experienced enough to be raising a German Shepherd. It is more like he is acting over protective, which they come by naturally and need to be taught otherwise.

So far with out fail, he has gone for their hands, and when he first arrived and I raised my voice to him, he would duck like he has been beaten, which I never to to a dog. Never met one I couldn't reduce to a quivering pile with just my voice.

He is far too smooth and well trained to have been locked away and abused, and clearly was even pampered to the point of being allowed on the furniture, because we had to retrain him otherwise.

I understand he bit a grand kid, and he is such a swell dog, I'm betting it broke their hearts to see him go.

hamstring

Veteran
GSD's I love the breed.

My first one is on my mantle we had her cremated. No way we weren't bringing her home forever.

I now have a two year old male working breed GSD and I would never have different breed of dog.. Once you own a GSD you fall in love forever.

I wish you the best with your new adventure.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GSD's I love the breed.

My first one is on my mantle we had her cremated. No way we weren't bringing her home forever.

I now have a two year old male working breed GSD and I would never have different breed of dog.. Once you own a GSD you fall in love forever.

I wish you the best with your new adventure.

Yeah, on generation six and the urn are stacking up. They are a different experience for sure and we are stuck on the breed for life.

More like having a precocious kid around....................

Thanks for the good thoughts!

Latest posts

Latest posts